Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Aren't you being a little dishonest here? (Read 51222 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Aren't you being a little dishonest here?
Aug 19th, 2005 at 4:22am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Mr Maschke,

On your home page, you make the statement:

"Did you know it takes less training to give lie detector "tests" than it does to give haircuts? The longest polygraph school (run by the U.S. Government; perhaps its students are slow learners) produces newly minted polygraphers in just 14 weeks -- less than half the time it takes to graduate from a typical barber college."

Well, I thought I would do a little research, so I accessed the website of the DoD Polygraph Institute (DoDPI).  This is the "U.S. government" school you are clearly alluding to and you might be interested to learn that this is a school that requires a B.A. degree to get into, and then teaches well in excess of 500 hours of GRADUATE LEVEL material.  In fact, the DoDPI graduate walks out the door more than half way to a Master's degree from a fully accredited university.

Now, I have never been to barber school, but I am pretty sure that barber school does not require a B.A. degree to get in, nor does it teach graduate level material, nor is it affiliated to a graduate level accredited university program.

Mr. Mashcke, clearly you are being dishonest in the statement you make on your home page.  For proof, I offer the material below: 

This is what I found of the DoDPI website:

"The Forensic Psychophysiology Program is an academically challenging 520-hour comprehensive series of courses that prepares the student to begin a polygraph career in law enforcement or counterintelligence. This graduate level program consists of courses in psychology, physiology, and research methods, as well as polygraph history, theory, and methodology. Realistic scenario-based practical exercises are conducted throughout the program to provide the students with hands-on instruction in polygraph techniques and instrumentation.

Continuing Education Program
This program, established in 1996, requires every federal examiner attend a minimum of 80 hours of continuing education every two years. This educational requirement can be met through attendance at DoDPI sponsored or approved courses and seminars such as those provided by the University of Virginia, or one of the 26 continuing education courses taught on campus at DoDPI or at other locations.

Course Descriptions 
Core Requirements: 
26 Semester Hours 

PHY 501 PHYSIOLOGY OF PDD 4 credit hours 

This course integrates an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the major human physiological systems as they pertain to the clinical applications of PDD. Emphasis is placed on the integrated functions of the nervous, cardiovascular, respiratory, and integument systems, with some attention given to the skeletal and muscular systems. Special attention is placed on the physiology of the neuron resting and action potentials, synaptic transmission, sensory and motor pathways, brain lateralization, and autonomic nervous system modulation. Cardiovascular and respiratory system dynamics are described with an emphasis on neural integration. Eccrine gland dynamics and its innervations is the focal point of the integument system. The physiological dynamics of this systemic approach to human body function are described with respect to PDD assessment. Computerized CDs, PowerPoint, videos and handouts are used extensively in the lecture presentations as learning aids.

PSY 501 PSYCHOLOGY OF PDD 3 credit hours 

The psychological theories and processes underlying human behavior and its relationship to PDD are examined. Topics include sensation, perception, human learning, memory, cognition, motivation, emotion, stress, personality, psychological disorders, social processes, and social psychology. All topics covered will be developed specifically with respect to their relevance to the PDD process. In addition, topics of relevance will be developed in relation to causes and explanations for criminal behavior. Finally, psychological concepts relevant to extraction and retention of information of criminal incidents as perceived by eyewitnesses will be covered.

Recommended Prerequisite: Introduction to Psychology 

PDD 501 INTERVIEW TECHNIQUES 4 credit hours 

Interviewing skills facilitate and complement the PDD process from the pre-test development of suitable test questions to the post-test discussion of the examination results. Through class lecture and live exercises, this course provides the student examiner with a foundation for building rapport with examinees, preparing them for testing. Dependent on the testing format utilized, students are taught how to encourage self-report of behaviors relevant to the test issues. Students learn to become sensitive to nonverbal cues, tailoring their approach according to individual characteristics, and consider cultural aspects that may pertain to an examinee. Several methods of pre-test and post-test interviews are presented to students, who practice them under field-like conditions in mock crime scenarios.

