Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) CIA poly (Read 16180 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box IC_employee
New User

CIA poly
Sep 12th, 2005 at 8:13am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I work for another agency in the IC, but since I am on location at CIA headquarters, I must pass the CIA clearance as well to get 'detailee status.'

I was very stressed/traumitized following the 2 days of poly tests, but after reading this site I feel so foolish.  I went in thinking this was going to be a piece of cake, because I had never done anything wrong in my life... or so I thought.  
Here's my story

During the intial screening in which the polygrapher asked If I needed to add anything I didnt mention onmy forms, basically to come clean about anything, I mentioned I once took a perscription med which was not mine for it's intended use, he says no big deal. 

post actual test, he says I failed the drug portion.  So I come clean and tell him I actually took this perscription  with alcohol one time.  Mind you this is the only incident in my life I've done any type of drug, or misused a perscription.

Other questions are asked, we get through in about 2.5 hours. 
day 1 summary:
polygrapher is VERY rude through out the test.  accuses me of using "counter measures," and threatens to stop the test.  Mind you, I have no clue what he's even talking about, but my allergies were really bothering me that day.  

day 2
This polygrapher seems nicer intially, but little did I know that later he would become the same rude hardass as the previous polygrapher the day before. 
Other than my non 100% truthful answer I discussed, I have absolutley nothing to hide in terms of anything I or they would consider major. 
Several test are administered.  The polygrapher seems to be convinced I am in touch with another governments intel agency.  I assure him I'm not, and we eventually move on. 

Here's were it gets really hard on me.  He tells me there is deception concerning my "have you commited a major crime" question.  That's absurd, of course not I think to myself.  He on the other hand is not having it.  
He continually grills me, saying I am lieing, saying I knew I would lie the moment I walked in, and that he doesn't believe a word I say because I was not 100% truthful regarding the perscription sleeping pill incident.  He threatens to have me arrested for falsifying government documents. 

I am a fairly tough guy both mentally and physically, but I am on the verge of tears here.  After about an hour in which I kept stating I had no other issues to admit, he finally stated the test would be reported 'unresolved.'  This was after I told him virtually everything I had done in my life that I could think of that could result in deception on my test.

Summary:
I felt very violated, and VERY ANGRY by their unproffesional practices.  My Psyche was damaged for a couple days because they basically made me feel that because I mixed a sleeping pill with beer once, and didnt feel comfortable enough to tell them intially, that I had no intergrity. After living a clean,moral lifestyle my entire life, this was very troubling.  The guy even had me worried I would now loose my job and TS/SCI clearance I already hold with another agency.  Maybe I will, I'm not sure and am still worried about this a little. 

I just wanted to share my experience, and it's nice to see I'm not the only one who has been troubled by these interviews. 

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2005 at 8:41am by IC_employee »  

IP Logged

New User

Re: CIA poly
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 9:00pm
49 views and no replies.  I'd really like to get some thoughts.  I feel like I failed the test, but Id still like to hear some thoughts

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NSAreject
Senior User

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 9:00pm
IC_employee,

A failed polygraph may affect your current TS/SCI; the
risks are not worth the rewards.  At any rate, a failed
polygraph will follow you, where ever you go.  You 
should never ask, if you passed, or failed - they will
assume that you believe you failed...
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2005 at 2:46am by NSAreject »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Johnn
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 9:01pm
I am sorry that you had to go through this experience.  I think that if someone mentions something to the polygrapher  on the onset "to come clean", they are pretty much doomed from the start.  Personally, before I took the polygraph, the polygrapher asked me if I wanted to come clean about something, and I told him that I want to add a job on my application  - one which I failed to mention - but not deliberately.  I "came clean" about the job because initially, I thought that because I've only worked in it for about 1 month - pre college, that I didn't have to put it down.  But then I remembered that they finger printed me, and so I informed the polygrapher - but not because I had anything to hide - I left that job because I hated it and because I could - I was a young kid living with my parents -nothing else.  But of course, the polygrapher made it seem as if there was a  huge story behind it, although we didn't dwell much on it - only 5 minutes.   
or so I thought..
Well, lo and behold, at the end of the exam, the polygrapher said that I was having a problem with the drug usage question, and I told him that I don't know what he's referring to.  He then told me that the same way I ommitted the job could possibly be the same way that I am ommitting the drug usage.  I told him that I grew up religious (although I didn't mention the denomination), and he just looked at me like, "yeah, eveyone tells me the same thing".   

