Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) NYPD (Read 22670 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box cavhan7
New User

NYPD
Aug 9th, 2005 at 12:48pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Does NYPD conduct polygraph as part of the application process? I didnt find anything on their website. Also if they do, are they going to stop doing it any time soon? Is there any other city that does not use polygraph in their hiring process?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box opp
Senior User

Re: NYPD
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2005 at 2:57pm
From what I understand, the NYPD does not conduct polygraphs as part of their requirements. They rely on background checks and a drug test.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2005 at 6:20pm
cavhan7 wrote in part:
Quote:
Is there any other city that does not use polygraph in their hiring process?

Cities in Oregon, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey and Massachusetts do not use polygraph screening.  Polygraph screening is currently prohibited in these states.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box hwsternfan
User

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 12:14am
NYPD does not use the poly.  I would advise you not to take that job because they will hire just about anyone now.  Conditions are so bad on the job and morale is so low.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 5:26am
hwsternfan wrote on Aug 17th, 2005 at 12:14am:
NYPD does not use the poly.  I would advise you not to take that job because they will hire just about anyone now.  Conditions are so bad on the job and morale is so low.

Could you explain this further? and i think i ve also heard some what of this. As far as i remeber i belive it was because of the low pay.

IP Logged

User

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 8:44am
Quote:
Could you explain this further? and i think i ve also heard some what of this. As far as i remeber i belive it was because of the low pay.

Hmmm where to start!

Low pay (Lowest in Tri-State region)  Surburban cops earn $100,000 at top pay NYPD pays $59,000.  Even Newark, NJ pays more.

Unhealthy working condions - You are property of the city.  You will work 5 days a week 8:35 with two days off...mandatory days off will be worked as well...you must work or you will be terminated.  Think you can make more with OVERTIME...guess again...you are limited to a certain amout of hours a month. This is to insure no one officer makes a decent living. Surburban cops work 3 days a week with 12 hour shifts and 4 days off.

Liberal City - That means Civilian Complaint Review Board (formed by African American ex Mayor David Dinkens)  Which means perps/thugs can make unfounded complaints about an officer and the department finds you GUILTY until PROVEN INNOCENT.  Which means you can have your shield and gun taken away, wages garnished, fired, or sued.

Lower standards  The department is so desperate for recruits they now give away FREE I Pods to anyone who enters the Academy (no joke).  Backgrounds are not being fully checked...criminals are taking the job...why? because the city pays recruits $25,000 to start and 25 - 50% less then surrounding departments.

Quotas - You will be forced to write summonses to old ladies with an unleashed Chihuahua or a 16 year old riding a bike on the sidewalk just so the department can meet its quotas for the month.  You also will be forced to arrest at least 1 person a month...if you don't you will never get an approved vacation or day off or will be transfered to a command far from your home.

Just a few reasons to NEVER EVER JOIN THE NYPD.  Its not like it is on TV kiddies!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 5:35pm
Unfortunately, TV has given many a false sense of what the NYPD is and what Police work actually is.

As far as the NYPD, I have yet to hear anyone say good things about it.  Heck $25,100 to start in NY is really LOW wages and the lousy jump to 32,700 after graduation will have you living in poverty.  Think about who they are actually attracting into their ranks.  Check out their website and see for yourself that there really is no future in that department.  

Heck the cost of living in cities like Phoenix and Portland is 50% less than in New York  and they start off recruits in the 40's!

If I were you I would definitely seek employment elsewhere.

good luck.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

User

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 6:20pm
Quote:
Heck $25,100 to start in NY is really LOW wages and the lousy jump to 32,700 after graduation will have you living in poverty.