Prerequisite: PSY 501 

PDD 502 PDD ANALYSIS I 2 credit hours 

Constructing proper test interrogatives is an important and integral part of the PDD examination process. If inappropriate or improper interrogatives are used, it could have a significant impact on the outcome of a PDD examination. This course studies the theory and formulation of PDD interrogatives based upon case investigative analysis. The students are acquainted with the use and purpose of all types of interrogatives utilized in specific issue and expanded counterintelligence (CI) screening PDD examinations. The various types of relevant questions utilized in specific issue and expanded CI examinations are discussed in detail. The students are acquainted with the various categories of comparison questions authorized for most major crime specific issue and expanded CI examinations. They will then learn how to formulate the most appropriate comparison questions based upon an examinee’s personal history and tested relevant issue for all DoDPI specific issue PDD formats. From a discussion of the basic principles of psycholinguistics, the students will apply these attributes in developing specific issue and expanded CI examination interrogatives. For investigative matters having multiple relevant issues, the students will utilize the concepts of relevant target selection in determining the primary issue for initial testing. Through a review of investigative mock-crime scenarios, the students will learn how to construct the most appropriate relevant and comparison interrogatives for selected specific issue major crimes and CI matters.

Prerequisite: PSY 501 

PDD 503 PDD ANALYSIS II 2 credit hours 

This course teaches the student the DoDPI Three- and Seven-Position Numerical Evaluation Scoring System. It prepares the student examiner to recognize and evaluate each of the recording channels and associated physiological phenomena, or diagnostic features, of interest in the psychophysiological detection of deception (PDD). The decision rules for various PDD testing formats are presented and the means for rending a diagnostic opinion are taught. Using the knowledge gained in Physiology of PDD and Psychology of PDD, the student examiner gains a greater understanding and appreciation for the inter-relationship between physiology, psychology, and PDD.

Prerequisites: PSY 501 and PHY 501 

PDD 504 PDD METHODS I 2 credit hours 

This course provides the student with the historical aspects of PDD from the crude methods of detecting deception during the days of the Inquisition to the present. The student examiner is acquainted with the early pioneers of PDD who had a tremendous influence in the development of physiological research leading to the development of modern-day sensors and PDD instrumentation. They also become familiar with significant personalities who had an impact on the development of the various PDD testing formats. Beginning with the early 1900s and leading up to present day, the student is presented with information about significant and high profile cases having a profound affect on modern day PDD practices.

The student is exposed to various PDD instrumentation, ranging from the traditional analog instrumentation to proper utilization and operation of the various present day computerized polygraph systems (hardware) and associated software programs. The student is taught acquaintance test protocols (ACQT); selected intelligence and screening PDD formats (TES, LEPET, and R/I Screening); Specific Issue R/I PDD format and usage; along with associated operational methodologies currently being taught at the DoDPI. 

Prerequisites: PSY 501 and PHY 501 

PDD 505 PDD METHODS II 2 credit hours 

This course acquaints the student with the various specific-issue PDD testing formats utilized within the Federal Government. It also introduces the student examiner to the various types of mental, physical, and pharmacological countermeasures that might be encountered in PDD testing and provides counter-countermeasures an examiner might utilize to neutralize these countermeasures. The course provides insight into the utilization of interpreters in conducting PDD examinations of an examinee whose primary language capability is something other than what the examiner possesses. Additionally, the relationship is explored between the field examiner and quality control aspects of their work to ensure that adequate standards and controls are maintained at all times.

Prerequisite: PDD 504 

PDD 506 PDD LABORATORY 4 credits hours 

Students are introduced to state-of-the-art instrumentation available to PDD examiners. Hands-on experience with examinees enables students to apply the principles, theory, and methodology gleaned from their studies of PDD to simulated law enforcement and counterintelligence scenarios. Students will be graded on their ability to utilize, interpret, analyze, and evaluate specific PDD methods of investigation.

PDD 507 FIELD FAMILIARIZATION LAB 1 credit hour 

This course familiarizes the student examiner with field applications of PDD formats and testing techniques. Under the supervision of DoDPI faculty, student examiners conduct PDD examinations and evaluations utilizing their agency’s PDD formats and procedures under the auspices of a representative from the students’ parent organization.

LAW 501 LEGAL AND ETHICAL ASPECTS OF PDD 1 credit hour 

This course acquaints the student examiner with ethical and legal issues affecting PDD. During the ethics portion, students are furnished information and practical dilemmas in an effort to acquaint them with situations they may be confronted with in field PDD procedures. Students are also exposed to various readings and may be required to research an ethical issue on a current PDD situation. During the legal aspects of PDD, students are provided case law on PDD issues and the Federal court systems starting with the first attempt to enter PDD evidence into a court environment in 1923. Additionally, the student examiner is provided information on the legal and technical applications involved in qualifying as an expert witness for PDD issues that the courts have articulated through their various decisions.

