Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Aren't you being a little dishonest here? (Read 51275 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mercible
New User

Darkcobra IS my Father!

Re: Aren't you being a little dishonest here?
Reply #75 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 7:03pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Well, hope everyone had a great weekend.  I see some of you spent a portion of your weekend posting some very interesting responses.  

So, let me delve further into the discussion.  Essentially you have agreed with my point that the machine itself isn't the issue.  So, the real delimma is whether or not a person can review the machine's output to draw a reasonable conclusion as to deception.  

Darkcobra states that the output of the machine can indicate stress.  I think we can all agree that his statement is true, at least I didn't see anyone who opposes that statement.  So, now it boils down to whether the indication of stress on the charts can be reasonably interpreted to find a person deceptive or truthful. 

So, it's time to use another analogy.  Navy submarines use sonar.  If you have ever seen the output of a sonar system, it looks much like a bunch of garbled static on a screen.  To the untrained eye, this waterfall display looks really neat, but doesn't mean a thing.  With just a "few months of training" a sonar technician can use the data on the screen to draw conclusions about the output.  What kind of contact they are seeing, man-made or natural.  Whether the contact is on the surface or submerged.  Where the contact is located, what speed and heading the contact is on.  They can use a sophisticated computer to help them identify which ship they are looking at too.  Yet, even this multi-million dollar system is not 100% accurate and the consequences of "getting it wrong" are much more dire than that of a botched polygraph exam.    

So why do I use this analogy, you ask?  Because, similar to polygraph, this interpretation of what appears to be nonsensical visual data is really more art than science.  Even though a sonar technician only has a few months of in-class training, it takes a few years of patrols for a sonar tech to truly be competent.  In other words "Experience" is needed.  Even then, some sonar technicians are horrible at the job.  They just don't have the knack for this kind of thing.  

I put forth that an examiner, even with in-class training still has to have some real world experience and must be naturally inclined to this kind of work.  I would submit that the vast majority of examiners don't fall into this category and therefore are the root cause of the problems you see with the exams.  They simply cannot use the "wavy lines" on the page to draw a reasonable conclusion, much less an accurate conclusion.  

I would submit to you that there are a few examiners out there who do have what it takes.  They have real world experience both before and after polygraph school as well as a natural inclination to "reading" people.  I don't think that kind of thing can be taught.

George, I think that you would be that kind of person. Because of your background in interrogation, you naturally know how to read people.  You would know how to prepare a subject for the exam.  You would know how to get them to focus on the relevant information.  When you saw the "stress" reaction on the chart, you would not  immediately assume the subject was lying to you, instead you would know how to properly probe for additional information to either account for or discount the reaction.  

As stated in my earlier post, the medical community does not rely on a single medical test to make a diagnosis.  One test simply becomes an indicator of something that needs to be further examined.  A series of tests may need to be conducted to finally come to a reasonable diagnosis. Even then, they are sometimes wrong too. 

In conclusion, I believe that the "machine" in the hands of the right person CAN be used to accurately detect deception.  Even then, a further examination through interrogation, background check and other resources should be used to verify a "reaction" on a chart.  

I do not advocate the use of a polygraph exam to determine someone's guilt or innocence. Also I do not advocate the use of the exam in determining someone's suitability for employment.  I do advocate the continued use of polygraph as a part of a larger process in getting to the truth.

But, that's just my opinion.  What's yours?
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2005 at 8:08pm by Mercible »  

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction. Prov 1:7

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #76 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 2:23am
Mercible wrote on Oct 31st, 2005 at 7:03pm:
Navy submarines use sonar.  If you have ever seen the output of a sonar system, it looks much like a bunch of garbled static on a screen.  To the untrained eye, this waterfall display looks really neat, but doesn't mean a thing.  With just a "few months of training" a sonar technician can use the data on the screen to draw conclusions about the output.  What kind of contact they are seeing, man-made or natural.  Whether the contact is on the surface or submerged.  Where the contact is located, what speed and heading the contact is on.  They can use a sophisticated computer to help them identify which ship they are looking at too.  Yet, even this multi-million dollar system is not 100% accurate and the consequences of "getting it wrong" are much more dire than that of a botched polygraph exam.    

