Normal Topic Marine Corps Discharge?? (Read 4135 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Pman
New User

Marine Corps Discharge??
Apr 21st, 2005 at 7:20am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Ok here we go...
I have a Military background, I went to Military school and I enlisted in the Marines when I was 17.  I have always wanted to be in the Military and LE since I was a kid.
In my 2nd year of being in the Marine corps I tested dirty for Cocaine and got a General discharge.  I am working with the VA to get it changed to an Honerable discharge and since it was a mistake made ONCE when I was 19 and no other bad conduct record on my file it will be changed soon.
I has been the worst thing in my life to happen and has been eating me up in side.  Right now I am working full time, I have held a full time job since my discharge and I am in school to get my BA in Criminal Justice.  I should graduate when I am 26 so it will have been 7 years since the discharge.  Does this hurt my chances to have a career in LE.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Re: Marine Corps Discharge??
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 7:51am
One use, in the last seven years, and none since 21?  Sounds like you will be golden.  It is of course up to the particular agency to which you apply.  But, from what I have seen you have nothing to worry about in this respect.  Keep clean.

Brandon

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box OfficerWannabe
New User

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 8:04am
You might be okay "IF" you can get your discharge changed to honorable.  I don't know of any dept. that will consider an applicant with anything other than an honorable discharge, but I suppose there may be a few out there.

Also,  having used cocaine just once will DQ you with a lot of depts. and most PD's don't publish what their particular DQ criteria are.  However, there are many that will hire you.   

Good luck.

"There is truth and there is untruth"
George Orwell, novel 1984

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 8:24am
In addition to Officerwannabe's post,

I have also found that many departments do not make their past drug usage policies readily available.  However, I have found that a phone call to a recruiter can help you obtain such information.  Hope this helps.

-Brandon

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nunyun
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2005 at 6:23am
I have to agree Brandon.  I am also a Marine and I have too say that until the discharge is changed your background will always be following you around intil you change it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jumperLEO
New User

Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2005 at 2:09pm
Pman:
It can be done..I am living proof...same story with me, except I was army and it was extacy...I got a "general-under Honorable Conditions" discharge...havent even looked at how to go about changing it...any help you can provide me in taht arena would be greatly appreciated.

The thing I am worried about is going to a better/bigger agency....

I have been in a SHITHOLE for going on 3 years now, but I am a sworn LEO, and have a great record...

Young and dumb...hopefully you can overcome...good luck, brother.

Jumpers........HIT IT!!&&&&"You have the right to remain silent..."

IP Logged

Marine Corps Discharge??

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X