RES 501 RESEARCH THEORIES AND ISSUES IN PDD 1 credit hour 

This course exposes the student examiner to the various research theories and issues of PDD. Students are acquainted with scientific research terminology and the procedures for conducting laboratory and field PDD research. They are provided with information on the relative merits of the different types of PDD research. Through assigned readings and individual research, students are expected to recognize and articulate differences between scientific and unscientific PDD research.

PDD 600 PDD 3 credit hours 

This internship gives the student supervised practical application of previously studied PDD knowledge, tools, skills, and experiences. The student can synthesize in-class learning while gaining meaningful professional work experience. The student works with his or her academic advisor throughout this internship period. This course is open to students working with criminal justice, intelligence, counterintelligence or security agencies only.

Prerequisite: Certificate of Graduate Study in the Psychophysiological Detection of Deception from DoDPI. 

------------------------------------------

WHEW!  Seems a bit more involved than any BARBER SCHOOL I can think of.   

By the way, are barbers required to have 80 hours of follow on training every two years?

Don't you think that based on your dishonest , untrue, and self serving statement, you owe the graduates of DoDPI an apology and a retraction?

Nonombre

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Re: Aren't you being a little dishonest here?
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 5:46am
nonombre wrote on Aug 19th, 2005 at 4:22am:
Mr Maschke,

On your home page, you make the statement:

"Did you know it takes less training to give lie detector "tests" than it does to give haircuts? The longest polygraph school (run by the U.S. Government; perhaps its students are slow learners) produces newly minted polygraphers in just 14 weeks -- less than half the time it takes to graduate from a typical barber college."

Well, I thought I would do a little research, so I accessed the website of the DoD Polygraph Institute (DoDPI).  This is the "U.S. government" school you are clearly alluding to and you might be interested to learn that this is a school that requires a B.A. degree to get into, and then teaches well in excess of 500 hours of GRADUATE LEVEL material.  In fact, the DoDPI graduate walks out the door more than half way to a Master's degree from a fully accredited university.

Nonombre:

Well, I don't know how "typical" California is but this is from the Dept. of Consumer Affairs which licenses just about everything including acupuncturists.

(for a Barber's license)
Experience Requirement: Must have completed a course in barbering, not less than 1500 hours, from a school approved by the Program. 

I must admit. It comes as something of a surprise to me that it (barber license school) is so long.

I can certainly understand your feelings that polygrapher's academic accomplishments have been slighted, but really, that is no justification for such a putdown of barbers. Perhaps you owe them, or at least the ones on California an apology.

Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 8:11am
Nonombre,

Does polygraph school really require a BS degree?  That would be fitting, at least the BS portion.  The state of Minnesota requires a BS degree in Mortuary Science or a four year degree in addition to mortuary school.  Much more than is required of a polygraph examiner.  We morticians are dealing with dead persons and have a more extensive educational requirement.  I am required to meet continuing educational requirements which are some of the strictest in the nation.  I too had courses in phsychology and physiology in addition to many others.  With that I could simply enroll in polygraph school?  Questionable isn't it?

Quote:
Mr. Mashcke, clearly you are being dishonest in the statement you make on your home page.  For proof, I offer the material below:

How do you figure?  Is this another twisted interpretation?  It is clearly stated that this is the curriculum for polygraph school.  No statement is made regarding previous educational requirements.  This means that anyone with a 4 year degree in any pursuirt could become a polygraph examiner.  Perhaps this is where I could utilize a four year degree in under-water basket weaving.  The requirement for a BS degree as you have stated, does not have a specific requirement with regard to previous educational pursuits.  Even an uneducated, party animal, college attending baffoon could meet these requirements.  Your point?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 9:14am
Nonombre,

To graduate from a typical barber college, one needs to undergo, as Marty points out, something on the order of 1,500 hours of training. To graduate from the longest polygraph school, only 520 hours are required. You do the math. I think it's fair to say that it takes less training to give lie detector "tests" than it does to give haircuts.

I believe the comparison is especially apt because both barber colleges and polygraph schools are vocational schools. A key difference, however, is that while graduates of barber colleges can cut hair, graduates of polygraph schools cannot detect lies.