So why do I use this analogy, you ask?  Because, similar to polygraph, this interpretation of what appears to be nonsensical visual data is really more art than science.  Even though a sonar technician only has a few months of in-class training, it takes a few years of patrols for a sonar tech to truly be competent.  In other words "Experience" is needed.  Even then, some sonar technicians are horrible at the job.  They just don't have the knack for this kind of thing.   

I put forth that an examiner, even with in-class training still has to have some real world experience and must be naturally inclined to this kind of work.  I would submit that the vast majority of examiners don't fall into this category and therefore are the root cause of the problems you see with the exams.  They simply cannot use the "wavy lines" on the page to draw a reasonable conclusion, much less an accurate conclusion.   

I would submit to you that there are a few examiners out there who do have what it takes.  They have real world experience both before and after polygraph school as well as a natural inclination to "reading" people.  I don't think that kind of thing can be taught.

George, I think that you would be that kind of person. Because of your background in interrogation, you naturally know how to read people.  You would know how to prepare a subject for the exam.  You would know how to get them to focus on the relevant information.  When you saw the "stress" reaction on the chart, you would not  immediately assume the subject was lying to you, instead you would know how to properly probe for additional information to either account for or discount the reaction.   

As stated in my earlier post, the medical community does not rely on a single medical test to make a diagnosis.  One test simply becomes an indicator of something that needs to be further examined.  A series of tests may need to be conducted to finally come to a reasonable diagnosis. Even then, they are sometimes wrong too. 

In conclusion, I believe that the "machine" in the hands of the right person CAN be used to accurately detect deception.  Even then, a further examination through interrogation, background check and other resources should be used to verify a "reaction" on a chart.   

I do not advocate the use of a polygraph exam to determine someone's guilt or innocence. Also I do not advocate the use of the exam in determining someone's suitability for employment.  I do advocate the continued use of polygraph as a part of a larger process in getting to the truth.

But, that's just my opinion.  What's yours?

Good analogy, Mercible.  I would add however, that independent of the "art" as practiced by accomplished polygraph examiners, there is a body of research that indicates (at least in the case of criminal specific issue testing) that a properly administered CQT polygraph examination will detect deception at levels significantly above chance.

Regards,

Nonombre

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #77 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 7:52am
Mercible wrote on Oct 31st, 2005 at 7:03pm:
Darkcobra states that the output of the machine can indicate stress.  I think we can all agree that his statement is true, at least I didn't see anyone who opposes that statement.

I wouldn't disagree that reactions recorded by a polygraph can be indicative of stress, but reactions might also be attributable to emotions such as fear, anger, or embarrassment or they could be the result of purposeful manipulation by the examinee.

Quote:
So, now it boils down to whether the indication of stress on the charts can be reasonably interpreted to find a person deceptive or truthful.

It can't. The examiner has no way of knowing what caused a reaction. There is no "Pinnochio response" measurable by the polygraph that people produce only when they answer a question deceptively.

Quote:
So, it's time to use another analogy.  Navy submarines use sonar.  If you have ever seen the output of a sonar system, it looks much like a bunch of garbled static on a screen.  To the untrained eye, this waterfall display looks really neat, but doesn't mean a thing.  With just a "few months of training" a sonar technician can use the data on the screen to draw conclusions about the output.  What kind of contact they are seeing, man-made or natural.  Whether the contact is on the surface or submerged.  Where the contact is located, what speed and heading the contact is on.  They can use a sophisticated computer to help them identify which ship they are looking at too.  Yet, even this multi-million dollar system is not 100% accurate and the consequences of "getting it wrong" are much more dire than that of a botched polygraph exam.    

