Normal Topic HIGHEST FAILING RATE - FBI OR CIA? (Read 10075 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box opp
Senior User

HIGHEST FAILING RATE - FBI OR CIA?
Jun 30th, 2005 at 4:06am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Which of the two – CIA or FBI has the highest polygraph failing rate, and how many polygraphs does the CIA allow you to take?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: HIGHEST FAILING RATE - FBI OR CIA?
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 8:16am
The CIA's pre-employment polygraph failure rate is reportedly close to 75%, while the rate for the FBI is reportedly about 50%.

To the best of my knowledge, the CIA's polygraph regulation has not been publicly released, and it is not clear whether it places a ceiling on the number of polygraph sessions that may be administered to an applicant.

Note that with the CIA, virtually all applicants are initially told that they are "having problems" and are treated to one or more follow-up "tests."

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2005 at 4:36am
Dear Readers,

Let's add some more fuel for thought.  On Govexec.com today there was an article about how the security backlog in government is not improving despite efforts to do so.  It seems that with every one hundred new contract background investigators hired each month, seventy leave.  If they start using the polygraph to screen the background investigators, 50% would fail and only fifty a month would be hired.  There would be a net twenty contractors less per month.  This is why they are not polygraphed.

Beware other government agencies.  The law of supply and demand is starting to rear its ugly head.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box cavhan7
New User

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2005 at 8:43am
I really would appreciate honest answers from everyone on this one. Is it the fact that more is on the line for CIA than FBI that appicants tend to fail more by getting nervous or is it that CIA is stricter and will me less leniant towards the differences in heart rate and what not?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2005 at 7:29pm
I think the CIA poly is longer and more in depth and creates more chances for failure than the FBI one.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box opp
Senior User

Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2005 at 9:12pm
I spoke with a guy who is in charge of a particular department at the CIA and he told me that three out five well qualified individual didn't make it thru the polygraph last month. It's bad, bad, bad!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Trident77

Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 4:01am
Mr. Maschke,

I appreciate the work you have put into this website. In you post from 2005, you state that the CIA pre-employment polygraph failure rate is reportedly near 75%. 

Do you have any reason to believe this failure rate has changed significantly since then?

Thanks,

Trident77

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 6:59am
The reported CIA polygraph failure rate of nearly 75% was from a March 2005 article by Gabriel Schoenfeld. It turns out, he misconstrued a statement by Melissa Boyle Mahle. It seems the CIA polygraph failure was probably closer to 50%. See the discussion thread, Melissa Boyle Mahle on CIA Polygraph Policy and in particular, replies #3 and #13.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

HIGHEST FAILING RATE - FBI OR CIA?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X