Normal Topic Passed my poly (question on psych) (Read 3656 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolyman
New User

Passed my poly (question on psych)
Jul 26th, 2005 at 7:23pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Thanks antipolygraph.org for your help! Your book and responses to questions were helpful. I have a psych scheduled soon. What should I expect on that test? Is there a way to prepare for it? Is there a preferable way to answer the questions?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Re: Passed my poly (question on psych)
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 10:16pm
Depending on what type of test they give you, it may help to read “The Big Book of Big Secrets” by William Poundstone.  There is a section in it about the Rorschach Test; what the shrinks look for, what to say and what to avoid.  It may be of assistance.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 10:50pm
Thanks Sergeant. I think it's the MMPI. I'm not sure. They told me that I'll have a written test and then an oral test with the psychologist so I'm assuming it's the MMPI. I know they say that there is no right or wrong answer. But I want to make sure I answer in the best possible way. What are some things to look for?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2005 at 1:36am
Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I'm not familiar with the specific things psychologists look for in an MMPI, as far as what is a red flag and what is considered "normal."  I can't immediately think of any books that have that information either.   

You might be able to find some information at http://www.familyrightsassociation.com/psych/MMPI/.  Their views are rather outside the mainstream but there are quite a few links on that page to information on the MMPI.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2005 at 2:44am
Thanks Sergeant. I'll check it out.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box WalkerTR
New User

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2005 at 8:16pm
I majored in psych in college and the main thing with the MMPI is the repetitive nature of the test. This is an attempt to maintain the tests internal validity. Many questions will be repeated by rewording or simple word re arangement. Have you ever lied to a loved one? Or, Have you ever told someone you loved something insincere? You must be careful to identify these and answer them consistently. The test also wants to ensure that you are not trying to present an overly grand image and it will give you statements like I read the newspaper everyday. You must of course answer the question literally. Nobody reads it EVERY day without fail. It will also give you really out there statements, maybe about aliens or voices telling you things, and you clearly don't want to say you agree to those statements. Basically, iff you are being honest, you will not really have a hard time.

The MMPI-2 consists of 567 statements to which the subject responds with true, false, or cannot say. The items cover a wide range of topics, including attitudes on religion and sexual practices, perceptions of health, political ideas, information on family, education, and occupation, and displays of symptoms known to be exhibited by certain groups of mentally disturbed people. In addition, this MMPI-2  also rates the respondent on nine important behavioral dimensions:

* Apparent need for further mental health assessment or programming
    * Indications of socially deviant behavior or attitudes
    * Extraversion, need for social participation
    * Leadership ability, dominance
    * Likelihood of hostile or antagonistic peer relations
    * Indications of conflicts with or resentment of authorities
    * Likelihood of mature, responsible behavior
    * Likelihood of positive or favorable response to academic programming
    * Likelihood of positive or favorable response to vocational programming

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Panama_Jack
New User

Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2005 at 12:04am
Nopolyman,

I am glad to here you passed your poly. I am about to take one myself, and it is reassuring to ere that people do indeed pass using countermeasures. If I may, I have have a question about the breathing procedure. Did you control your breathing throughout the stage when you were hooked up to the machineas instructed in the TLBTLDT (even btreathing at 2-4 second intervals) Did you follow the book by creating irregular responses on the control questions? Any advice on your experience woul dbe great. Thanks!

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 7:41pm
Walker, thanks for your help. Let me ask you a question. What if you are a bit inconsistent in your answers? I mean, I had a question that asked if I've ever lied and I said yes. Then it asked me a question to this effect, "I could not deceive someone even if I tried." I checked true on that because I'm a horrible liar and people can tell when I lie. Is that going to show up as inconsistent and make me take a retest?

Panama, I did control my breathing until the control questions came.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Panama_Jack
New User

Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2005 at 12:07am
Nopolyman,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I invaded your folder,; I just wanted some feedback from someone who recently passed using CMs. Was it difficult to control your breathing without rasing suspicion from the examiner? Did you use the method suggested in the book (even breaths every 2-4 seconds)? Did you use mental CMs or did you bite your tongue, or a combinationof both? Good luck with the remainder of your process!

IP Logged

Passed my poly (question on psych)

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X