So why do I use this analogy, you ask?  Because, similar to polygraph, this interpretation of what appears to be nonsensical visual data is really more art than science.  Even though a sonar technician only has a few months of in-class training, it takes a few years of patrols for a sonar tech to truly be competent.  In other words "Experience" is needed.  Even then, some sonar technicians are horrible at the job.  They just don't have the knack for this kind of thing.

Your analogy is a false one. The principles of underwater sound propagation and the variables affecting it, such as pressure, temperature, and salinity, are well understood, and logical inferences can be made based on the data collected by active and passive sonar systems. The same is not true with regard to polygraphy, where 1) the psychophysiology of human deception is not well understood and 2) there is no clear correlation between the data collected by the polygraph instrument and lying.

Attempting to infer truth or deception by examining polygraph charts is more akin to trying to assess a person's character by feeling bumps on the head (phrenology).

Quote:
I put forth that an examiner, even with in-class training still has to have some real world experience and must be naturally inclined to this kind of work.  I would submit that the vast majority of examiners don't fall into this category and therefore are the root cause of the problems you see with the exams.  They simply cannot use the "wavy lines" on the page to draw a reasonable conclusion, much less an accurate conclusion.[/url]

The problem is that the underlying procedure is without validity.

[quote]I would submit to you that there are a few examiners out there who do have what it takes.  They have real world experience both before and after polygraph school as well as a natural inclination to "reading" people.  I don't think that kind of thing can be taught.

It has not been established that an interrogator who consults polygraph charts makes better determinations of truth versus deception than an interrogator who doesn't.

Quote:
George, I think that you would be that kind of person. Because of your background in interrogation, you naturally know how to read people.  You would know how to prepare a subject for the exam.  You would know how to get them to focus on the relevant information.  When you saw the "stress" reaction on the chart, you would not  immediately assume the subject was lying to you, instead you would know how to properly probe for additional information to either account for or discount the reaction.

My experience at the poker table has given me a healthy skepticism regarding my ability to read people. And again, with regard to reactions on polygraph charts, there is simply no way of knowing what caused them. Moreover, it is wrong to assume that the absence of a reaction means the subject is telling the truth (a notion implicit in your post).

Quote:
As stated in my earlier post, the medical community does not rely on a single medical test to make a diagnosis.  One test simply becomes an indicator of something that needs to be further examined.  A series of tests may need to be conducted to finally come to a reasonable diagnosis. Even then, they are sometimes wrong too.

As previously discussed, polygraph "testing" bears no semblance to medical testing. As with your sonar reference, you again make a false analogy.

Quote:
In conclusion, I believe that the "machine" in the hands of the right person CAN be used to accurately detect deception.  Even then, a further examination through interrogation, background check and other resources should be used to verify a "reaction" on a chart.

And I believe that astrological charts, in the hands of the right person CAN be used to accurately predict the future. Even then, a further examination through cold reading and other resources should be used to verify the results.

Okay, I don't really believe the foregoing. The point is, how does one identify the "right" person of whom you speak?

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #78 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 6:14pm
I think the comparison between sonar and the polygraph is incomplete.  Sonar does a very good job of collecting data, and an experienced sonar operator can interpret that data to determine what object has been encountered.  Where the comparison falls apart is that the sonar operator does not take his collected data and attempt to determine what the commander of the detected vessel is thinking.

If polygraphs were solely used to determine a subject’s heart rate, respiration rate, and galvanic skin response I’m sure they would function admirably in that capacity.  That is what they are designed to do and I’m sure that an experienced operator would be able to collect that data on a subject with a high degree of accuracy.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #79 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 7:59pm
Sergeant1107,

You write:

Quote:

I think the comparison between sonar and the polygraph is incomplete.  Sonar does a very good job of collecting data, and an experienced sonar operator can interpret that data to determine what object has been encountered.  Where the comparison falls apart is that the sonar operator does not take his collected data and attempt to determine what the commander of the detected vessel is thinking.

