Normal Topic Watch a good man fall? (Read 2517 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LongBus
New User

Watch a good man fall?
Sep 9th, 2005 at 7:31am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
It is with serious dismay, that I may admit my deviant behavior in my early 20's. Yes I have smoked MJ and don't do it anymore, however, will it be to my advantage to "stare at a dot on the wall" when these questions arise whist being questioned? I get the idea, from pursuing these posts that I will have to be more stronged willed when the post-exam is taking place. I have high morale character and don't want to fail this procedure. However, I feel this test is more about an interrogation, and breaking one down, rather than obtaining the real truth about one's past. Can anyone confirm the fact that my poly tester & BI will grill me to no avail once a positive reaction is registered on the machine? This is my first exam and harbor many trepidations

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Re: Watch a good man fall?
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2005 at 10:00pm
LOngbus:

Of course he is going to question you if he thinks your'e lying.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 12:36am
LongBus wrote on Sep 9th, 2005 at 7:31am:
I have high morale character and don't want to fail this procedure. However, I feel this test is more about an interrogation, and breaking one down, rather than obtaining the real truth about one's past. Can anyone confirm the fact that my poly tester & BI will grill me to no avail once a positive reaction is registered on the machine? This is my first exam and harbor many trepidations

Unfortunately, the presence (or absence) of high moral character has nothing to do with passing a polygraph exam.  Ironically, neither does telling the truth.   

I told the complete truth on all four polygraphs I have taken.  I failed the first three and passed the fourth, even though my answers were the same in every test.  When you are telling the truth it’s easy to keep giving the same answers over and over.

Why did I fail the first three and pass the fourth?  My moral character didn’t change from test to test, so that can’t have anything to do with it.  My truthfulness didn’t vary from test to test, so that can’t be the answer.

If you can come up with any answer other than that the polygraph is absolutely worthless when it comes to the detection of deception in pre-employment screening, I’d like to know…

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 12:51am
Longbus,

I can only report on the experience I had in the "chair."  I was not grilled whatsoever by the background interviewer.  The polygraph examiner, however, did in fact pursue to great lengths (grill) my history with regard to drug experimentation.  This took place in the pre-test interview.  Then he asked the question in the in-test and received the physiological response which he influenced, induced and incited.  There was no post-test, only a hand shake and the advice to be sure to provide any outstanding materials which had been requested by the hiring unit.  I left looking forward to receiving the call for the medical or psychological portions.  To my dismay, a couple weeks later a letter arrived, thanking me for my application, however the agency was seeking more qualified applicants.

However, I think it is quite possible that I didn't get questioned further after the in-test because the polygrapher knew that he had in fact influenced his chart graffitti by his extensive misconduct in the pre-test phase.

IP Logged

Watch a good man fall?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X