Normal Topic FBI Background Check (Read 5827 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LaPiovra
New User

FBI Background Check
Sep 14th, 2005 at 11:38am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
My BI started about 12 months ago. I saw some progress during the first few months. I haven't heard anything yet. How long does it usually take? I've read on this form some stories BI taking up to 12 months. How do you check the status of the background check. 
This is for a support postion. I received my conditional offer before the poly and drug test. 

Thanks.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Re: FBI Background Check
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 10:31pm
Dear LaPiovra,

Twelve months does seem somewhat on the long side for a background check unless you have had alot of overseas travel or contacts.  The latter significantly delays matters due to intercontinental transfer of sensitive material or information and obtaining reliable foreign verification sources.

The Director of the FBI has focused most of the applicant resources to specific vacancies that he wants filled which may have put yours on the backburner creating additional delay.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 1:31am
More than likely the delay is due to other factors that are out of your control such as budget, hiring freezes, vacancy being filled, waiting for the new years budget in October.

All in all the federal gov't is VERY slow at getting things done.

No news is usually good news.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LaPiovra
New User

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 7:43pm
Thanks for your reply. I did do a lot of travel oversees, especially across Europe. That could be it, anyways 12 months is a lot of time to check things out. Pretty soon I'll even forget the job description I applied for Smiley. Now I have another question, can the vacancy be filled by someone who's background check came in sooner? I wonder if they still guarantee that position after so many months.

Tx

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 10:32pm
Dear LaPiovra,

I am aware of some cases that took close to two years to adjudicate their background investigations.   As long as your conditional letter of appointment is not recinded, you should get the job.  You are going through the hardest part now.   

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box socaldude81
New User

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 8:47pm
Hello there, I read somehwere that they spend 20K on the background check for each applicant!  Is that really true?  What do they do?  Do they sit there and order agents to follow you around all month? Or was the statement i read just an exageration?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 8:56pm
The thing about FBI background checks is that they are usually conducted by FBI agents.  I know that most OPM background checks that are contracted out to private companies run in the range of 5-10 thousand dollars and these investigators are paid peanuts($12-$15/hr) compared to what a GS-13 FBI agent makes ($35 to $46/hr), so yes, it does seem very possible that an FBI background from start to finish can run as high as 20 thousand dollars.
Between tracking down all your references, employers, making phone calls, typing up reports, support staff that FBI employs and all the other factors that are involved in an investigation, it adds up pretty quickly.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

FBI Background Check

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X