Normal Topic AntiPolygraph.org Celebrates Five Years On-line (Read 6366 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

AntiPolygraph.org Celebrates Five Years On-line
Sep 14th, 2005 at 1:13pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Sunday, 18 September 2005 marks AntiPolygraph.org's fifth anniversary on-line, and this seems a fitting occasion to look back at what has been accomplished and what remains to be done.

Back in 2000, Gino Scalabrini and I decided to co-author a book on polygraph procedure and countermeasures. We were both false positive victims of polygraph screening, and had gotten to know each other through the website NoPolygraph.com (no longer on-line) that Glen Wallace founded in 1998.

Gino and I agreed that more public information was needed to enable those facing polygraph screening to protect themselves against the risk of a false positive outcome, and that it should be made available free of charge. We had already done a great deal of research into the polygraph literature, and work on the book progressed rapidly. Scientific polygraph experts David T. Lykken, John J. Furedy, William G. Iacono, and Drew C. Richardson kindly reviewed our manuscript and provided valuable feedback. Our fellow polygraph victims Mark Mallah and Bill Roche also helped to make it a better book.

As the book neared completion, we turned to considering how best to distribute it. We ultimately agreed that the best approach would be to create a new website for this purpose. While our immediate goal was to provide information to those who face polygraph screening, our ultimate goal was and remains the abolition of polygraphy. We settled on the name AntiPolygraph.org because it's easy to remember and tells the vistor up front what the site is about.

AntiPolygraph.org went on-line on 18 September 2000 and was an instant hit. The Lie Behind the Lie Detector was downloaded hundreds of times in its first week. Now in its 4th edition, it has been downloaded close to 200,000 times, while our home page has been accessed about a million times.

Snapshots of the AntiPolygraph.org home page at various times during the past five years are available from Archive.org's "WayBack Machine" here:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://antipolygraph.org

The AntiPolygraph.org message board opened on 29 September 2000. The first post is  here:

http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=Policy;action=display;num=...

Since then, there have been more than 18,000 posts and more than 2,300 users have registered. We're proud to provide this much needed, open forum for discussion and debate of polygraph issues.

In the past five years, we've answered literally thousands of public inquiries and granted numerous media interviews. We're also proud to have assembled the Internet's largest repository of polygraph documentation.

The polygraph community, seeing its dirty little secrets publicly aired and unable to reliably detect countermeasures, is running scared. An instructor at the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute has gone so far as to suggest that providing countermeasure information to the public should be outlawed. Polygraphers from federal agenies such as the CIA, NSA, and FBI, as well as examiners employed by state and local agencies, routinely ask examinees whether they've researched polygraphy on-line, some even mentioning AntiPolygraph.org by name. They rightly fear examinees knowing the truth about lie detectors.

Still, much work remains to be done. The federal, state, and local agencies that rely on polygraphs have willfully ignored the overwhelmingly negative findings of the National Academy of Sciences, just as they ignored the earlier findings of the Office of Technology Assessment. If anything, governmental reliance on the pseudoscience of polygraphy seems to be growing.

We still need members of Congress to sponsor a Comprehensive Employee Polygraph Protection Act. You can help by asking your representatives to sponsor this much needed legislation. See our Get Involved page for more on what you can do to help make polygraph reform a reality. With your help, we've succeeded over the past five years in making the truth about polygraphs much more widely known. In the next five, working together, we can put a long overdue end to polygraph screening.
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2005 at 9:16pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Re: Five Years On-line
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 2:34pm
Congratulations, George and Gino!  Your tireless work over the last five years provides not only evidence of the power of internet with regard to providing widespread unimpeded communication (far reaching and no longer able to be interfered with by powerful interest groups and bureaucracies who in days past have been able to squelch the truth) but also demonstrates what two bright and motivated people with limited resources can accomplish while facing formidable adversaries.  I dare say your site has made more information on the subject of polygraphy available to the public than all other sources of information combined in the last 100 years.  Both you and your adversaries realize that knowledge and information is the key to meaningful change.  Perhaps no one thing indicates to me the significance of what you do more than the fact that the polygraph community continues to attempt to hide the truth--does not yet (to its shame but with no surprise) have a single site where polygraph issues can be openly discussed  without censure (Does this fact embarass our professed seeker of truth and doctoral student, darkcobra2005?).  Polygraphers are not altogether stupid--they realize that open discussion and public enlightenment will be their undoing.  Cockroaches rarely turn on the lights.  But no longer can their ostrich approach to reality impede information dissemination.  That dissemination made possible in part by your tireless efforts will lead to the goals you aspire to, for yourselves and the public you serve, coming to pass.  In summary, it all comes down to...nice work, guys! Thanks from all of us.

Quote:

Sunday, 18 September 2005 marks AntiPolygraph.org's fifth anniversary on-line, and this seems a fitting occasion to look back at what has been accomplished and what remains to be done. 

Back in 2000, Gino Scalabrini and I decided to co-author a book on polygraph procedure and countermeasures. We were both false positive victims of polygraph screening, and had gotten to know each other through the website NoPolygraph.com (no longer on-line) that Glen Wallace founded in 1998. 

Gino and I agreed that more public information was needed to enable those facing polygraph screening to protect themselves against the risk of a false positive outcome, and that it should be made available free of charge. We had already done a great deal of research into the polygraph literature, and work on the book progressed rapidly. Scientific polygraph experts David T. Lykken, John J. Furedy, William G. Iacono, and Drew C. Richardson kindly reviewed our manuscript and provided valuable feedback. Our fellow polygraph victims Mark Mallah and Bill Roche also helped to make it a better book. 

