Normal Topic He says I failed (Read 4665 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JB933
New User

He says I failed
Sep 7th, 2005 at 5:59pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I took a polygraph yesterday morning for a LE agency.  The guy was polite, at the beginning.  The whole test consisted of relevant questions, no controls.  He went over the 15 or 20 questions twice.  Everything he did went by what the book said.  Then, he tells me that one question is bothering me.  He asks me "what question do you think it is".  I said it was probably the one about undetected crimes, he nods.  I told him that I have nothing to hide and that noone could be 100% sure that they have never committed an undetected crime.  He accused me of lying and told me that I failed.  I didn't admit to anything (I had nothing to hide), and he told me I could leave.  Is it possible that he was bluffing?  And, will they share my results to other agences that I am applying to?  This was a private polygraph place, not a police dept. one.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Johnn
Very Senior User

Re: He says I failed
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 6:27pm
JB933 wrote on Sep 7th, 2005 at 5:59pm:
I took a polygraph yesterday morning for a LE agency.  The guy was polite, at the beginning.  The whole test consisted of relevant questions, no controls.  He went over the 15 or 20 questions twice.  Everything he did went by what the book said.  Then, he tells me that one question is bothering me.  He asks me "what question do you think it is".  I said it was probably the one about undetected crimes, he nods.  I told him that I have nothing to hide and that noone could be 100% sure that they have never committed an undetected crime.  He accused me of lying and told me that I failed.  I didn't admit to anything (I had nothing to hide), and he told me I could leave.  Is it possible that he was bluffing?  And, will they share my results to other agences that I am applying to?  This was a private polygraph place, not a police dept. one.

Isn't the stress unbearable?   When I asked my polygrapher (FBI) if I failed, I saw his eyes open wide as if I put him on the spot.  He refused to say that I failed - he just kept on saying that  "there is a discrepancy with your psyiological symptoms and the drug question".   For some reason or another he didn't provide me with an answer- I think it's because the charts are reviewed by someone else - maybe headquarters, and the tester might not be at liberty to say.  (correct me if I'm wrong). So in your case, if your polygrapher told you outright that you failed, I would guess, based on my experience that you did.    

But, on a more severe  side note, the fact that you told him what specific question was bothering you before he told you, put you in the polygrapher's "automatic trap".  So yes, I guess based on my expereince and the documents that I've read here after my experience that you did indeed fail.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 7:40pm
Well, he said "you failed the test", so I guess I did.  He tried to get me to admit to something, but since I had nothing to give him he got confrontational and pissy.  The whole "I can't help you if you don't help me" crap Roll Eyes.  I just hope this doesn't hurt me too much with other agencies that I have applied to, that really wouldn't be fair.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 9:10pm
JB933,

While it is possible that your polygrapher was bluffing when he told you that you "failed," it seems more likely that he meant it.

The agency with which you applied can, and probably will, share your polygraph results with other agencies with which you apply.

Additionally, if other agencies with which you apply use the same polygrapher, your chances of "passing" will be quite slim, because that would entail the polygrapher contradicting his own earlier result.

Even worse, during the "pre-test" phase, polygraphers always ask examinees whether they have been polygraphed before. At that point, you have little choice but to mention your previous polygraph failure. This will tend to bias the polygrapher against you from the outset.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 11:16pm
Some of the other places I applied use the CVSA, and I guess that they will indeed share my results with each other.  Like I said above, I did not have anything to hide.  So, if an examaner asks me if I have had a poly before, I can say I was nervous and that I was honest.  He did not say I was deceptive on any of the drug, DUI, stealing/theft, honesty questions.  It was an undetected crime question, and I was being truthful.  My only hope is that this will not ruin my chances of becoming a cop forever.  I am extremely disappointed with myself and this whole process, I thought I was headed to do some good and now some poly "expert" calls me a liar to my face.  It has been a very discouraging day.  Any advice would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2005 at 12:19am by JB933 »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Johnn
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 1:07am
JB933 wrote on Sep 7th, 2005 at 11:16pm:
Some of the other places I applied use the CVSA, and I guess that they will indeed share my results with each other.  Like I said above, I did not have anything to hide.  So, if an examaner asks me if I have had a poly before, I can say I was nervous and that I was honest.  He did not say I was deceptive on any of the drug, DUI, stealing/theft, honesty questions.  It was an undetected crime question, and I was being truthful.  My only hope is that this will not ruin my chances of becoming a cop forever.  I am extremely disappointed with myself and this whole process, I thought I was headed to do some good and now some poly "expert" calls me a liar to my face.  It has been a very discouraging day.  Any advice would be appreciated.

I"ve been doing a lot of research on the polygraph lately - believe me, I now completely understand George's "obsession".  It's very traumatic to have to go through this ordeal.  In any case, I found out that a lot of people are accused of using drugs.  It's unbelievable.    Funny, since my polygrapher told me that "it's very rare for people to come here and say they've  never used drugs".  What a load of baloney.

Here is a thread on polygraphs in a job searching site:
http://forums.monster.com/viewmessage.asp?messageid=4061412

THe last poster ends it perfectly.  Smiley

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 1:19am
I was thinking about calling the recruiter or HR person at the dept and explaining that everything was going well, or so I thought, and he accused me of lying...that my chart was "all over the place". I can't think of anything else I can do. My only hope is that my CVSA comes out okay in a couple of weeks and that I get a job offer from the other agency I applied at.  Maybe they will never hear about this...or maybe I'll have some explainging to do.  I really have nothing to hide so hopefully it will work out okay.

IP Logged

He says I failed

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X