Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) the irony of this website..? (Read 12122 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NoPolyPlease
New User

the irony of this website..?
May 14th, 2005 at 7:03pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
The irony of this website is that it may increase the probability that a person fails the "test". Why? 

It seems that we have two self-fulfilling prophecies at work here: 1) the subject believes the machine/polygrapher work, lies, becomes anxious that the lie will be detected, the anxiety is detected by the machine/polygrapher, and is correctly accused of deception; 2) the subject believes the machine/polygrapher do not work, tells the truth, becomes anxious that s/he will be falsely accused of deception, the anxiety is detected by the machine/polygrapher, and is falsely accused of deception.

This website, by creating an implacable skepticism in the subject regarding the accuracy of the machine/polygrapher, greatly increases the probability of scenario #2.

I was recently granted TS/SCI access, and was told that I will eventually have to submit to a poly. Before visiting this website, I knew nothing about polygraph interrogations. I frankly find our government's continued use of polygraphs to be appalling and barbaric. They may as well slice open chickens and try to read the quivering entrails.

The real question is whether I'm going to be able to hide my contempt for polygraphy from the polygrapher during the interrogation. I have very little tolerance for bullshit, and I'm also not fond of being a plaything for a corrupt and degenerate bureaucracy.

Thank you for an excellent website. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Re: the irony of this website..?
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2005 at 9:37pm
You forgot scenario #3: the person believes the poly works because he/she knows very little about it and nothing about this site. He/she tells the truth, is falsely accused of deception and fails, but doesn't know what the hell is going on because he/she believed in the accuracy of the test. 

I'd much rather go into a polygraph as an informed consenter. I had absolutely no idea what I was getting myself into when I took mine. I thought I was submitting to a reliable testing procedure that would prove me truthful. If I had known about this site or even how many people fail polys before I took mine, I would never have consented to it. 

P.S. If you've got a low tolerance for bullshit, I'd say you're in real trouble with the poly. You might want to bring a shovel with you.      

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 14th, 2005 at 11:03pm
Quote:
P.S. If you've got a low tolerance for bullshit, I'd say you're in real trouble with the poly. You might want to bring a shovel with you. 

Shovel won't be big enough.   Wink

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2005 at 1:09am
You're right. A bulldozer would do the job nicely.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NoPolyPlease
New User

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2005 at 4:41pm
The real danger: if the polygrapher makes me mad, I am fully capable of losing my temper and saying
something like this: "Let's get a few things straight here, buster. This isn't a test but an
interrogation. That machine isn't a lie detector but one of your many tools for intimidation. 
And you aren't an intelligence professional but a pathetic bottom-feeder who would be better off
flipping burgers at the local McDonald's than participating in this sick charade."

I wonder how my chart would be scored ??? Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2005 at 8:17pm
NoPolyPlease wrote on May 15th, 2005 at 4:41pm:
The real danger: if the polygrapher makes me mad, I am fully capable of losing my temper and saying
something like this: "Let's get a few things straight here, buster. This isn't a test but an
interrogation. That machine isn't a lie detector but one of your many tools for intimidation. 
And you aren't an intelligence professional but a pathetic bottom-feeder who would be better off
flipping burgers at the local McDonald's than participating in this sick charade."

I wonder how my chart would be scored ??? Grin

Should be scored as truthful.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #6 - May 16th, 2005 at 5:38am
i happen to agree with the original post on this thread. however, any test that purports to serve a vital national security interest should not be so corruptable as to be less accurate just because someone knows that the polygrapher is lying to you about the nature of the test.

What other "scientific" test do you know of where knowledge of the procedure may hurt the accuracy of the diagnosis. lol. 
imagine your doctor saying "whatever, you do sir, dont go to those EKG bashing sites or you may get a false positive on your heart rythm."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2005 at 10:14pm
Hi.,

I am a brand new police polygraph examiner and I thought I would take my few short months of experience and weigh in to this anti-polygraph argument with two small questions.  Please don’t boil me in oil for asking this, but…

If the polygraph is so utterly useless and as a result criminals and spies have little to fear of getting caught, then why are there so many postings stressing that if confronted with a lie correctly identified by the polygraph, the person correctly caught should “deny, deny, deny?”

