Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Way to go NOPD! (Read 14382 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Re: Way to go NOPD!
Reply #15 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 12:24am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Dimas wrote:
Quote:
It seems very odd, I simply wrote the description of the officers, nothing was meant to be inferred or read into it, but already TWO of you that are caucasian seemed to have read into it your own prejudices and inferred that it was an attack on the officers race and ethnicity.  Had I wanted to make a point about that I would have capitalized it or made a comment regarding that issue.

Dimas,

You are correct that you were only providing a description of the officers.  However, for the purposes of this message board the only description necessary was two fully uniformed officers.  Gender and ethnicity were unnecessary to make your point.  Your anger was properly directed given that the two were in full uniform and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent.

Quote:
I highly suggest that you READ posts as given and not make assumptions about what is being written.

This is what I asked of you in the other thread, but to no avail.  Your previous comments to me illuminated your current commentary.  That was your doing.

Quote:
Funny, but it isn't my true colors that were flown, I made no attack on the officers for their race or ethinicity, I made the attack based on the fact that they were OFFICERS IN FULL UNIFORM that were LOOTING!  It is you who made the inference out of your own prejudices/racism.  Once again Brandon, it seems to me that you have a REAL problem with minorites.

As you know little about me personally, you know even less regarding my blood-lines.  For me to have a problem with minorities would be for me to have a baseless problem with my family and myself.  I'm not into the self-loathing thing.     Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #16 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 1:56am
Brandon,

I believe you are now piling the BS pretty high.

I merely refer you back to the original post I had a problem with you about:

http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=police;action=display;num=...

Yes, Brandon, self loathing or not it appears that you do have a problem with minorities in law enforcement.

I am not sure if you are or are not a LEO, but the fact of the matter is that when you are writing a report or statement you include a description of the subject you are talking about.  This includes their race and ethnicity so that there is no mistake about whom one is referring to.  As there are many reports of police officers engaging in the act of looting, I felt that indeed the ethnicity and gender of the specific officers I was referring to was needed to avoid redundancy in a message thread about the same officers.  This was placed there as a DESCRIPTION of the two and not for any other reason than that.  I cannot control what any of you infer or read into what is written, but it does bother me (doesn't surprise me) that you immediately inferred it was a racial issue.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #17 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 3:44am
dimas wrote on Sep 3rd, 2005 at 1:56am:
Brandon,

I believe you are now piling the BS pretty high.

I merely refer you back to the original post I had a problem with you about:...

Yes, Brandon, self loathing or not it ...

"Am not."

"Are too."

"Am not."  

"Are too."

"Mine's bigger."

C'mon guys.  Time to give this a rest.  Everybody has a bit of a bias.  However, one should try to overcome that and treat others as they'd want to be treated themselves -- regardless of race, gender, or shoe size.

Let's kiss and make up and get back to doing what we do best -- exposing the fraud of the century (and how it relates to Law Enforcement and other situations).

I think having a rational discussion around race is relevant; but this dialog on who's less racist (or more racist) is non-constructive.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #18 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 4:30am
lol, thanks for the laugh...

I did not mean AT ALL for this thread to be centered around race, I meant it to expose the corrupt cops and perhaps drive through the point that you cannot pay cops table scraps and expect to have a professional police force.

Unfortunately, it was somehow turned into a racial thread for reasons that only Brandon knows.

But for the record MINE IS BIGGER Grin

So, I digress, and get back to the point that it is unfortunate that police officers have lost all sense of integrity and resorted to turning into criminals themselves instead of upholding the law.  The actions of these few, will overshadow the heroism of the many in the NOPD.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #19 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 6:30am
I think ultimately what this shows is that cops are humans, and a reflection of the communities they serve (and presumabley, the communities they come from).  Much along the same way the military is a cross-section of society.  With many good,  you get some bad (which we know the polygraph is ineffective at fully screening out).

I think the human tragedy of New Orleans is unlike anything our country has seen in over 100 years.  Absolutely amazing.  A few cops have tarnished the reputation of their department.  Much the same way as a few citizens have tarnished the image of the city.

But that's life, and events like this bring out the best in many and the worst in some.  Either way: those people need our help and the police have a very tough job to do.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #20 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 9:38pm
Point taken.  I only felt it necessary to mention and hi-lite the exact description due to the previous thread for which Dimas has kindly provided a link up above.  This exchange has only provided proof that words with no ulterior meaning are routinely twisted into a completely out-of-context interpretation.  I did that because I felt the same was done to me in the afore-mentioned thread.

Dimas, no I am not currently or previously a LEO.  Our "good friend" the polygraph saw to that.  However, I do realize, as you pointed out, a suspect description is essential.  Yes, I am sensitive to subjects regarding race.  I do my best to ensure that words I speak cannot be misconstrued.  Unfortunately, this is not always the case and I am sometimes unfairly branded as I did to you.

Now onto the NOPD.  Isn't this the same department that experienced some of the worst corruption in the last 20 years?  Perhaps the city leaders did not do the job they promised by weeding out departmental corruption.  The actions of these 2 criminals in uniform certainly lend to this assumption.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #21 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 2:35am
Quote:

Now onto the NOPD.  Isn't this the same department that experienced some of the worst corruption in the last 20 years?  Perhaps the city leaders did not do the job they promised by weeding out departmental corruption.  The actions of these 2 criminals in uniform certainly lend to this assumption.

I tried to find out how far back the NOPD has been polygraphing and I came up on a news article about a cop from the 70's who had taken the pre-employment polygraph for NOPD.  If they have indeed been polygraphing since then,  one has to wonder WTF happened?   

I found an article relating to a crooked Louisiana cop that was recently busted for some "child predator" charges.  While I am VERY glad this scumbag has been caught, it strikes me as odd that assistant chief of the dept. is actaully bewildered as to "how" this guy made it past their "extensive pre-employment polygraph and background".   

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/sttammany/index.ssf?/base/news-3/1124866418219740.x...

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #22 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 3:14am
The example I was thinking of was one in which a NOPD officer was drug dealing and committed murder.  Unfortunately, I do not recall if it was murder by his hand or for hire.  No difference really as the outcome was the same.  It is perhaps a long-running deep seeded corruption that has led to this most recent improper display of criminal behavior.  Although, at this time, I have no suggestion for shedding light on and abolishing such corruption, I do not believe the answer to be polygraph screening.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #23 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 4:05pm
Well obviously NOPD has demonstrated that the polygraph is not a good tool at eliminating officers who will become corrupt or even at catching them prior to employment.   

Yes, the polygraph is a great tool at eliciting confessions, but it is failing miserably for the NOPD.   

Ultimately, I think the pay structure of the department that is having the undesriable effect.  You get what you pay for and when you don't pay then you get crap officers who breed miscontent and corruption.

In a similar comparison of cities populations close to that of New Orleans (or what it had) one can see the following discrepancy in pay from year 1 to year 30, as well as the cost of living compared to NO.

Austin           42,000-  74,762  +7%
El Paso         30,500-  49,812   -1%
Charlotte      32,214-  52,474   -10%
Memphis       40,500-  47,654    +1%
New Orleans 29,978-  34,797   

As you can clearly see the pay for NO sucks, there is no kind way of putting it.  $30,000 is great money for a 23 year old without a family, but how the heck is a 45 year old with a family supposed to live off of $35,000 with over 20 years in on the force?   

IP Logged

Way to go NOPD!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X