While DoDPI and some other polygraph schools may require enrollees to have a bachelor's degree, no background in psychophysiology is required. (Remember, DoDPI touts polygraphy as the "psychophysiological detection of deception.") As Brandon points out, the area of one's degree is immaterial. Indeed, it is dangerous for DoDPI to accept students with hard science degrees who understand the scientific method, as they are apt to see through the bullshit (pardon my French) that DoDPI is passing off as science.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 10:06am
George,

You write:

Quote:

Nonombre, 

To graduate from a typical barber college, one needs to undergo, as Marty points out, something on the order of 1,500 hours of training. To graduate from the longest polygraph school, only 520 hours are required. You do the math. I think it's fair to say that it takes less training to give lie detector "tests" than it does to give haircuts. 

I believe the comparison is especially apt because both barber colleges and polygraph schools are vocational schools. A key difference, however, is that while graduates of barber colleges can cut hair, graduates of polygraph schools cannot detect lies. 

While DoDPI and some other polygraph schools may require enrollees to have a bachelor's degree, no background in psychophysiology is required. (Remember, DoDPI touts polygraphy as the "psychophysiological detection of deception.") As Brandon points out, the area of one's degree is immaterial. Indeed, it is dangerous for DoDPI to accept students with hard science degrees who understand the scientific method, as they are apt to see through the bullshit (pardon my French) that DoDPI is passing off as science.

That which you, Marty, and Brandon have written on this subject so captures the essence of the reality of polygraph "education" that I can add very little to your analysis.  There is little left for me to do but to reaffirm that which has been written which I heartily do.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 7:54pm
Quote:
Nonombre,

Mr. Maschke,

I was truly astounded to discover that to be a barber in certain states (I think California is the example given) it takes some 1,500 hours of training.  That sure is a whole lot of hours in the classroom.  This revelation has caused me to reflect and consider how much classroom time does it take to  train for some of our most respected occupations?  So I did a little research.  Since California is the state used in the example (I’m sure different states have deferring requirements) , I thought I would stick with California for my research:

1.  How long does it take to become a cop?  I know how long it takes in my state, but how about California?  I checked the LAPD web site.  Obviously, police work is a critically important job in which lives are clearly very much at stake.  So how long is the LAPD academy?  808 hours to be exact.  Hmm, longer than DoDPI, but only about half that of Barber school.

2.  I then thought, how about EMT?  You know the highly trained professional who responds to your house and jump-starts your heart, thereby saving your life?  I checked out the fully accredited Santa Barbara County Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Basic Training course.  Turns out this course is 8 weeks long at the end of which the student can take the certification test and become a Certified EMT in the state of California.  Let's see, at 40 hours of classroom time per week that equals 320 hours of classroom time.  Not bad to enter into a profession in which your whole purpose of existence is to save people’s lives.

3.  Finally, I thought I would check out the training required for a basic firefighter in the state of California.   Once again, here is a difficult complex job requiring extensive training.  Once again, people’s lives are at stake.  It turns out several California community colleges have excellent certification programs.  All offer the state requirement of 240 hours of firefighter training (plus a six-month internship.)   

So Mr. Maschke, as a result of my somewhat limited research, I have come to the following conclusions.

#1.  Of all the examples considered, only the Federal Polygraph Examiner Training requires a Bachelor's Degree as a pre-requisite to training (regardless of the major)

#2.  Other than Polygraph Examiner, only the position of Firefighter requires a formal internship (interestingly, both are at least six months in length)

#3.  Only the Federal Polygraph Training is taught at the graduate degree level (In conjunction with a fully accredited graduate degree granting institution).

#4  Bottom line, it takes longer to become a barber in the state of California, than it does to become a police officer, a Emergency Medical Technician, a firefighter, or a polygraph examiner.  This leads me to the conclusion that we polygraph examiners are in some very respectable company.

#5.  I have a new respect for barbers.  Maybe I’ll leave a bigger tip next time.

Nonombre Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 9:16pm
nonombre wrote on Aug 21st, 2005 at 7:54pm:

Mr. Maschke,

I was truly astounded to discover that to be a barber in certain states (I think California is the example given) it takes some 1,500 hours of training.  That sure is a whole lot of hours in the classroom.  This revelation has caused me to reflect and consider how much classroom time does it take to  train for some of our most respected occupations?  So I did a little research.  Since California is the state used in the example (I’m sure different states have deferring requirements) , I thought I would stick with California for my research:

1.  How long does it take to become a cop?  I know how long it takes in my state, but how about California?  I checked the LAPD web site.  Obviously, police work is a critically important job in which lives are clearly very much at stake.  So how long is the LAPD academy?  808 hours to be exact.  Hmm, longer than DoDPI, but only about half that of Barber school.

