Normal Topic Dr. Phil Passes Off Polygraphy as Science (Read 8842 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Dr. Phil Passes Off Polygraphy as Science
Sep 16th, 2005 at 1:53pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Shame on Dr. Phil McGraw, who yesterday (15 September 2005) falsely told viewers of his Dr. Phil show that polygraphs "are highly scientific." The opposite is true. While polygraphs may be profitable to daytime television talk show hosts seeking a ratings-boosting gimmick, there is broad consensus amongst scientists that polygraph lie detection has no scientific basis. Dr. Phil should know better.

Yesterday's installment of the Dr. Phil show was about the disappearance of Natalee Holloway, an American teenager who went missing in Aruba earlier this year. The following web page provides a summary of the show, including, among other things, an account of a "test" conducted by Dr. Phil's hired polygraph operator, Jamie Skeeters, of a witness in the case:

http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/575

Dr. Phil has previously been advised regarding polygraphy's lack of scientific underpinnings:

http://antipolygraph.org/articles/article-045.shtml

I think Dr. Phil's continued promotion of pseudoscience for entertainment purposes is despicable. You can send Dr. Phil your opinion here:

http://www.drphil.com/plugger/respond/?plugID=9164

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Re: Dr. Phil Passes Off Polygraphy as Science
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2005 at 4:39pm
My wife had the show recorded on our DVR and I watched it.

The polygraph was given through a translator, which is something I’ve never heard of before.  The examiner would ask the question, the translator would relay it, the subject would answer, and the translator would relay that.  It seemed ridiculous to me that they could even pretend it was going to get to the truth.

I sent him an email asking him to please do his own research on the accuracy of the polygraph rather than call up the APA and ask them if the polygraph works.  It never ceases to amaze me when someone will contact a polygrapher in order to find out if the polygraph is a useful tool in determining truth or deception.  Isn’t that like calling Big Tobacco and asking them if cigarettes are okay to smoke?

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ILGA_RITA
New User

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2005 at 7:44pm
I JUST HAPPENED TO BE HOME AND SAW THE PROGRAM. IT'S FRIGHTENING TO KNOW THAT SOMEONE AS POWERFUL AS DR. PHIL IS PERPETRATING THE MYTH. I HAVE ALREADY WRITTEN THE SHOW AND CHALLENGED DR. PHIL'S STAFF TO DO SOME RESEARCH ON ANTIPOLYGRAPH.ORG AND PRESENT A SHOW WITH SOME OF THE PEOPLE WHO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS SITE. I ENCOURAGE ALL OTHER PEOPLE ON THIS SITE TO DO THE SAME.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box CATX
New User

Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2005 at 9:20pm
It never ceases to amaze me that people watch his show.  He does no research on anything.  Check out his ramblings on gun control using "facts" pulled from thin air.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JunkMan
New User

Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2005 at 12:01am
Philly Boy is not the only guy that sensationalizes the use of the polygraph. Montel Williams and Maury Polvic have had their go at it too.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box furedy
User

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 12:06am
Regarding George's initial post on this topoic that referred to my email to Dr. Phil, I wanted to note that this email was sent several times both to his "we welcome your feedback" and to his assistant, but it was neither acknowledged nor put on the "feedback".  Apparently he only posts feedback that support his prejudices.  For most such prejudices, that's no problem, but this particular prejudice, backed by his great public guru-like authority, supports the second most serious social disease in North America  after AIDS. 

All the best, John 

IP Logged

Dr. Phil Passes Off Polygraphy as Science

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X