Normal Topic Will I be Ineligible Forever? (Read 2168 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box goinfederal
New User

Will I be Ineligible Forever?
May 13th, 2005 at 4:07am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Question:  I have just recently (last five-six years or so) decided that I wanted to pursue a career in federal law enforcement, but having finally finished up college after several breaks in enrollment, I am not sure if I will be deemed "eligible" for hire.  My intention is to pursue the National Park Police, US Probation Office, ICE Detention and Removal Operations, BIA (i'm part indian), FWS, or the US Marshals Service.  My question is this, I experimented with Marijuana back in high school (roughly 97' or so) and thats no big deal, but when I was in my freshman/sophmore year of college I used ecstasy a total of 6 times in a 14 month period or so, my last use being 5 1/2 years ago.  Really stupid looking back, but I was an idiot when i started college, thought hanging out and partying was what it was supposed to be about.  Anyhow, for you BI's or Federal Officers out there, how do I fare in realistic terms?  The rest of my BG is clean, no other blemishes and I graduated in the top 5% of my class.  I'll be really pissed if some retarded college activity will prevent me from serving in law enforcement.  Also, if there are any state/local level officers and BI's that have an opinion to contribute it would be much appreciated as well.  Thanks ahead of time for the candor and I hope to get some feedback soon.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Re: Will I be Ineligible Forever?
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2005 at 4:17pm
Even local police departments disqualify applicants for just a single use of ecstasy.  LE agencies, particularly at the local level, are having a difficult time finding younger applicants who haven't experimented with ecstasy due to its prevalence  in high schools and on college campuses.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Deputydog
New User

Re: Will I be Ineligible Forever?
Reply #2 - May 20th, 2005 at 1:19am
Don't lose hope. Your still young and have time to wait on the dream. I had some things in my past also but I waited about 10 years before applying. In that 10 years you will end up with better friends and a lot better history for a bi to look at. It's up to you, but you will still have to make a choice as to whether or not to admit to doing all that stuff. My guess is: you won't stand a chance if you admit to it no matter how long you wait and you and I both know, that aint fair!! I had a bi friend tell me recently that he whished sometimes recruits would just shutup about it! The department really doesn't want to know about it for future liability reasons! Then read the BOOK and take your chances on the poly.
You know what kind of person you really are now and will be in 10 years. I didn't become a cop until I was 38. My advise is to
Keep your nose clean and be patient. It's who you hang with that will take you down.

IP Logged

Will I be Ineligible Forever?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X