2.  I then thought, how about EMT?  You know the highly trained professional who responds to your house and jump-starts your heart, thereby saving your life?  I checked out the fully accredited Santa Barbara County Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Basic Training course.  Turns out this course is 8 weeks long at the end of which the student can take the certification test and become a Certified EMT in the state of California.  Let's see, at 40 hours of classroom time per week that equals 320 hours of classroom time.  Not bad to enter into a profession in which your whole purpose of existence is to save people’s lives.

3.  Finally, I thought I would check out the training required for a basic firefighter in the state of California.   Once again, here is a difficult complex job requiring extensive training.  Once again, people’s lives are at stake.  It turns out several California community colleges have excellent certification programs.  All offer the state requirement of 240 hours of firefighter training (plus a six-month internship.)   

So Mr. Maschke, as a result of my somewhat limited research, I have come to the following conclusions.

#1.  Of all the examples considered, only the Federal Polygraph Examiner Training requires a Bachelor's Degree as a pre-requisite to training (regardless of the major)

#2.  Other than Polygraph Examiner, only the position of Firefighter requires a formal internship (interestingly, both are at least six months in length)

#3.  Only the Federal Polygraph Training is taught at the graduate degree level (In conjunction with a fully accredited graduate degree granting institution).

#4  Bottom line, it takes longer to become a barber in the state of California, than it does to become a police officer, a Emergency Medical Technician, a firefighter, or a polygraph examiner.  This leads me to the conclusion that we polygraph examiners are in some very respectable company.

#5.  I have a new respect for barbers.  Maybe I’ll leave a bigger tip next time.

Nonombre Wink

Nonombre:

With all due respect, I believe your police officer and fire/rescue examples are a bit over simplified. Now, I must admit that I am not familiar with the rules and regulations in the state of California governing such occupations, but I would think that most states/localities are somewhat similar in regards to requirements. When an officer candidate graduates from the academy, the department does not turn him loose on the streets to become a cop the next day. Instead, the officer receives literally hundreds of hours of on the job training before actually becoming a full- fledged officer. Now, I am by no means downplaying the importance of the classroom and hands-on academy experiences. Both are indeed very valuable. However, it seems you have overlooked the extensive real life experience training  newly minted officers receive before they are turned loose to practice their professions. The same holds true for fire and rescue personnel. They too, receive extensive training before they are trusted with the lives of others. This training is beyond the classroom experience and never stops as LE officers and fire/rescue personnel continue to undergo a great deal of training throughout their professional careers. 

If I were you, I wouldn't be so fast to pat myself on the back for practicing polygraphy. No offense, but the two examiners I had the displeasure to deal with were miles away from being intellectuals. You are in denial if you truly believe that you are in respectable company with other polygraph examiners.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box hwsternfan
User

Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 9:21pm
Quote:
To graduate from a typical barber college, one needs to undergo, as Marty points out, something on the order of 1,500 hours of training. To graduate from the longest polygraph school, only 520 hours are required.

...and graduating from barber school you actually have a SKILL.  A poly examiner is nothing more than a professional LIAR and BS artist.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 10:04pm
hwsternfan wrote on Aug 21st, 2005 at 9:21pm:

...and graduating from barber school you actually have a SKILL.  A poly examiner is nothing more than a professional LIAR and BS artist.

Doing a bit of personalizing and stereotyping here, aren't we?  Hmmm, 

I guess that according to you, since I am Hispanic, that makes me a "Wetback" and an illegal alien too?

Nonombre

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 10:06pm
polyfool wrote on Aug 21st, 2005 at 9:16pm:

Nonombre:

With all due respect, I believe your police officer and fire/rescue examples are a bit over simplified. Now, I must admit that I am not familiar with the rules and regulations in the state of California governing such occupations, but I would think that most states/localities are somewhat similar in regards to requirements. When an officer candidate graduates from the academy, the department does not turn him loose on the streets to become a cop the next day. Instead, the officer receives literally hundreds of hours of on the job training before actually becoming a full- fledged officer. Now, I am by no means downplaying the importance of the classroom and hands-on academy experiences. Both are indeed very valuable. However, it seems you have overlooked the extensive real life experience training  newly minted officers receive before they are turned loose to practice their professions. The same holds true for fire and rescue personnel. They too, receive extensive training before they are trusted with the lives of others. This training is beyond the classroom experience and never stops as LE officers and fire/rescue personnel continue to undergo a great deal of training throughout their professional careers. 

