Normal Topic jailhouse lawyer polygraph (Read 2758 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box lawdog
New User

jailhouse lawyer polygraph
Aug 10th, 2005 at 1:18am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
A wise old law proffessor advised my class never to take a polygraph. I ignored his advice because I graduated flat broke and badly needed a job as a prisoner advocate with the Maricopa County Sheriff's office. 

I naaively thought  scrupulous candor would get me through.  It did not. Questions about sexual conduct were so shocking  I was unexpectedly shocked and upset, undoubtedly causing erratic responses. Other questions were about  trivial youthful misconduct I had utterly forgotten, but though I was embarrassed I answered truthfully.

The test ended earlier than expected and I never heard any more about the job. 

I wish that wise old law proffessor had told us what I learned from this;  the polygraph works, if at all, by bluff.  I am occasionally asked about taking a polygraph. I  advise as my old prof did, do not submit to polygraph, if possible, and to his advice I add: if you must submit, do not admit  wrongdoing. 

Lie if you must. Certainly admit to nothing illegal.

If  the operator interprets you being deceptive, that's at most his subjective judgment,  not admissable in court. There still exists a doubt in your favor. If you admit wrongdoing, the test has worked by intimidation, and you have erased all doubts.  You can find yourself fired, even prosecuted.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Re: jailhouse lawyer polygraph
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 1:57am
What's ironic is they made a lawyer take a polygraph in the first place.  Everybody should know all lawyers are liars; why use a machine to confirm that?   Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box lawdog
New User

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 2:35am
That poly was for working in a prison setting, not required  for being a lawyer. The Bar knows polygraph is bogus.

Real irony is the level of scrutiny a lawyer endures to get admitted.  Far and away more than any other proffession. If I  rely on no evidence but a person's proffession to decide whether to trust, I trust an attorney over anyone,  knowing the strict scrutiny we pass before becoming an officer of the court.

Yet, a few lawyers prove  unworthy of trust later on and give the rest a black eye. Sadly, a flawless  history at the time of applying for admission is not an infallible predictor of  future honesty. 

If you think all lawyers are liars,  to avoid getting what  you  expect when you need one, you can and should check any lawyer's record with his/her bar.   

Gee, is that off the polygraph subject?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 4:40am
lawdog wrote on Aug 10th, 2005 at 2:35am:
That poly was for working in a prison setting, not required  for being a lawyer. The Bar knows polygraph is bogus.

Real irony is the level of scrutiny a lawyer endures to get admitted.  Far and away more than any other proffession. If I  rely on no evidence but a person's proffession to decide whether to trust, I trust an attorney over anyone,  knowing the strict scrutiny we pass before becoming an officer of the court.

Yet, a few lawyers prove  unworthy of trust later on and give the rest a black eye. Sadly, a flawless  history at the time of applying for admission is not an infallible predictor of  future honesty. 

If you think all lawyers are liars,  to avoid getting what  you  expect when you need one, you can and should check any lawyer's record with his/her bar.   

Gee, is that off the polygraph subject?

Gee, if this guy is a lawyer, I want my money back.  He can't even spell, "proffession."

Nonombre

Tongue

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 5:27am
nonombre wrote on Aug 10th, 2005 at 4:40am:

Gee, if this guy is a lawyer, I want my money back.  He can't even spell, "proffession."

Nonombre

Tongue

Even lawyers can make typos.  Confusing a typo with ones inability to spell is akin to assuming deception when none exists.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box qwertyuiop
New User

Reply #5 - Aug 11th, 2005 at 12:02am
i think he misspelled it twice.. but um i hate it when people worry about spelling

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box DippityShurff
New User

Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 9:06pm
Mark Twain once said, "Any man who can't spell a word at least three different ways is narrow-minded"

IP Logged

jailhouse lawyer polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X