The NYPD is looking to hire people who are happy with less...where $25,000 is actually a step up for them.  The brass claim to have one of the most diverse departments in the country.  But that is because they can't attract anyone with a real education or direction in life no matter what race they are.  So the radio sounds like a third world nation on the air.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 8:56pm
Ok, so perhaps speaking "English" isn't on the top of their list of priorities Shocked

But I was really floored when I saw what a pathetic pay scale the dept offers.  Perhaps they are looking for people who will make a step up, however, I don't really see what 25K is a step up from.  Funny but the avg. Janitor in NY makes 28k with 24K at the low end of the spectrum, while housekeeping personnel make 26K with 22 being at the low end.  Security Guards average 35K with 30K being at the low end.  (I do ofcourse realize that at year 6 or so NYPD officers make 60K)

Personally it worries me that these people accepting the position in the NYPD eventually make it to supervisor and manager status.  I can definitely see a lot of criminals getting away with all kinds of crap simply due to officer error in procedure and violations of rights.

You have to wonder why it is the police force in NY is 300 officers smaller than it was 10 years ago, despite the fact that the Federal Gov't gave them funding to increase the force by 4000 officers.  They have lost over 1000 officers every year for the past 3 years and can barely hire enough people to fill in the slots of people that leave.

To make a LONG story short, NYPD=Bad career choice.

LOW WAGES + LOW MORALE= Abundant Corruption

« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2005 at 9:28pm by dimas »  

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

User

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 5:39am
Quote:
I don't really see what 25K is a step up from.

Its a step up from being unemployed or fresh from jail.

Quote:
They have lost over 1000 officers every year for the past 3 years and can barely hire enough people to fill in the slots of people that leave.

4,350 cops have left for other departments since 2000...thats not including the thousands who have retired since 9-11.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 6:05am
I just dont think that it would be too bad of a job to take. After putting up with it for 4-5 years and what not I could probably move up to detective and the make ok money at 80k. And if the people that they are hiring are so damn bad i could probably be promoted easier as well.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #11 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 6:33am
hwsternfan wrote on Aug 18th, 2005 at 5:39am:

Its a step up from being unemployed or fresh from jail.

LOL, well you do have a point there!

Quote:

I just dont think that it would be too bad of a job to take. After putting up with it for 4-5 years and what not I could probably move up to detective and the make ok money at 80k. And if the people that they are hiring are so damn bad i could probably be promoted easier as well.

Cavhan, I don't mean to knock you or put you down at all by what I have posted, I am just simply advising you based on past experience.  I used to work for a low paying department and must say that while I truly enjoyed my job, I found it very difficult to function surrounded by ineptitude.  Often times hearing officers that misspelled words like sheriff, county, suspect, juvenile, infraction and even the suspects names etc etc... complain that they weren't paid enough, bitch about the hours and all around lower morale had me going home with a headache.  I think it is that kind of person that truly bothered me the most in that job, because I honestly think they wouldn't even be qualified to work at the Quickie Mart(Yet they were officers of the law).  Those few that could spell, use common sense and had integrity and put forth 100% almost never complained openly(and I do mean FEW).  The sad truth is that many of the underqualified people make supervisor and often times will sidetrack your chances of advancement out of resentment or fear that you will make them look bad.  I made Sergeant in record time at that department and found that it became near impossible to work, because every time I turned my back someone was trying to put a knife in it! You get what you pay for and unfortunately the NYPD doesn't hold on to qualified individuals, so you will often have to put up with a very unprofessional work environment.

While they may say that a detective makes $80,000, they do say it is a detective 3rd grade or something like that, which is for all intents and purposes not a new detective but one that has been on the job for a while.  $80,000 may be a lot of money elsewhere in the country, but it definitely isn't all that much in NYC.

Either way if you do decide to stick with it I do wish you the best of luck and hope that perhaps you can add some professionalism to that department and others will follow suit.

good luck.

IP Logged

User

Reply #12 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 8:29am
Quote:
I just dont think that it would be too bad of a job to take. After putting up with it for 4-5 years and what not I could probably move up to detective and the make ok money at 80k

NYPD detectives 3rd grade make less then Sgts...no where near 80K.  The Detectives benefits are horrible as well...no where near what a PO gets.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rcop
User

Reply #13 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 10:17pm
But the NYPD detective gets the cool looking badge!

IP Logged

User

Reply #14 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 12:57am
Quote:
But the NYPD detective gets the cool looking badge!

...and lives in his Mom's basement.

IP Logged

NYPD

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X