Polyfool,

Are you dismissing the 6-12 month internship federal examiners undergo before they are "turned loose" as you have put it?  Are you dismissing the career long REQUIRED annual continuing education training?  Are you dismissing the quality control oversite of every SINGLE polygraph examination a federal examiner conducts?   

Nonombre

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #10 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 10:11pm
Nonombre,

Although amusing, the number of hours of training for polygraph examiners vs. barbers is not the really serious problem with polygraph education.  It, I believe, is that there is virtually no prerequisite science education required to matriculate into the educational process for a profession whose underpinnings are supposedly science based.  As a result the educational process takes the direction that the lowest common denominator would dictate.  I have witnessed this happening leaving that process that you describe as being the basis in part for the awarding of a master's level degree in reality being little more than eighth grade health science level teaching.  Nothing will change as long as the entrance requirements are as they are (i.e., one can enter polygraph school with an undergraduate degree in criminal justice or sociology or none at all for that matter), and, as George has pointed out, if a serious science background was a requirement for entering polygraph school, the house of cards would quickly collapse when serious scientists saw the vacuum of scientific support for what was being taught.  Regards...

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #11 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 10:25pm
Dr Richardson,

I understand your arguement regarding the lack of a requirement for science based courses prior to enrolling at the Polygraph Institute.  I don't agree, but I see your point.

My point was that The splash page of this web site makes a very insulting comment regarding the number of hours required for polygraph school verses barber school.  I was simply responding that there are a number of professions, some of which literally involves people's lives, that require less time in the classroom than barber school.  (Some less time than polygraph school) Are all these professionals thereby inferior to barbers?  If the web page makes that arguement against polygraph examiners it should also provide a similiar list to the one I have provided and then stand by to take the heat.

Regards,

Nonombre

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #12 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 11:05pm
Nonombre,

Quote:

Nonombre, 

Although amusing, the number of hours of training for polygraph examiners vs. barbers is not the really serious problem with polygraph education.  It, I believe, is that there is virtually no prerequisite science education required to matriculate into the educational process for a profession whose underpinnings are supposedly science based.  As a result the educational process takes the direction that the lowest common denominator would dictate.  I have witnessed this happening leaving that process that you describe as being the basis in part for the awarding of a master's level degree in reality being little more than eighth grade health science level teaching.  Nothing will change as long as the entrance requirements are as they are (i.e., one can enter polygraph school with an undergraduate degree in criminal justice or sociology or none at all for that matter), and, as George has pointed out, if a serious science background was a requirement for entering polygraph school, the house of cards would quickly collapse when serious scientists saw the vacuum of scientific support for what was being taught.  Regards...

What about my comments do you understand but disagree with and why do you disagree?  What was your educational background prior to polygraph school?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #13 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 11:07pm
nonombre wrote on Aug 21st, 2005 at 10:25pm:
My point was that The splash page of this web site makes a very insulting comment regarding the number of hours required for polygraph school verses barber school.  I was simply responding that there are a number of professions, some of which literally involves people's lives, that require less time in the classroom than barber school.  (Some less time than polygraph school) Are all these professionals thereby inferior to barbers?  If the web page makes that arguement against polygraph examiners it should also provide a similiar list to the one I have provided and then stand by to take the heat.

This web page is neither about barbers, police officers nor firefithers.  It is about the lack of any scientific basis or proof for the fraud known as polygraphy.  The comparison of Polygraph school to barber college is an apt and valid comparison.  It illustrates that Polygraphics is simply a job that any monkey can be trained to do; not a hard science.   

I'm sorry you find the comparison of polygraph school to barber college an insult.  Considering even a very bad haircut lasts at most 2-3 months until it grows back, the life long damage caused by abuses in your profession should dictate better training for those who practice it -- or better yet -- abolition entirely.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #14 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 11:12pm
Quote:
Nonombre,

What about my comments do you understand but disagree with and why do you disagree?  What was your educational background prior to polygraph school?

Dr. Richardson,

I had a B.A. degree in Psychology, and a M.S. degree in Criminal Justice (with a Forensic Science emphasis) prior to attending polygraph school.

The reason I do not agree with your statement regarding  material prior academic work is that it is my understanding  that most of the positions in the federal government (I am not a federal agent) that require B.A. degrees, do not require it to be in any particular area.

Primarily I believe that enough material can be taught in an intense  graduate level resident program, to make up for the lack of same material in a candidate's undergraduate work.  If you believe I am wrong here, I am open to discussion.

Regards,

Nonombre

IP Logged

Aren't you being a little dishonest here?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X