If polygraphs were solely used to determine a subject’s heart rate, respiration rate, and galvanic skin response I’m sure they would function admirably in that capacity.  That is what they are designed to do and I’m sure that an experienced operator would be able to collect that data on a subject with a high degree of accuracy.

Bravo!  Excellent analysis.

IP Logged

New User

Darkcobra IS my Father!

Reply #80 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 8:27pm
Ok,

I'll concede that the sonar comparison was far reaching, but I'm sticking with subjects I'm familiar with.  I like to compare and contrast.  I don't think the comparisons necessarily have to match one another to gain insight and understanding.   

George, the comparison of phrenology (bumps on the head) and Astrology (telling the future) are also vastly different from an actual polygraph exam, yet you use them to make a point.  That's all I was trying to do as well. 

Let me make another attempt:  It's a reflex test where the doctor hits you in the knee joint with a rubber hammer.  Either the knee jumps or it doesn't.  If it does, the doctor is looking to see how much it jumps.  Now, based on that one test, the doctor can tell if your reflex reaction is abnormal.  Only problem is, that one test alone cannot tell you why.  The doctor has to perform additional examinations, tests and such to zero in  on a diagnosis.   

As you can see, my overarching theme is that polygraph is only one test.  Everyone agrees that the machine can capture a physiological reaction to a question.  What that reaction means has to be taken into context with the other factors surrounding the test.  In my opinion, the right examiner knows how to take those other factors into consideration.  Does that mean he can tell you 100% if the person is lying or telling the truth?  No, he can only say that "Deception is Indicated"    It's an opinion, much like a doctor would give a medical "opinion."  How many people get a second "opinion" from another doctor?  I find it curious that the medical profession uses that exact term, "opinion."  They know that NOTHING is 100%.

You say, "So what!"  I say, there's something there to be learned.  Something is happening on those charts.  Science does tell us that people do react physiologically to stress.  That's a proven fact that is beyond dispute.  From what I know, polygraph is used in an attempt to capture that stress reaction, put it into context to determine if a subject is being deceptive.  Are they going about it the right way?  I haven't a clue, but I don't think the argument is that polygraph is useless. I think the argument is can it be improved to the point of reliability?  I think it can, but again, I'm in the insurance business, what do I know?

George, you ask, who can?  Well, the answer is, you can.  Have you made it a point to meet face to face with an examiner who believes as strongly as you do, just not the same as you do.  I'd say Darkcobra and Nonombre are good candidates.  They seem to understand some of the limitations of polygraph and are willing to be in the debate. 

I don't think they would be willing to do it publicly, but perhaps if the circumstances were right, they would meet with you privately and perhaps be involved in some research.  Maybe as they gain more confidence in you and you in they, a public forum might not be impossible.  But, you have to build trust first.   

Who knows, you may both learn something in the process, even if you don't reach the same conclusions.

I'd even volunteer to help mediate the process. 

Alright, it's lunchtime again and I need to go.  Grin  Look forward to continuing the discussion later.

Mercible.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction. Prov 1:7

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #81 - Nov 2nd, 2005 at 3:14am
Mercible,

You write in part:
Quote:

In my opinion, the right examiner knows how to take those other factors into consideration.

Wrong.  There is no right examiner or wrong examiner.  This is not about malpractice or the lack thereof.  This (lie detection) is about quackery.  Because there is no demonstrated relationship between the monitored physiology and deception, the other factors (although they may well affect the examination environment) become secondary at best to the lack of a primary theoretical construct for the intended experiment.

You further write:
Quote:

George, the comparison of phrenology (bumps on the head) and Astrology (telling the future) are also vastly different from an actual polygraph exam, yet you use them to make a point.  

