Normal Topic failed police poly in NY, am I entitled to papers? (Read 7964 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mike521
New User

failed police poly in NY, am I entitled to papers?
Aug 11th, 2005 at 4:29am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I failed my poly yesterday for my local police department in NY. since I was being honest I felt no need to worry, and was completely confident in all my answers. the investigator came back and told me there was one thing he wasn't sure of, and asked if I was confident in my answers. I said yes and that I was correct about everything I told him, and he said he'd get back to me after having some colleagues review the data as well.

Today they got back to me and said it was a fail. I'm appealing the decision and it will go to another agency and be evaluated again.

does anyone have any advice about how to fight this? am I legally entitled to the documents pertaining to my polygraph? 

I was so confident that I did fine, I wasn't even worried when he said he wasn't sure, I was like "well I was honest so I know his coworkers will determine I was truthful"...

IP Logged

New User

Re: failed police poly in NY, am I entitled to pap
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2005 at 11:38am
I just want to clarify, what I'm asking is if I am legally entitled to see the charts that the polygraph printed out. It was done by computer.

when it was printing out in front of me I saw mostly negative numbers, occasionally letters with plus signs, but never a number with a plus sign.. maybe I missed something though, I wasn't paying much attention cause I was so sure I did well

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NM8HTR
New User

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2005 at 9:11pm
Mike, I too just took my polly for a Department two days ago.  I also was honest, and I also failed, according to the computer.  My investigator told me also that he had to review it, I'm not too confident now.  I don't know the answer to your question, but I know one thing, I'm getting sick of trying for these damn departments.  There is nothing more frustrating than going through their months of processes, just to get to the end and have a computer make the ultimate decision, and be wrong for that matter.  I think maybe I'll finish my degree and go to Minnisota.   Angry

Sorry to here about your experiance bro.  I'm am glad to see that I'm not alone in this delima, as I'm sure there are many more too.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2005 at 9:43pm
Same boat as both of you.  It actually isn't the computer that "failed" you, it is the operator's interpretation of the charts.

As far as obtaining the results and supporting documentation, you will need to contact the agency in question.  I made attempts to do the same without success.  I am not entitled to any of the information obtained throughout the application process, save for the original application.  All other information is locked up tight under the title of "Departmental policy."  I wish you luck, but realize even in the circumstance you do get hold of the information, unfortunately you still "failed."

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2005 at 11:41pm
I understand, I honestly don't believe that the graph says I failed though.. I just can't imagine it. I guess that would mean that the polygrapher either purposely or accidentally misinterpreted it, but I think that's what happened. 

if I can see it myself and have it analyzed by my own independent person, maybe I'd have grounds to fight it. 

NM8, I'm going to PM you, I'm just curious if you're applying for the same dept as I am

does anyone know of privacy laws that I can use in my favor to get the graph?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 12th, 2005 at 12:45am
Mike521,

The chart does not say you lied.  It simply is a record of your physiology at the time of the question/response.  There is any number of reasons you may have "spiked."  It is the examiner's interpretation that has deemed you deceptive.

As for privacy laws, you will need to access NY's revised statutes, administrative codes, etc.  Try a google search with new york state laws.  Make sure the address ends in .gov otherwise it will likely be a lawfirm website (at least in my experience).

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Aug 12th, 2005 at 4:55am
thanks brandon, 

if my understanding is correct, isn't deception indicated by a number with a plus sign? the only numbers I saw had minus signs, but occasionally there were letters with plus signs.

I should've paid more attention to the damn thing, I just thought I did fine and that it didn't matter

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NM8HTR
New User

Reply #7 - Aug 12th, 2005 at 4:55am
Mike, 

I'm in Nevada, so not the same department.  I havn't officially found out my verdict yet, but I'll keep everone posted.  But I don't have that "warm fuzzy feeling" about it.  Undecided

IP Logged

New User

Reply #8 - Aug 12th, 2005 at 6:57am
oh interesting. I actually looked into the las vegas police department today. might take their next test in september..

IP Logged

failed police poly in NY, am I entitled to papers?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X