Normal Topic Ever think about a non-government job? (Read 5197 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mercible
Ex Member

Darkcobra IS my Father!

Ever think about a non-government job?
Jul 23rd, 2005 at 7:48am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
With all the concern over government and law enforcement use of polygraph, it's a wonder anyone would want to work for either.  Why not try a career in a field which doesn't require a polygraph? 

Personally, I think a career in the insurance industry is much more desirable.  I've worked for three different companies over the past 10 years and never had to take a polygraph.  Basic pre-employment screening and a drug test, but no psych test, no grueling interview to delve into my personal life and especially NO polygraph exam.  Interview questions only relate to skills and attributes needed for the job.

I have good hours, great pay, awesome benefits, and no fear of being shot at by some low-life while doing my job.

(I'm not trying to recruit anyone, so don't ask me for an employment application, please!)

I've been where most of you job-seekers are.  After coming off active duty in the navy, I applied for a highway patrol job and also with the Dept of Energy.  I figured it would be easy to land one of these jobs because of my background in the military. WRONG!  It took me two years of trying to realize my best bet was to move in with my Dad, finish college and get a job in the business world.  I've never been happier!

Oh, and you guys are going to like this for sure......

My Dad is a polygraph examiner and has been for the last 20 years!  Is polygraph valid, reliable, trustworty?  I haven't a clue!  I know my Father to be a good, well-intentioned man.  He'd still be a police officer if some low-life criminal hadn't broken his back!  After that is when he went to polygraph school.  Take it from me, he didn't make any big bucks doing it.  He always worked as an independent examiner (not for some department).  He did a lot of criminal defense work and post conviction sex-offender testing.  I've been told by others that he's one of the best in the field.  If you have questions you would like for me to pose to him, I'd be glad to ask and report back.  Don't expect me to be able to understand much about what he is saying as my technical abilities aren't rooted in physiology, psychology, or any other "ology" for that matter.  You have a question for me on your insurance policy and I'm your man.  My knowlege of polygraph is only what I've heard from my Dad and read on this site.  Obviously the two don't always coincide.

Very interesting web-site!  I've got a lot of reading to do to catch up with you folks.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction. Prov 1:7

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box gelb disliker
Senior User

Re: Ever think about a non-government job?
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 9:49am
Insurance?   aren't you that gecko that we see on TV?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anxietyguy
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 4:22pm
With respect to what you stated, and I am sure your father can attest to it as well. Law Enforcement is like no other job out there, and for some people they see it as a calling. Unfortunately we have to take a polygraph to obtain the job (unless your lucky enough to live in a state that outlaws the polygraph.). I just don't think you can compare being a police officer to any other job.
Anxiety
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2005 at 4:37pm by anxietyguy »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box gelb disliker
Senior User

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 10:51am
Most non-government jobs won't get you on "COPS"  "bad boys, bad boys, what you gonna do when dey come for you..."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anxietyguy
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 4:38pm
Quote:
Most non-government jobs won't get you on "COPS"  "bad boys, bad boys, what you gonna do when dey come for you..."

Was that really necessary?

IP Logged

Ever think about a non-government job?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X