This position would seem to indicate two things.  The first is an apparent acceptance that polygraph can in fact correctly identify liars, or the many postings pushing the guilty to continue to deny would simply not exist.  The second thing it would suggest to me as a law enforcement officer is that the people on this site are in fact openly attempting to assist the guilty to evade capture.  I am not being a “smart ass” here, I am just relating what seems obvious to me.   

This also seems to be true for the whole countermeasure controversy.  For example, in one recent post by Dr. Drew Richardson (the apparent countermeasure guru) repeats the phrase, “UNDER ANY AND ALL CIRCUMSTANCES deny countermeasure use.”  He states this FIVE times in as many lines of text.  Yet, in the same post, he insists “…examiners can not reliably detect them.”

Well, if Dr Richardson, speaking from purely an objective, scientific position, truly believes that countermeasures cannot be reliably detected, then why is he so fervently telling people who have attempted countermeasures and as a result have been caught in this endeavor, to “deny, deny, deny?”

It would appear to me that Dr. Richardson’s position on this topic is perhaps more personal and emotional than scientific.  Otherwise he would not be so determined on instructing people who have been correctly identified as attempting countermeasures, to deny their use at any and all costs.  Deliberately skew data?  Not a very “scientific” position, I’m afraid.

Yet, former FBI agent Dr. Richardson, like others on this site insists he is making no attempt to assist the guilty.

I’m confused.  What am I missing here?

Once again, please don’t drag me behind a truck for asking about these things.  I am still learning about all this and I am trying to keep an open mind. ...
Undecided

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2005 at 1:41am
nonombre wrote on Jun 18th, 2005 at 10:14pm:
If the polygraph is so utterly useless and as a result criminals and spies have little to fear of getting caught, then why are there so many postings stressing that if confronted with a lie correctly identified by the polygraph, the person correctly caught should “deny, deny, deny?”

You are assuming the lie was correctly identified by the polygraph; many cases the polygrapher is simply bluffing and since polygraphics can not properly detect lies anyway (only changes in physilogical condition) the proper course for anybody -- guilty or innocent -- is to stick to their guns and deny deny deny.

Quote:

This position would seem to indicate two things.  The first is an apparent acceptance that polygraph can in fact correctly identify liars, or the many postings pushing the guilty to continue to deny would simply not exist.  The second thing it would suggest to me as a law enforcement officer is that the people on this site are in fact openly attempting to assist the guilty to evade capture.  I am not being a “smart ass” here, I am just relating what seems obvious to me.

The position does not indicate that polygraphics works reliably at all.  The point people in the countermeasure community are trying to assert is that polygraphics does not work reliably and that if somebody is accused of "lieing" by a polygrapher, it is simply a bluff and one should call that bluff.  As for people helping criminals on this site, that is complete nonsense.  Posters that post and say "I've commited a crime and I'm guilty and I need help to beat the box" don't get much sympathy here.  There are thousands of others victimised by the polygraph that you as a police polygrapher probably never see (unless you polygraph innocent job applicants).  Those people, like the founders of this site, are either victims or would be victims of polygraph screening.

The other problem with polygraphics in criminal use is that since criminals CAN beat the box, they are sometimes "exonerated" incorrectly, and the police don't do a thorough investigation.

Quote:

This also seems to be true for the whole countermeasure controversy.  For example, in one recent post by Dr. Drew Richardson (the apparent countermeasure guru) repeats the phrase, “UNDER ANY AND ALL CIRCUMSTANCES deny countermeasure use.”  He states this FIVE times in as many lines of text.  Yet, in the same post, he insists “…examiners can not reliably detect them.”
Examiners can't detect them; but that won't stop them from bluffing and saying that they can.  Naive subjects (since one would have to be naive to take a polygraph in the first place) need to know this.
Quote:
Yet, former FBI agent Dr. Richardson, like others on this site insists he is making no attempt to assist the guilty.

