Normal Topic Successful Legal Challenges? (Read 5322 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Matty
New User

Successful Legal Challenges?
Jul 11th, 2005 at 9:23pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Given that it could be very easily argued that Pre-Employment Polygraph Screening is unreliable and in many cases a candidates pass or fail is in the hands of a possibly biased polygraph examiner, why haven't there been successful legal challenges when a candidate has been disqualified, even though that person may have no criminal record, neighbors & former employers would testify that candidate is a law abiding person who would make a great LEO?

It seems that "Innocent until proven guilty" does not apply here and these unethecal polygraph examiners are getting away with ruining a good persons chance to pursue the career of their dreams. 

Unless I am missing something, it appears from everything I read here that this is allowed to happen and there is no recourse??  ???

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Re: Successful Legal Challenges?
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2005 at 11:51pm
The quick answer is: waiver of claims by examinee against agency and examiner.  This waiver must be signed prior to undergoing examination in the pre-employment setting.

You are correct in your assumption that "innocent until proven guilty" does not apply.  As this is not a court or legal proceeding (pre-employment) a person only has as many rights as the testing agency allows, unless they are somehow in violation of federal or state labor legislation.

You are also correct that there is little, if any, recourse.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2005 at 12:10am
Talk about a rigged system! 

Basically they make you sign the waiver if you want to proceed in the proccess and by not doing so, you will be disqualified and by doing so you are saying that they can be totally unfair and screw you if they so choose and there is nothing you can do about it.

This sounds more like Russia during Communisim, rather than America...

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2005 at 12:20am
Matty wrote:
Quote:
Basically they make you sign the waiver if you want to proceed in the proccess and by not doing so, you will be disqualified and by doing so you are saying that they can be totally unfair and screw you if they so choose and there is nothing you can do about it.

Yep.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2005 at 2:14am
Does anybody else want to weigh in on this?

Do LEO candidates have any recourse from being accused of deception when that is not the case?  Or is the opinion of the all mighty witch doctor the final word?

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2005 at 2:28am
Although you may have been wanting someone else to weigh in, the only recourse you may have is one of the following:  complaint to agency head or unit designated to handle citizen complaints for the agency with which you have applied or to a state oversight agency for polygraph examiners (if your state requires certification or licensure.  Another idea would be to lodge a complaint with any voluntary associations of which your examiner is a member such as the American Polygraph Association (APA) or the American Association of Police Polygraphphists (AAPP).  Also you may want to send a letter of complaint to any voluntary state association with which the examiner is affiliated.  Keep in mind voluntary associations are just that, so there is the possibility that no action will be taken.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2005 at 2:30am
The worst thing about it is the applicant doesn't even receive informed consent when signing the waiver. When I signed mine, I believed the polygraph to be nearly 100% accurate, so I thought I had nothing to lose. I also was not told how many applicants fail the polygraph until after I failed mine. The FBI ADMITS to 20%, but it's reportedly about 50%--not very good odds with which to gamble.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2005 at 2:36am
Matty:

There is a lawsuit brought by several LE officers against the federal government in regards to polygraph screening that is slowly working its way through the legal system.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box spark
New User

Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2005 at 3:34am
Polyfool, where are you getting your stats from 20% but "reportedly" 50%?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2005 at 4:57am
Spark:

The 20% figure is straight from the mouth of an FBI polygraph examiner as well as another FBI employee. 

The "reportedly" 50% is from an article entitled "The FBI Seeks to Rebuild its Image," written by Chris Mondics of The Philadelphia Inquirer, Washington Bureau. Mondics reports that Roger Trott, Chief of the FBI's agent training unit says that half of FBI agent applicants who pass preliminary tests don't pass the polygraph.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #10 - Jul 15th, 2005 at 7:00am
polyfool wrote on Jul 15th, 2005 at 4:57am:
Spark:

The 20% figure is straight from the mouth of an FBI polygraph examiner as well as another FBI employee. 

The "reportedly" 50% is from an article entitled "The FBI Seeks to Rebuild its Image," written by Chris Mondics of The Philadelphia Inquirer, Washington Bureau. Mondics reports that Roger Trott, Chief of the FBI's agent training unit says that half of FBI agent applicants who pass preliminary tests don't pass the polygraph.  

And that's half of those that pass the prelims.  Imagine what the failure rate would be if the feds polygraphed EVERYBODY that applied.

IP Logged

Successful Legal Challenges?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X