Normal Topic upcoming test - serious issus (i read the book) (Read 1399 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dusty_spring
New User

upcoming test - serious issus (i read the book)
May 18th, 2005 at 1:18pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello,

I'm applying for a job in a large software company (private company, not in the USA). I've already done all their standard screening procedures - interview, employee aptitude test etc. The only thing left is a polygraph test, which to the best of my knowledge is also a standard procedure for all employees.

The test itself will be performed not by the company itself, but by a private polygraph agency.

I've been told by both the employers and friends who work there (whom I have no reason to suspect) that the test is quite routine and short (about 20 minutes) and is supposed to check mostly if I'm not spying for a different company.

Now, the problem: I don't spy for a different company, but ... I did bluff a little on the first interview - the interviewer wanted to know some things about my academic achievements and I told that my grades were a bit higher than they really are. Of course I'm now terribly sorry about it, but it's too late to go back.

It's highly unlikely that I will be asked on the test itself "Were your grades so-and-so", but I can imagine that it is somewhat possible that they'll ask me something in the lines of "Did you provide complete and truthful information on your job interview?"

That is ... until I read your interesting site and "The Lie Behind" book. I didn't discuss these issues too deeply with my friends (I'm embarrassed, obviously), but one of them did mention that the last question on the test was: "Do you consider yourself an honest person?" When he told me that, I thought that this question is supposed to check for general reliability of the applicant. It is likely that I would react physically to this question - I consider myself more honest than most people, but I am ashamed of every little fib. But now that I read the book and now I understand that most likely it is a "control question" or even a "sacrifice question".

Now I'm totally confused - let me see if I get this straight:
* To the question: "Do you spy for other companies", I will answer a truthful "No" and probably will not produce a significant physical reaction.
* To the question: "Do you consider yourself an honest person?" I will answer "Yes", but possibly I will produce a physical reaction, because I'll feel ashamed about my bluff on the interview.
* To the question: "Did you provide complete and truthful information on your job interview?" I will answer "Yes" and likely produce a physical reaction, because it is a right-out lie.

And this seems TOO easy: I'm not worried about the "spying" question (or should I be?); I used to be worried about the "honest" question, but as I understand now, the higher reaction it produces the better. I'm still worried about the "interview" question, though ... From your experience, are questions like this likely to be asked on a job application test?

MY friend also said that I have to sign some declaration before the test begins, in which I am supposed to admit on minor sins, such as stealing little things ... in the book you recommend not to sign anything like that, but he says that I have to. If so, what are the sins that are OK to confess?

I'll be greatly thankful for any clarifications.

I do have to say that reading the book made me less nervous anyway, so thanks for that too.

IP Logged

upcoming test - serious issus (i read the book)

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X