As the book neared completion, we turned to considering how best to distribute it. We ultimately agreed that the best approach would be to create a new website for this purpose. While our immediate goal was to provide information to those who face polygraph screening, our ultimate goal was and remains the abolition of polygraphy. We settled on the name AntiPolygraph.org because it's easy to remember and tells the visitor up front what the site is about. 

AntiPolygraph.org went on-line on 18 September 2000 and was an instant hit. The Lie Behind the Lie Detector was downloaded hundreds of times in its first week. Now in its 4th edition, it has been downloaded close to 200,000 times, while our home page has been accessed about a million times. 

Snapshots of the AntiPolygraph.org home page at various times during the past five years are available from Archive.org's "WayBack Machine" here: 

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://antipolygraph.org ;

The AntiPolygraph.org message board opened on 29 September 2000. The first post is  here: 

http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=Policy;action=disp lay;num=1 

Since then, there have been more than 18,000 posts and more than 2,300 users have registered. We're proud to provide this much needed, open forum for discussion and debate of polygraph issues. 

In the past five years, we've answered literally thousands of public inquiries and granted numerous media interviews. We're also proud to have assembled the Internet's largest repository of polygraph documentation. 

The polygraph community, seeing its dirty little secrets publicly aired and unable to reliably detect countermeasures, is running scared. An instructor at the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute has gone so far as to suggest that providing countermeasure information to the public should be outlawed. Polygraphers from federal agencies such as the CIA, NSA, and FBI, as well as examiners employed by state and local agencies, routinely ask examinees whether they've researched polygraphy on-line, some even mentioning AntiPolygraph.org by name. They rightly fear examinees knowing the truth about lie detectors. 

Still, much work remains to be done. The federal, state, and local agencies that rely on polygraphs have willfully ignored the overwhelmingly negative findings of the National Academy of Sciences, just as they ignored the earlier findings of the Office of Technology Assessment. If anything, governmental reliance on the pseudoscience of polygraphy seems to be growing. 

We still need members of Congress to sponsor a Comprehensive Employee Polygraph Protection Act. You can help by asking your representatives to sponsor this much-needed legislation. See our Get Involved page for more on what you can do to help make polygraph reform a reality. With your help, we've succeeded over the past five years in making the truth about polygraphs much more widely known. In the next five, working together, we can put a long overdue end to polygraph screening.

« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2005 at 3:35pm by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Re: AntiPolygraph.org Celebrates Five Years On-lin
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 2:02am
While I do not completely agree with George's point of view on the polygraph, I really do think he has done an amazing job on this site, the book and especially establishing a place where people can vent about their unfortunate experience with the poly and know that they are indeed not alone.

Excellent job!

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 6:30am
To think when I first visited here, the Polygraph Countermeasure Challenge was less than six months old.  Hard to believe that no polygraphers have taken you up on it after more than three years.

While I do not have high hopes that the federal government will see reason on this topic any time soon, this web site is performing an invaluable service.  It's seen a lot of defensive polygraphers come and go, a lot of scared applicants, a lot of angry and confused victims of the polygraph, and a lot of interested folks who just came to learn more or fight the good fight.

Here's hoping this web site may one day be turned into a memorial to a misguided and discarded "technology" and the people who were hurt unnecessarily by its use.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 1:42pm
Congratulations George and Gino.  The work on this site is absolutely amazing and eye-opening.  This site speaks powerd about the democracies we live in and what is valued most in those societies.   

Funny that some of those in the employ of such democracies would be against this site, but "Truth will Prevail."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 4:11pm
George, Gino, and all charter members of this site:

1.  Thanks for keeping it an open forum with minimal censorship or administrative actions.

2.  For the most part, all posters are civil (a few nasty words here or there reflect the realities of life but few people do this for any length of time).

3.  When I was falsely accused of "not being within acceptable parameters," this site was invaluable because no one will ever know how insulting it is to have anyone "convict" my integrity based upon such a device and less than a school semester of training by the operator unless they have gone through it themselves.

4.  As far as I am concerned, one false positive is too many.   False positives being treated as "Acceptable collaterial damage" only reflects  the danger of trading our freedoms for security. 

5.  Benjamin Franklin stated that "The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either."  I do not believe that the use of the polygraph is a good trade for my security if it violates the Constitution's intent of due process.

Information is power, and like any power, it must be used wisely.  I believe this site provides information and empowers the readers with knowledge.  Unlike alot of government officials, I have faith that most Americans do want what is best for their Country and children. 

Do I think that the polygraph is going away in the near future? No.

Do I think that the polygraph is losing its intimidation factor in the FBI application process because of this site?  Most definitely.   This intimidation factor is the main reason quoted by most polygraphers for its continued use in the pre-screeing applicant process.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 6:22am
Congrats on five years. Thanks for providing a great public service and for your tireless efforts in helping to debunk the myths surrounding the polygraph. I cannot fully express how comforting it was to me to find this site after wondering how something could be so wrong with me that I could fail what I believed to be an accurate scientific test despite being so very  honest.   

George, you are to be commended for your tenacity and unwavering committment to the cause. If there was ever an applicant the FBI regrets failing, it undoubtedly must be you. How very unlucky for them. Again, congrats and keep up the good work!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2005 at 5:30am
Congratulations to George and all who have helped him create and maintain this website.  You have all done a fine job in the face of determined opposition and should be proud of yourselves.

I think that the lack of financial gain for George is a testament to his commitment and the veracity of his arguments against the polygraph.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

AntiPolygraph.org Celebrates Five Years On-line

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X