I'll give him this much - at least he didn't accuse me of lying directly and our post interrogation didn't last for more than 10 minutes, but he did say that there was definitely a problem with the drug usage question.   In any case, at the end, he said, "well, I'll attach a statement to your charts, but it don't look too good".   

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 9:02pm
by the way, did he tell you directly if you failed or not? Is there anyone you can call to confirm?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 9:02pm
well, in this case the status quo is that it does not effect my currect clearance.  In fact, the last 4 people in my office who were designated to obtain the same clearance as me were rejected, and simply assigned to a different location. so I'm 99 % sure that's what will happen to me.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 9:06pm
Johnn wrote on Sep 12th, 2005 at 9:02pm:
by the way, did he tell you directly if you failed or not? Is there anyone you can call to confirm?

I asked him If I failed, and he said he does not make that determination.

I would just like to reiterate that I realize what I did in regard to not being 100% truthful on something that would have otherwise been trivial.  The point of my post was these 2 session really made me question our government and their morality. It really shook me up

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 9:19pm
IC_employee wrote on Sep 12th, 2005 at 9:06pm:

I asked him If I failed, and he said he does not make that determination.

I would just like to reiterate that I realize what I did in regard to not being 100% truthful on something that would have otherwise been trivial.  The point of my post was these 2 session really made me question our government and their morality. It really shook me up

Oh believe me, I completely understand - and I only had one three hour session.  I never thought that I'd be accused of something as drug usage.  As a matter of fact, I was hoping to be out of there in 1 hour, because I've never done anything to the effects of the things in the application in my life.  The national security is definitely not an issue for me, drug usage - I grew up Mormon, so not even alchohol was I allowed to consume.  So you can imagine how I now view those feebees and everyone else who adminsiters and accepts as scientific hard-core evidence, the polygrah.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 9:25pm
IC employee,

If the CIA considered your admission about taking a prescription medication with alcohol to be disqualifying in and of itself, then you probably would not have been brought back for a follow-up polygraph session.

You may be interested in retired CIA agent Melissa Mahle's observations on the Agency's polygraph policy:

http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=Policy;action=display;num=...

Former director James Woolsey has also called on the CIA to "radically curtail" its reliance on polygraphy:

http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=Policy;action=display;num=...

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Eastwood
Senior User

Reply #9 - Sep 24th, 2005 at 5:24am
A "tough guy" on the verge of tears because you can't clear a drug issue on a polygraph?  Better stick to your Mr Mom job bud

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #10 - Sep 24th, 2005 at 2:57pm
Eastwood wrote on Sep 24th, 2005 at 5:24am:
A "tough guy" on the verge of tears because you can't clear a drug issue on a polygraph?  Better stick to your Mr Mom job bud

Wow, Eastwood.  You're SO cool, coming across as a total macho-macho-man here...

IP Logged

New User

Reply #11 - Sep 25th, 2005 at 3:10am
Eastwood wrote on Sep 24th, 2005 at 5:24am:
A "tough guy" on the verge of tears because you can't clear a drug issue on a polygraph?  Better stick to your Mr Mom job bud

you're a classy guy.
I have no children, and I already have clearance with another agency. Nice try though sh!t head

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #12 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 3:01am
IC_employee wrote on Sep 25th, 2005 at 3:10am:

you're a classy guy.
I have no children, and I already have clearance with another agency. Nice try though sh!t head

Does the agency you are with now conduct polygraph tests?

Nonombre

IP Logged

New User

Reply #13 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 5:17pm
they do not do life style polys, they only do counter intel

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #14 - Sep 27th, 2005 at 1:38am
IC_employee wrote on Sep 26th, 2005 at 5:17pm:
they do not do life style polys, they only do counter intel

Maybe you can talk your current agency into doing the test on you if all they ask is "counter intel" questions.  That would seem fair since you really belong to them anyway.  Wouldn't that take care of the problem?

Nonombre

P.S.  I am not a intelligence agency polygraph examiner, so forgive my ignorance, but what exactly are "counter-intel" questions?  Is that like, "Are you trying to infiltrate my agency?"

???

IP Logged

CIA poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X