Normal Topic NSA, CIA applications going (Read 18046 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jennewilloughby
New User

NSA, CIA applications going
May 17th, 2005 at 11:42pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Alright- I have a few questions.  I am very under way with NSA processing, having successfully completed the polygraph, etc (thank you antipolygraph.org!  i couldn't have done it without you!  not that i lied exactly, but ot was easy they immediately thought i was a "Screamer" i think she might have even used that word, talked about how my parents had brought me up right to know that lying was bad, etc.), I am waiting on the psych eval results.  I was also just invited to a CIA "information session" to be followed by an interview- this is after a phone interview and a written application full of essays/short answers, etc.  Has anyone been to one of these invitees-only information sessions?  What is it like? 
Also, while I am not currently suffering from depression, I have in the past and am still on medications.  i also was hospitalized a number of years ago for depression.  NSA has been doing significant investigations, gathering all records, etc., but I am worried that they will write me off . . . in which case, should I bother with the CIA?  Has anyone with a history of mental illness made it into one of these agencies?
Thanks-

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polypasser1231
New User

Re: NSA, CIA applications going
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2005 at 11:52pm
Yes, I was invited to one of the CIA's information sessions for invitees only. They gave use a briefing about the agency, then went through a security briefing (detailing what was part of the background investigation). They then split us up into career fields and conducted individual interviews. In my case, they told each one of us that we were not competing against each other, that they had an opening for all of us. About three weeks after the interview, I received a Fed-Ex'd package containing a Conditional Offer of Employment and all of the security paperwork to complete. They then will schedule you for a poly, psych/med eval, etc. 

And everything you get from them will be marked in a "discrete" manner, so as not to tip off the mail-carrier. Smiley

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NSAreject
Senior User

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2005 at 12:31am
Jenne,

Yes, I had a similar situation, being an ex-NSA
employee, and suffering from depression (and related
issues), after losing my Mother.  NSA put me into
adjudication limbo, as one adjudicator said that I still 
had issues (which wasn't true).  I "passed" my CI poly
(big joke), and got cleared through the CIA very
quickly.  My feeling is, and what I have heard, is that 
the CIA is more forgiving (reasonable).  The DoD
would certainly clear you, since you sought help and are
taking medication.  They would see it as a positive
step in your life, while NSA would probably see it, as
a "red flag".  Also, since NSA seems to attract people
with disfunctional backgrounds (not meaning you),
depression is rampant; it is said that NSA keeps the
drug companies in business  Smiley  I remember one mass
email (which I couldn't believe), stating that some 
woman was suffering from major-depression, without
psychotic single-episode, and was asking for leave
donations, because she had been on sick leave for six
months and had used up her sick leave bank donations.

P.S. I hope you didn't use your real name...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box opp
Senior User

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2005 at 5:59am
I also had an interview, the interviewer was very nice but it doesn't mean that the polygrapher will be. Hang in there and don't quit your job until you have been hired. Before the interview, there was a security brief and the person said that we should not try to beat the poly by using CM because they will detect it. Good luck!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jennewilloughby
New User

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2005 at 8:03pm
Thanks for responding- and don't worry it isn't my real name Smiley
So this whole CIA thing is for clandestine service, not IA . . . do you still think they will be cool about depression in the past? and meds?  No one seems to tell me what the "physical" requirements are . . .
Any ideas?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NSAreject
Senior User

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2005 at 11:21pm
jenne,

I would certainly give the CIA a try, and maybe the
NSA.  I am sure the CIA has the same depression 
related issues with its employees (alcohol has always
been a problem).   Just be aware, that a denial by either
agency, could affect your chances at the other agency.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Orlando
New User

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2005 at 5:58am
jennewilloughby,

So you passed the poly with CMs? Was it difficult? I will be taking the lifestyle poly in the future and still deciding whether or not to use CMs. Did you have any problems? Did you follow it the TLBTLDT?SOme of my friends who took and were sucessfull told me not to even try and beat it. I hear so many conflicting stories. Would be great to here from you since you were sucessful; that is, as much as you can so you don't give away who you are. Thanks!    

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box poly

Reply #7 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 1:35am
Does anyone know what are the chances for someone to get the job at the CIA after they have received their COE and done the poly, med., background check, etc.?

Thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 9yards

Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 12:58am
Receiving treatment for a diagnosed condition should not have any impact on your application with NSA or CIA.  If anything, it shows that you are proactive in identifying and addressing medical conditions, something too many Americans ignore.  The bigger question is whether someone whose brain chemistry places them under clinical levels of depressive stress would enjoy a job in either of these agencies.  Similar to law enforcement, jobs in the intelligence community are psychologically punishing.  What does your therapist think?  If your therapist encourages you to go for it, then by all means go for it.  That's the sort of insight therapists get paid to know, right?

IP Logged

NSA, CIA applications going

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X