George's criticism and Sergeant1107's analysis regarding your sonar analogy are quite on track.  Your further comparison of  that analogy to any reference George has made to astrology again misses the mark.  Lie Detection is quackery and the parallel to astrology is much more apt than your references to sonar or the patellar reflex.  I must admit though that a representative of the astrology industry recently let me know that they take offense at being compared to polygraphy. Smiley

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #82 - Nov 2nd, 2005 at 4:58am
[quote author=Mercible link=board=Policy;num=1124414574;start=80#98 date=11/01/05 at 12:27:53]

You say, "So what!"  I say, there's something there to be learned.  Something is happening on those charts.  Science does tell us that people do react physiologically to stress.  That's a proven fact that is beyond dispute.  From what I know, polygraph is used in an attempt to capture that stress reaction, put it into context to determine if a subject is being deceptive.  Are they going about it the right way?  I haven't a clue, but I don't think the argument is that polygraph is useless. I think the argument is can it be improved to the point of reliability?  I think it can, but again, I'm in the insurance business, what do I know?

Mercible,

It's too bad that you've never taken a polygraph without prior knowledge and then been falsely deemed "deception indicated."  The real life experience would provide you with valuable insight and give you a true appreciation of the instrument's limitations.  It's also unfortunate that examiners can't have this same experience as it would provide a unique perspective to the whole process. I realize that examiners typically have to pass polygraphs to become examiners, but that's only after they've learned about polygraphy, which is vastly different from an uninformed examinee undergoing the procedure. 

I agree there is something happening on those charts, but the causes of the reactions vary just as widely as do the people behind them. 

IP Logged

New User

Darkcobra IS my Father!

Reply #83 - Nov 2nd, 2005 at 11:34pm
Dr Richardson, 

So glad to have you in on the conversation.   

You say po-tay-toe, I say po-tah-toe...  Wink  Don't you love that song? It really does sum up many of the posts I have read on this site.  You have so much common ground with those you oppose, but you fail to really see it for what it is.    

As far as the analogies I've put forward, they are there to compare and contrast.  In the end, I still give the benefit of the doubt to the polygraph community.  Why is that?

• The position of the anti-polygraph community is that polygraph is quackery and there is no scientific basis.  So What? 

• The position of the polygraph community is there is a scientific basis and the problems with polygraph is the examiner, possibly even the exam method.  Again, I say So What? 

And here I am in the middle to tell you the general public really isn't paying attention to either argument.  You can analogize, analyze, theorize, and even fantasize, but if you aren't winning the hearts and minds of the average registered voter, then you certainly aren't going to get the politicians to change a thing.   

You have your experts and the polygraph community also has their experts.  The general public doesn't have the time to take an in-depth look at the research.  Hell, half the things you say on this site go right over my head.  You may technically win the debate, but for all I know it's just a bunch of fancy lingo that  gets you nowhere with the common voter.   

Even though I disagree with many of the things you say, I am on your side when it comes to stopping the use (and abuse) of polygraph in the sole determination of guilt/innocence or even the suitability for employment.

Do you want to know why that is?  I have no stake in the game.  I'm not an examiner, I never took a polygraph, I've never been affected by one.  So why would I care about your cause?  It's the human factor.  George Maschke's story made me angry!  Not at George, but at the government.  George's story and those like his are your real ammunition.  All the psycho-babble and scientific tests mean nothing to me or the average voter.  You show me how an American patriot who has served his country well and is then dragged through the mud for no good reason and I am on your side!

The average voter will give the benefit of the doubt to the police and the government, even in the face of scientific evidence to the contrary.   Why, well because the government and the police protect them.  Besides, they know going head-to-head with any authority is an uphill battle and best left to attorneys and politicians who have the financial wherewithal to fight those types of battles.   

If the ACLU isn't even interested in taking up the fight, the that tells you one very clear thing.  You aren't making your case very well.  You have to tell the Story, not give them scientific mumbo-jumbo.  The Story has gotten lost in all the white noise of the debate.  Remember people like a good.....      

Story

You need publicity.  Hire a public relations firm to help you spread the Story effectively and you might actually gain some traction.

One of the many points I try to make is that demonizing the other side doesn't help your cause.  It only makes you look weak. They certainly look weak when they do it to you.  Be willing to engage the other side, not challenge them to a dual.  If they believe their cause is noble and just, then attacking them only strengthens their resolve.

