Normal Topic Re: Drug Testing (Read 3000 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Re: Drug Testing
Jun 30th, 2005 at 8:25am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Contact the agency in question.  Unless you're a recent chemotherapy patient the type of testing should be immaterial, unless you are attempting to hide something...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2005 at 6:39pm
Mr. Hall is correct in his statement.  It varies from agency to agency, however just as Mr. Hall pointed out, why would it matter unless you have something to hide?

As it is agencies who are having problems with substance abuse in their ranks are using varying methods of testing.  NYPD is now using hair analysis due to the fact that urinalysis is actually quite easy to beat and many drugs have clearance times of a few days in urine.

Ultimately, this depends on the department you apply for and what their protocols are for this.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2005 at 7:51pm
dimas wrote on Jul 2nd, 2005 at 6:39pm:
NYPD is now using hair analysis due to the fact that urinalysis is actually quite easy to beat and many drugs have clearance times of a few days in urine.

That would explain the increasing numbers of bald cops I am seeing.  Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box DippityShurff
New User

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 3:39pm
Random drug testing on employees is an integral thing we do in our agency.  Once you are notified that you have been selected, you are immediately taken to the testing facility.  Doesn't take long and the immediacy certainly lessens the change of countermeasures.  I have no problem with taking random drug tests for any "safety sensitive" position.  It does have a scientific basis.  Now, should an employee come back hot on the initial test, there is no adverse action at this point.  This test is then subjected to something called a Mass Spec test, which I'm told is extremely accurate. By the way, I just told you everything I know about "mass spec"  Do we ever have anyone who slips through the cracks?  I suppose.  Those that have been caught on this test were (admittedly subjective here) people I had my suspicions about anyway.  My only complaint is that I have been selected 4 times in a year.  prior to that, one time in  just about forever.  Oh well, ain't randomicity great. If I were the king of the world, I would do away with polygraph pre-employment screening. I would assuredly keep drug testing.

IP Logged

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X