Normal Topic Polygraph soon, have Questions. (Read 2203 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sweet
New User

Polygraph soon, have Questions.
Jun 22nd, 2005 at 9:14pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I was in LE for 7 years and quit to stay home with my children. 5 years later, I'm looking at getting back into the field.  When I originally applied, I only had to take a psych & a physical fitness test.  As I understand it now, I will also have to take a polygraph.   

I have a close relative that is a polygraph examiner. I discussed the possibility of my upcoming polygraph with him and blindsided me with a ton of information, including this website.  He said that he really truly believes that polygraphs should not be used for screening purposes because there is too much unknown. (He does however believe in them for criminal cases.)  He told me to come to this site and read what it had to say before I took my polygraph.  I have now spent nearly 6 hours on the site over the past week reading and I am flabergasted. Man, what I did not know!  Thank you all for the information.  But now I'm even MORE scared and confused.

Sorry for the long post, but here are my questions:

1) I have a few skeletons in the closet, but none that I am willing to lie about.

IP Logged

New User

Re: Polygraph soon, have Questions. cont.
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2005 at 9:22pm
Sorry about that.

1. I am wondering if everything that I di was before the age of 20 yrs, if that will be held against me?

2. I one time took money from an employer because he hadn't paid me in 4 pay cycles. (Yeah, I'm justifying, but it's the truth.) This was when I was 17 yrs. old. I only did it once. But, because it was $320, (my expected paycheck) and would have been considered to be a criminal offense if caught, is that a DQ immediately?

3. I am 36 years old and am squeaky clean other than this offense.  I don't want to have to use CM's because I want to be honest and upfront, but also want this job.

I struggle with telling the examiner this because coupled with the fact that I have NEVER used any drugs, (which I don't think he/she would believe) My brother was a drug addict and I have strong emotions about any drugs. 

I haven't done anything in 19 years that would be considered criminal and actually have a quite boring past. But the fact still remains that I think the examiner may think I am lying.   

I would appreciate any assistance anyone has to offer. 

Sincerely,
Sweet

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Deputydog
New User

Re: Polygraph soon, have Questions.
Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2005 at 1:48am
You don't have to be dishonest to rely on cm's. But as to your question; The admission of that type of theft will most likely be a disqualifier since you apparently made no effort to give it back after all this time. It is even worse if the employer in question finally did pay you the back pay. That would be an interesting question...... so did he? And if he did finally pay you, did you keep the money you took??? One possible way to make you feel better about this whole thing is TO GIVE BACK THE DAMN MONEY!!! You could have done it annonimously and not had to deal with the guilt.  It would be easier to call it a loan that way.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2005 at 4:55pm
Good point.  I should stated, that I left the job.  I gave 2 weeks notice on that day and told him that I would no longer work there because he didn't pay me.  He said that he didn't have the money to pay me and that it would be best if I just quit that day. So I did. He never did pay me any additional money, and I never asked for any.  But beyond that, I didn't make any effort to pay it back (or confess either) and I feel guilty about that.  It was wrong. I knew it was wrong when I did it, I know it's wrong now.  But, on the flip side, I have learned from my mistakes.  I am human (not that every human would do what I did though...)  And I have never done anything like that again.

So, do I admit to that in the pre-test interview?  If so, is it going to DQ me immediately?  My relative (poly examiner) would not answer this question directly. I think he feels like it would be unbecoming of his job to tell me one way or the other.  He just told me to come to this site and explained that screening tests are A LOT different that criminal polygraphs.  I couldn't get out of him what he thought I should do.   

My gut tells me to go in there, admit to it, and the other minor things that I've done in my life and get it over with.  But I keep coming back to the fact that this was FOREVER ago.  Maybe that doesn't make any difference.   

Thanks for answering my questions. I do appreciate it.   
Sweet

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Deputydog
New User

Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2005 at 9:16pm
Sweet, It sounds like the employer made a bad choice also. The problem I am getting to is; This is NOT a youthfull mistake that is done and over with and there is nothing you can do to change it.  Yes, it was a long time ago and IF it was doing dope or something way back then, it probably wouldn't be a huge problem now. Because you couldn't really make that right now. But the fact that there was plenty of opportunity (and still may be) to rectify the wrong and you still made no attempt to, will not be favorably looked at by ANY background investigator or employer. The bottom line is, you have extended the offense to the present time and that will make your character look bad. I believe they will look at it that way and I also believe (if you admit to it) they will DQ you pretty quick. Also,  If you admit to it, It will become a part of a permanant record that other agencies can look at and that will probably DQ you from future opportunities.
I hope this helps....goodluck  (download the free book)

IP Logged

Polygraph soon, have Questions.

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X