So how do you get the other side to listen to your cause?  I suggest Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends & Influence People."  It's an old book, but many of the lessons in that book are as true today as when it was written.  I try to read it once every couple of years to remind myself that just because I think I'm right, doesn't mean everyone else will agree.  You have to get them on your side.   

You already have a couple of examiners on your side, Darkcobra and Nonombre.  And that is despite some of the ugly attacks they have endured on this site.  They must be truly sick individuals to keep coming back for more.  But, that makes me believe they too care about those who have suffered at the hands of a bad examiner.   

Well, so long for now.  Keep the debate lively but civil!

Regards,
Mercible...
Cheesy

IP Logged

New User

Darkcobra IS my Father!

Reply #84 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 1:38am
Bravo!  

Darkcobra has extended the olive branch.  

He is your opponent, your sworn enemy in the fight against polygraph.  I am very curious to see how those on the opposite side of the fight will respond.  

Will you disregard him, ignore him, question his motives, question his sincerity, attack him, twist his words? OR... will you accept the outstretched hand of friendship and work with him to gain mutual understanding and additional knowlege?

I know which I would choose, but then I'm just a spectator sitting in the stands watching the game unfold.  Undecided 

Alas, the choice is yours.  Choose wisely.......

Mercible

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #85 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 2:07am
Mercible,

You are a little late or at least unaware regarding you most recent advisement.  Months ago Darkcobra and I began talking about our views of polygraphy.  It may be no surprise that we disagree on quite a few points, however we agree on others.  Darkcobra is quite different from many of the other examiner's I have communicated with in that there is the absence belief in the polygraph as an absolute.  This is not an admission that many a polygrapher would offer as most seem to be under the impression that this would destroy credibility on their part.

I do thing you are correct in that the general public is quite disinterested in this debate about polygraphy.  Most of the population has no actual knowledge regarding polygraph examining other than what little snippets they have read or seen in the news as well as the fictional dramas and comedies which are loosely based on real-life polygraphy.  In addition, the vast majority of the general population will never undergo a polygraph examination.  I never had an interest either way until becoming a false postive.

I agree that common ground or a least a general air of civility is needed in order to reform or do away with polygraphy.  It truly has no place in employment screening which is my largest concern with polygraphy.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #86 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 4:19am
Mercible wrote on Nov 4th, 2005 at 1:38am:
Bravo!   

Darkcobra has extended the olive branch.   

He is your opponent, your sworn enemy in the fight against polygraph.  I am very curious to see how those on the opposite side of the fight will respond.   

Will you disregard him, ignore him, question his motives, question his sincerity, attack him, twist his words? OR... will you accept the outstretched hand of friendship and work with him to gain mutual understanding and additional knowlege?

I know which I would choose, but then I'm just a spectator sitting in the stands watching the game unfold.  Undecided 

Alas, the choice is yours.  Choose wisely.......

Mercible

Mercible,

You're a little late on the scene. Perhaps, you should do a search of Cobra's posts. He has been enaged in civil poly discussion with many users of this board for several months. He has said that he's concerned about preventing false positives and that the poly should not be used as the sole determining factor in employment. Hopefully, he and his examinees have benefited from information gleaned during these exchanges and I think his presence here has been beneficial to those shafted by unethical examiners by allowing them to see that not all examiners are the same. 

And just so we won't have to repeat this conversation, Nonombre is also a polygrapher who posts here and engages in civil discussions with users on a regular basis. That's the beauty of this board--a free exchange of ideas with mutual respect regarding differences of opinion. You might want to do a search on his posts as well. Happy reading!!

Now, a question for you. Why are you so interested in polygraphy? You say you're not an examiner, you've never taken one, yet you obviously feel passionate about it. Why?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #87 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 12:13pm
darkcobra2005,

You earlier wrote that your insurance company required you to demand waiver liabilities from applicants:

darkcobra2005 wrote on Oct 27th, 2005 at 10:33pm:
George, 

As you well know, my insurance would cancel me if I released anyone from filing suit, as well as the entire polygraph community.  This is business, not a game. 

