Normal Topic bad previous BI to new BI and poly advice (Read 2321 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box fpio
New User

bad previous BI to new BI and poly advice
Aug 3rd, 2005 at 8:07pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
hello,

i've applied to some east coast PD departments in the past, but stopped all my applications prior to a polygraph on account that I found a job i wanted to try out. in filling out 2 departments background information i specified that i had never experimented with marijuana. this was on the advice of another officer who stated that if i admited to any sort of prior use, it would follow me on my employment record as a misdemeanor, and then could affect future promotions, etc. the reality of the situation was that in high school and college i experimented with marijuana a small number of times. I am thinking about opening back up the applications since i am not happy in my job, and i'd like to be honest with them as to prevent any problems with the polygraph. I am concerned however because they will clearly see the differance between no drug use on the first BI and experimental drug use with marijuana on the 2nd. In peoples experience is this something i can be open with and disclose. or will my previous mistake of hiding this on bad advice DQ me, in which case i should try my best to go forward with this not openly.

any advice would be appreciated. thank you

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Re: bad previous BI to new BI and poly advice
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2005 at 8:31pm
fpio wrote on Aug 3rd, 2005 at 8:07pm:
hello,

i've applied to some east coast PD departments in the past, but stopped all my applications prior to a polygraph on account that I found a job i wanted to try out. in filling out 2 departments background information i specified that i had never experimented with marijuana. this was on the advice of another officer who stated that if i admited to any sort of prior use, it would follow me on my employment record as a misdemeanor, and then could affect future promotions, etc. the reality of the situation was that in high school and college i experimented with marijuana a small number of times. I am thinking about opening back up the applications since i am not happy in my job, and i'd like to be honest with them as to prevent any problems with the polygraph. I am concerned however because they will clearly see the differance between no drug use on the first BI and experimental drug use with marijuana on the 2nd. In peoples experience is this something i can be open with and disclose. or will my previous mistake of hiding this on bad advice DQ me, in which case i should try my best to go forward with this not openly.

any advice would be appreciated. thank you

If you wish to apply to be a law enforcement officer you should be honest in your background investigation.  Not telling the truth on previous applications was not a good idea, but nonetheless you chose to do it.  Nobody made you do it, and you knew it was a lie and that it was wrong.  You must face up to any consequences that follow your choice.

On all applications from this point on tell the truth about your past.  If someone compares your previous application with a current one and asks about the inconsistencies, be honest and tell them just what you posted here.  If they disqualify you for that then apply somewhere else.  Lying about a lie you already told is not a good idea in any situation.  Tell the truth and face the consequences.

Sometimes personal responsibility sucks.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box fpio
New User

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2005 at 10:50pm
I plan to be honest with it. I shouldn't have listened to that advice in the first place. It was my mistake to assume that I would get right in, and that admitting past experimental marijuana usage, no matter how small, would be so detrimental in hurting chances of promotion or choice assignments.

i plan to accept the responsibility and be upfront with the department about my failure to tell them the initial time around. I honestly hope that it doesnt bar my chances, as i'd really like to work for that department.

minus the experimental marijuana usage in high school and college years ago, i feel i'm an exceptional candidate. and it would be a shame for someone to be disqualified for that. I think they will look more harshly on my omission of the marijauna usage the first time around however...  do you think that will be enough to have me removed from the process?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2005 at 11:50pm
For virtually all questions regarding whether one will be disqualified, the answer is, "It depends on the agency."

The only way to know for sure is to speak with someone in authority at the agency to which you are applying.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

bad previous BI to new BI and poly advice

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X