Normal Topic Does anyone know what its like? (Read 3115 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box cavhan7
New User

Does anyone know what its like?
Sep 15th, 2005 at 8:55am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have been thinking about what i wanna do with my life. I m gonna be deciding which college to go to and what not. If anyone has any information on what it is really like to be a cop, FBI, or CIA please respond. The usual impression i get is the stereotypical ones. Being a cop seems appealing to me because i think that i might see some "action". Being in the FBI seems like a good job because it sounds like a job that is different than any other job, and it also seems some what "adventure" like and exciting, almost as if you wont know when you ll be chasing down a serial killer on foot or what not. CIA just seems awesome to be like hey i m in the CIA or something. I believe i have a high chance of being in the CIA because i speak fluent korean and english. I can write in korean and i know everything about the culture that no language classes or etiquette classes will never be able to teach. I also dont have a typical asian accent when speaking english. SO i dont know, just help me out with the reality of the jobs that i m thinking about pursuing. I know that i have a misconception about these jobs so please help me get straightened out.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Re: Does anyone know what its like?
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 1:37pm
Paperwork, Paperwork, Papwerwork.

And a lifetime of working for bosses insecure in their own "success" and more often than not promoted for reasons other than merit.

Organizations heavy in layers slow to make decisions.

What you see on TV is not reality.  But you can basically work 9-5 (Fed jobs) and get a good retirement.  As a cop, you will probably get overtime.

Still interested?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 6:59pm
Cavhan

I was a cop for 30 years.  The job can can be very routine for  hours on end and then all of a sudden you can be  faced with horror and chaos. Some of the routine work isn't too bad like paper work, etc. Because you work by yourselff for long periods of time you have to constantly keep in mind the awesome powers and responsibilites that you have and your responsiblity to the people you serve and protect.  You have to always be respectful of the rights of the peole you serve. Sometimes this is hard to do becasue at the same time these same people will be literally spiting in your face. You have to learn to not take things personally, keep your self respect, and resist temptation on a daily basis. If you don't your going to get in trouble. Just remember that people expect you to be held to a higher satandard and this can be difficult at times. You may get to thinking that if I am to act like God then they should give me tons more money for the job.  You'll have to get used to living in a fish bowl and sometimes your family members will get treated unfairly because of who you are.  I had some bad and some good times as probably any cop will tell you.  Would I do it again? Probably, but I discouraged my son from bercomg a cop. Hope I helped.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 7:02pm
Cavhan,

Before I got into Law Enforcement I had a completely different idea of what is was like.   I went in pretty blind and got a good smack in the face when I actually began working the job.  It really is NOTHING like what you see on TV.  You can watch cops and you get a 10% idea of what it is like, but in reality the other 90% is so boring and unappealing that it isn't on the show.  

You never see the insane amount of reports and paperwork you have to write.  You never see the officers consistently having to defend themselves from false allegations of misconduct (remember the criminal you just arrested has nothing to lose by claiming you beat them or treated them unfairly).  You will also become sick to your stomach at the inefficiency of the court system as well as the management system within the department.  

You will almost always be working weekends and will usually not be able to attend family functions, holidays, get togethers etc. etc. etc.  You can go your whole career as an exemplary officer and then one day make ONE mistake and your career is OVER.  While this doesn't happen often, it happens and then you have an ex-officer entering a workforce where he is only qualified to be a security guard for 7 dollars an hour.

Catching criminals only to later see them on the street with a slap on the hand also tends to get pretty frustrating (especially when you spent 8 hours writing the reports and paperwork on that particular case).  I won't even get into the amount of protections and rights criminals have vs. the victims.

DEFENSE AND PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS (you will learn to truly dislike this breed of greedy bastards)

All in all you get to see society at its worst on a daily basis.

Let's not forget that many criminals would rather see you dead and wouldn't hesitate killing you if given the chance. 

http://www.odmp.org/year.php ;  

So now that I made it seem pretty bad I will go into the good part of the job.

Hmmm.... I really have to think about this.  I'm just kidding, in all seriousness I couldn't see myself doing any other job.  I guess it is just in a person to want to do this job.  I can't stand people who prey on the weak and at the end of my day I go home knowing I did my best to protect those who can't protect themselves.

The pay is good depending on which dept you work for.  Overtime also helps increase the take home amount.  There is a higher level of job security than with other jobs.  The retirements are decent, however Federal retirement really is not all that great compared to what some other local departments have.  (Federal does usually pay better though).

I work with a great bunch of people, I have made many friends in LE and can say that the job brings us all closer.  

Action, yes, you will see your share of action, though not as often as one migh think, but after a few years of it , it then becomes more than enough.  

There you have it, it isn't what it is like in the movies, but I really can't imagine doing anything else.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2005 at 7:20pm by dimas »  

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Does anyone know what its like?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X