The requirement that the release be signed is a matter of business, required by any insurance company insuring a polygraph examiner....

I still have not received from you any documentation of that claim. But I did succeed in obtaining a sample copy of the terms and conditions of the standard policy for American Polygraph Association members offered by Complete Equity Markets, Inc. of Wheeling, Illinois, who are listed on American Polygraph Association website. The conditions of that policy do not require the examiner to make the examinee sign any waiver of liability:

http://antipolygraph.org/documents/cem-polygraph-insurance-policy.pdf

To recap, you initially offered the implausible explanation that state laws require polygraphers to obtain a waiver of liability from examinees. When called on this, you initally refused further comment. You then adopted the position that it is insurance companies that require polygraphers to demand waivers of liability from examinees. But you wouldn't provide a copy of your insurance policy to prove it. And now we see that a major provider of polygraph liability insurance has no such requirement. Your credibility is wearing thin.

If you (and other polygraphers) truly accept responsibility for your actions and omissions, you have no excuse for demanding liability waivers from examinees.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #88 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 9:18pm
darkcobra2005,

I'm not suggesting that you have stated anything that you didn't believe to be true. But it seems to me that in rationalizing the practice of demanding liability waivers from examinees, you jumped from one argument of convenience to another without adequately checking your facts.

Thank you for explaining the situation with your own liability insurance. It does seems odd to me that your insurance company would require you to obtain liability waivers that have no legal force. But I have no further questions of you in this regard.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #89 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 12:26am
darkcobra2005 wrote on Nov 3rd, 2005 at 8:39am:
To state the polygraph is 100% accurate is of course pure non-sense.  The studies conducted have demonstrated 90-95% accuracy in controlled studies.   

Real Life studies are much more difficult to conduct since ground truth is not available in most cases.  If the controlled studies, in which little is at stake are 90 to 95% accurate, as demonstrated in the research, then I would suggest the real life examinations would be higher in the accuracy level.

Everyone’s opinions are shaped by their experience.

Based on my own experiences with the polygraph, I would place their accuracy at 25%, since I failed three out of four tests while giving the same truthful answers on all of them.

I find it impossible to dismiss the large amount of anecdotal evidence on this site from people who, like myself, told the truth and were wrongly labeled as “deceptive.”   

I suppose it is possible that some of the people who claim to have been falsely accused of deception were truly being deceptive during their examination.  But I think it is highly unlikely that everyone (or even a significant percentage) making that claim was actually deceptive.

I also believe that the accuracy of the polygraph must include the false-positive rate.  To me, the most problematic aspect of the polygraph is the fact that false-positives happen.  The rate at which they occur is debatable, but I have yet to encounter a single examiner who claims they don’t happen at all.

As soon as you encounter a false-positive rate, the rest of the process quickly becomes meaningless.  If there were absolutely no chance that a truthful person could be labeled as “deceptive” then the rate at which polygraphs and their operators detected deception would be an actual accuracy rate.  Perhaps not all deceptive people would be detected, but at least you would know that when deception was detected it meant, with 100% certainty, that the person had been deceptive during the examination.

With an unknown rate of false-positives it becomes impossible to come to any conclusion after a polygraph, regardless of the result.  A “deception indicated” result means that the subject was deceptive, or the subject was truthful but is coming up as a false positive.  A “no deception indicated” results means that the person was truthful, or the person was deceptive but it was not detected, or that the person successfully utilized countermeasures.

In the end you have nothing but the guess, educated though that guess may be, of one person with regards to what another person was thinking.  You can achieve exactly the same results in a normal interview and I believe they would be just as accurate.  But they wouldn’t have the aura of accuracy which the polygraph promises but fails to deliver. 

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Aren't you being a little dishonest here?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X