I’m confused.  What am I missing here?

Once again, please don’t drag me behind a truck for asking about these things.  I am still learning about all this and I am trying to keep an open mind. ...
Undecided
If you equate the "whistle blowing" on the fraud that is polygraphics that occurs on this site with helping the guilty, then you must also see shadows behind every corner.  That seems like an unhealthy sense of paranoia.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - Jun 19th, 2005 at 2:35am
Jeffrey,

Thank you for responding.  Please allow me to address your thoughts...

Jeffery wrote on Jun 19th, 2005 at 1:41am:

You are assuming the lie was correctly identified by the polygraph; many cases the polygrapher is simply bluffing and since polygraphics can not properly detect lies...

The polygraph school I attended enforced that we were never to "bluff" when it came to an opinion of deception (or lack there-of)  We were taught that only if our analysis identified "deception", are we to confront the examinee.

The point people in the countermeasure community are trying to assert is that polygraphics does not work reliably and that if somebody is accused of "lieing" by a polygrapher, it is simply a bluff and one should call that bluff. 

I believe I have already addressed this point of view.  If I tell someone I have found their test results indicate deception, it is ONLY because my analysis of the results support that opinion.

The other problem with polygraphics in criminal use is that since criminals CAN beat the box, they are sometimes "exonerated" incorrectly, and the police don't do a thorough investigation.

Jeffrey, I believe you make a good point here.  I believe that polygraph does have an error rate (few things are perfect)  and I am concerned that I may one day call a guilty person innocent (or an innocent person guilty for that matter).  However, I believe that based on the little I have experienced so far, the polygraph procedure seems to get it "right" a whole lot more than not.

Thank you again for answering.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #10 - Jun 19th, 2005 at 2:37am
nonombre:

If polygraph examiners could correctly identify  countermeasure use, then they would not accuse innocent examinees of such who have absolutely no knowledge of them. 

Guilty people fear the polygraph due to the MYTH of its accuracy, not because it works. The polygraph does not detect lies, it simply measures physiological responses. Not everyone reacts the same when they lie. There are cool liars and nervous truth tellers. The flawed test doesn't take into account the complexity of the human mind. It's really quite ridiculous when one finds out the truth (or the lie) behind it.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #11 - Jun 19th, 2005 at 3:25am
nonombre wrote on Jun 19th, 2005 at 2:35am:
Jeffrey, I believe you make a good point here.  I believe that polygraph does have an error rate (few things are perfect)  and I am concerned that I may one day call a guilty person innocent (or an innocent person guilty for that matter).  However, I believe that based on the little I have experienced so far, the polygraph procedure seems to get it "right" a whole lot more than not.

It is the error rate that is so frustrating and has many concerned with the polygraph.  Your school probably taught that the error rate is low (duh!).  Many people's experience proves otherwise.  Even still, the test methodology for scientifically testing polygraph accuracy is a joke.  "Pretend to commit a crime, then lie about it on a test polygraph -- with no consequences to the test subject."  That is my synopsis on the various DoD polygraph accuracy studies I've seen.  What a joke.

To base polygraph reliability on criminals who take the polygraph, lie, are accused of lieing and then later confess is likewise a joke since the test subjects aren't from a good cross section of society and were indeed guilty in the first place.

The danger of falsly accusing an honest person of deception is what angers me about polygraphics.  Do you do pre-employment polygraph screening in your job?

