Normal Topic Relevant/Irrelevant Polygraph (Read 2512 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box FBI_SA_appl
New User

Relevant/Irrelevant Polygraph
Apr 20th, 2005 at 8:59pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm confused in how to make sure one passes the relevant/irrelevant polygraph.   

I know the book says create strong reactions to random relevant questions .... Regardless of this, one may still have the same high reaction to one question on all tests.   

Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Relevant/Irrelevant Polygraph
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 8:29am
One cannot truly ensure that one will pass a polygraphic lie test, regardless of the format used. One can only do that which is possible to reduce the likelihood of "failing." With regard to the relevant/irrelevant technique, I have little in the way of suggestions beyond that which is already included in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. A mild sedative might be helpful in keeping overall reactivity down, and scopolamine, a compound used in some anti-nausea preparations for motion sickness, can help to inhibit palmar sweating. But medications may have side-effects, and I'm not in a position to dispense medical advice.

In your case, if you are granted a "re-test" by the FBI, the relevant/irrelevant technique may well be used. But regardless of the technique employed, your chances of "passing" are approximately zero. As I've mentioned elsewhere, the FBI polygraph unit cannot politically afford to reverse more than a handful of initial polygraph results.

Under these circumstances, I think it would be best to adopt the "complete honesty" approach outlined in Chapter 4 of TLBTLD. The FBI polygraph unit will understandably have a hard time believing that anyone who has had a false positive outcome will not have researched polygraphy prior to any proffered "re-test." Denying having done so is likely to be taken as a "sign of deception."

You could demonstrate your sincerity by openly acknowledging that you've visited AntiPolygraph.org and perhaps even mentioning that you've posted here. The polygrapher will no doubt go through the monkey drill of administering the "test" anyhow. He/she probably has little choice in the matter. But at this point you have little to lose by adopting the complete honesty approach. If I were in your shoes, that would be my choice.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Re: Relevant/Irrelevant Polygraph
Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 8:04pm
I had 4 FBI polygraphs(3 official) . they all used the exact same CQT format. before the 4th one I told my polygrapher I know the test inside and out and desribed to him the question format, how its scored and so on. 

What they do in that case(ie-you tell them u know the format) as they did in my 3rd (unoffical with retired FBI guy) and 4th was change the nature of the control questions and they DO NOT cover them with you ahead of time. Also, the controls arent the standard stuff like "have you ever lied to anyone". Rather they try to confuse you as to the nature of the question. for instance, on one test they "Yes-tested" me, so that the answers to many questions were worded to be reversed. for instance, instead of "do you exceed FBI guidelines for drug usage" (No), they might ask "are you within guidelines" (Yes) they also tried that with controls. one control question I got was "Do you fear failing this test" or "have you ever used illegal drugs"(since my drug history is that i took a valium once)

but the simple fact is, once you know the test, its very difficult for them to disguise the nature of a question. also, I think many people are like me in that they react to relevant questions because they know the question represents failure. the anxiety is caused by fear of failure, not guilt and produces the same physiological reations. if you dont use CMs (as I didnt), it becomes very diffcult to pass.

IP Logged

Relevant/Irrelevant Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X