Normal Topic Conflicting polygraph results (Read 4577 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Conflicting polygraph results
Jul 13th, 2005 at 7:52pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I happened on this news story and thought I would share it with everyone here:

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/12122456.htm

This police officer "passed" an examination he requested.  However, he "failed" a polygraph he was compelled to undergo.  Seems that there may be a little truth to the argument that the outcome depends on who pays for the examination.  Lack of industry-wide integrity?  Did the coin toss go both ways?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Re: Conflicting polygraph results
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2005 at 8:38pm
Actually it appears to be even more ridiculous than that.  From the article it appears that the officer only submitted to a single polygraph exam.  The examiner hired by his attorney looked at the charts and said there was no deception.  Another examiner, hired by the city, looked at the charts and said that there was deception.

This explanation for this example must fall into the rather lame category of ‘there are bad polygraph examiners out there.’  Which one was “bad” in this case?   

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box spark
New User

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2005 at 3:30am
How is this any different than the normal everyday conflict between “expert witnesses” (both hired by the defense vs. those hired by prosecution) in an everyday criminal trial.  I always found it odd that a defense attorney can hire an expert to say the “sky is green” or the “glove don’t fit.”  I guess my only question is would you want a person who is sworn to protect to instead be spending his time actually casing your house while your gone, looking for an opportunity to victimize your wife or someone else’s wife because you hate polygraph?  I know that example doesn’t necessarily apply to this article.. but come on people.  Shall we cut off our nose to spite our face?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2005 at 6:30pm
Spark,

Actually, this is an example of two "experts" finding differing results based on the same offense.  It is an example of the lack of continuity between two examiners.  Polygraphy does nothing to give more confidence in the officers on our streets.  It is no guarantee of integrity or worthiness of the badge.

Perhaps you may be interested in some beach front property in Arizona, if so...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box railroaded
New User

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2005 at 10:35pm
You don't like the fact that attorneys can hire experts to rebut prosecutor's experts?  I hope to God you are not a cop.

The investigator on my case actually had the nerve to tell my wife that he has never put an innocent man in jail, only to joke later that no one is truly innocent.  Har, Har.   Sad

The entire legal system is corrupt...cops and prosecutors PAY legal experts to testify, attorneys PAY other experts to testify to the opposite, and the victim and defendant sit in the middle without a clue.  It all boils down to who can convince 12 otherwise un-extraordinary people that the other side is wrong.

IP Logged

Conflicting polygraph results

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X