What happens if A: the test subject knows the "lie behind the lie detector" or B: the examiner picks extremely poor control questions, based upon their limited knowledge of the subject (and perhaps incorrect prejudices) and the control question doesn't register a significant enough response.  How do you score the chart then?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #12 - Jun 19th, 2005 at 4:56am
Jeffery wrote on Jun 19th, 2005 at 3:25am:

It is the error rate that is so frustrating and has many concerned with the polygraph.  Your school probably taught that the error rate is low (duh!).  Many people's experience proves otherwise.  Even still, the test methodology for scientifically testing polygraph accuracy is a joke.  "Pretend to commit a crime, then lie about it on a test polygraph -- with no consequences to the test subject."  That is my synopsis on the various DoD polygraph accuracy studies I've seen.  What a joke.

To base polygraph reliability on criminals who take the polygraph, lie, are accused of lieing and then later confess is likewise a joke since the test subjects aren't from a good cross section of society and were indeed guilty in the first place.

The danger of falsly accusing an honest person of deception is what angers me about polygraphics.  Do you do pre-employment polygraph screening in your job?

What happens if A: the test subject knows the "lie behind the lie detector" or B: the examiner picks extremely poor control questions, based upon their limited knowledge of the subject (and perhaps incorrect prejudices) and the control question doesn't register a significant enough response.  How do you score the chart then?

Jeffrey,

To answer yor question, we do pre-employment screening at my department and I have done probably three times as many of those as criminal tests (although all in all, I have not done that many exams yet).   I do know that in my criminal exams, I have solved a few cases that the detectives had otherwise given up on (I am going to court next week on one of them).  As far as the pre-employments go, polygraph tests I have run have turned up information that stopped my department hiring some people that most  folks would truly not want in any position of trust.

Yet, I am always concerned about wrongfully keeping a good person from getting a job with us.  I don't know what I would have done if the polygrapher who tested me had been wrong and kept me from getting on the department.  As far as picking the right questions, etc, I have to rely on what I have been taught.  It seems to have worked out pretty well so far.   

Like I said, I'm not blind, I know we have an error rate, but at least in the few exams I have run, whether they be criminal exams or screenings, I have found the exams to be confirmed by the information I have received (One guy even led me to a stolen T.V. in his living room).

Hell, I don't know scientific the whole thing is.  I just believe in my case it has worked out pretty well so far.  However, like I said, I will keep an open mind.  I have always tried to do the right thing.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #13 - Jun 19th, 2005 at 5:13am
polyfool wrote on Jun 19th, 2005 at 2:37am:
nonombre:

Guilty people fear the polygraph due to the MYTH of its accuracy, not because it works. The polygraph does not detect lies, it simply measures physiological responses. Not everyone reacts the same when they lie. There are cool liars and nervous truth tellers. The flawed test doesn't take into account the complexity of the human mind. It's really quite ridiculous when one finds out the truth (or the lie) behind it.

Polyfool, than you for writing.  I have read your post and still do not understand why the people on this site are telling folks who have done various things to try and "beat" the polygraph test, and have yet failed, to deny their attempts to change what was obviously an accurate outcome.  I mean, I guess I know why.  All I am saying is it is impossible to justify those actions and STILL say there is no intent to assist the guilty in evading detection.

Respectfully.

Nonombre

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #14 - Jun 19th, 2005 at 5:22am
nonombre wrote on Jun 19th, 2005 at 4:56am:

Jeffrey,

To answer yor question, we do pre-employment screening at my department and I have done probably three times as many of those as criminal tests (although all in all, I have not done that many exams yet).   I do know that in my criminal exams, I have solved a few cases that the detectives had otherwise given up on (I am going to court next week on one of them).  As far as the pre-employments go, polygraph tests I have run have turned up information that stopped my department hiring some people that most  folks would truly not want in any position of trust.

Wonderful.  Congratulations.  But there are many who are falsely accused or otherwise turned away because of bogus polygraph results.

You caught some bad guys?  That's nice.  I just hope your agency doesn't rely on the fact that others "passed" their polygraphs, and so must be nice people.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
the irony of this website..?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X