Normal Topic Will be taking a polygraph in the near future (Read 5596 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box hans
New User

Will be taking a polygraph in the near future
Aug 17th, 2005 at 4:52pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello, I am new to this site (as you can probablly tell) and am looking for some help for an upcomming polygraph test that will be administered in order for me to obtain a position in law enforcement (on the east coast). I have infact smoked marijuana and done several other drugs as a teenager and in my early 20's (also involved in sales). Understand that I am completely straight edge now other than ocassionally drinking alcohol.

I am very interested in getting into the law enforcement field and would be very dissapointed if I fail this polygraph and wind up stuck behind this computer and in this cubicle for years to come. Also understand that I have no intentions of becoming a crooked cop and would take this job more seriously than any job I have ever had before. 

I was wondering what I need to do to prepare for this test or any other background investigations that may be done in order for me to be accepted for this position. Any feedback or help that could be given to me would be greatly appreciated and I'd like to thank you in advance for taking the time to read mt post.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Re: Will be taking a polygraph in the near future
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 5:01pm
Hans,

You don’t make it clear in your post if you are planning to tell the truth about your past drug use and want help in protecting yourself from a false positive, or if you are planning to lie and want help doing that.

I strongly suggest that you be completely honest with your background investigator and admit to whatever drug use is in your past.  If they tell you it is over the permitted limit then go apply somewhere else.  Starting off a career in law enforcement by lying on your application is not a good idea.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 5:19pm
Well, I do not want to be rejected for my past drug history, I do not want to deny my past drug use maybe just the time frame in which I did so. 

Also I have been convicted of two misdemenor "possesion of small amounts of marijuana" (which is from about 5 & 6 years ago) so there is no way I can deny my involvement with marajuana.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rcop
User

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 10:59pm
Your past use of hard drugs and the fact you previously sold drugs will most most likely disqualify you from any type of law enforcement position.  You can be honest on your polygraph and not have any deception indicated and still fail based on lifestyle admissions.  I had a friend who was a reserve officer who wanted to apply for a full-time officer position.  During the polygraph for the full-time job, my friend admitted that he smoked marijuana while employed as a reserve officer.  Although my friend had no deception indicated in the polygraph, based on his admission, he was disqualified for the full-time position and was terminated from his position as a reserve officer.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 11:05pm
I didn't say I recently sold drugs (this is all from my past). I am taking the written test in a week, so my past will disqualify me from becoming a police officer? Is there any way around this? this is why I came here

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rcop
User

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 11:09pm
Hans,

Probably.  Although almost all departments are willing to accept applicants who in the distant past experimented with Marijuana, your past use of hard drugs coupled with sales will make it very difficult, if not impossible, to be hired as a police officer.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 3:36pm
Rcop,

So tell me what do you suggest I do? Should I deny my past use of hard drugs/sales and just admit to experimenting with marijuana? 

Honestly this is probablly the best career for me, I have worked in construction for years and hated it, I then tried the automotive industry and hated it too. I now work in an office and find myself staring into space due to boredom, I have been here for over a year and I know its not for me. I have tried to get into the Marines & the Army but they will not accept me because of hardware I had put in my leg after I broke my femur. I thought about trying the navy but would rather stay local to be with my son. 

I truely know that I would be happy with a job as a police officer and if I have to lie about my past (which has nothing to do with the way I live my life now) I would not lose any sleep over it. So what should I do about this pollygraph & background investigation?

BTW, I really appreciate you taking the time to discuss this with me and giving me your insight. Thank you

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyrized
User

Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 5:30pm
It is difficult.  You sound like the type of person who has made positive changes and is committed to doing the right thing, who has learned from his mistakes.  But because nobody can read another persons mind or know the future, they use imperfect means to predict who, if employed or given a clearance, will not do well.

Just read through this website and decide for yourself what you should do based on others experiences.  Read about the consequences and risks so you go into this with your eyes wide open and fully aware of what this is all about.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box mustbaliar
Senior User

Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 5:31pm
hans wrote on Aug 17th, 2005 at 11:05pm:
I didn't say I recently sold drugs (this is all from my past). I am taking the written test in a week, so my past will disqualify me from becoming a police officer? Is there any way around this? this is why I came here

Hans,

The purpose of this site is not to help someone get "around" his or her past, but to inform and educate about the use and abuse of polygraphy in the hopes of preventing a false-positive result (truthful person accused of lying, essentially).  I really sympathize with you and your position, but you will have to make the call as to how you handle this situation.  No one here is going to tell you it's okay to flat out lie to your potential future employer.  As rcop mentioned, if you do make admissions about your past, that may be held against you.  But if you don't make your admissions and your true past is discovered at a later time, you may find yourself with more serious issues.  Good luck to you.

Mustbaliar

IP Logged

New User

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 6:48pm
polyrized wrote on Aug 18th, 2005 at 5:30pm:
It is difficult.  You sound like the type of person who has made positive changes and is committed to doing the right thing, who has learned from his mistakes.  But because nobody can read another persons mind or know the future, they use imperfect means to predict who, if employed or given a clearance, will not do well.

Just read through this website and decide for yourself what you should do based on others experiences.  Read about the consequences and risks so you go into this with your eyes wide open and fully aware of what this is all about.

I have made many positive changes and getting this job would be one of the biggest yet, thank you for your advice.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 6:53pm
mustbaliar wrote on Aug 18th, 2005 at 5:31pm:

Hans,

The purpose of this site is not to help someone get "around" his or her past, but to inform and educate about the use and abuse of polygraphy in the hopes of preventing a false-positive result (truthful person accused of lying, essentially).  I really sympathize with you and your position, but you will have to make the call as to how you handle this situation.  No one here is going to tell you it's okay to flat out lie to your potential future employer.  As rcop mentioned, if you do make admissions about your past, that may be held against you.  But if you don't make your admissions and your true past is discovered at a later time, you may find yourself with more serious issues.  Good luck to you.

Mustbaliar

There is no record of my past other than the 2 misdimenors I was found guilty of so I do not see this being an issue as for the two charges are 5+ years old, my biggest concern is my "expirementing" with marajuana in the past few years. I appreciate the advice and will be looking into this site more thoroughly before making my decission.

IP Logged

Will be taking a polygraph in the near future

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X