Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) FBI Polygraph Appeal (Read 26677 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box FBI_SA_appl
New User

FBI Polygraph Appeal
Apr 14th, 2005 at 6:52pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Okay so I just received my letter stating that I failed the FBI polygraph.   I would appreciate any suggestions on writing the appeal letter.
I have one pretty big problem ... I don't know the name of my examiner.  I was rushed in the examination room because my interview before had ran late.  We were only introduced by first name, which I forgot 1min later.
Any thoughts??
Does anyone know how long it will take to be granted a retest?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Re: FBI Polygraph Appeal
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2005 at 9:07pm
FBI SA Appl:

Don't stress out about not knowing your examiner's name. It's not really a big deal, just be sure to include the date/time and location of your polygraph in your letter. Simply state that you do not agree with the results because you told the truth and would like to appeal. *Make sure you specifically ASK for a retest.* You will not be offered one for sure unless you specifically request a second test. If the examiner treated you with a great deal of disrespect, you might want to include a few details about that as well. I honestly don't know if this helps or hurts. My coord. seemed concerned about the way I was treated by my examiner, but then again, I'm sure the poly dept. was waiting for me the second time around considering what I told.  Seems like a double-edged sword, I don't know.  I was called in for an interview about two months after receiving my letter in the mail. If you're granted a retest, a poly would be scheduled about a month to six weeks after that. Good luck to you.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2005 at 9:38pm
Polyfool, 

Who did you send your letter to?  The applicant coordinator?  The antipolygraph gives the name and address of Robert Mueller.  Or did you send to both?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2005 at 11:28pm
FBI SA Appl:

Send the letter to the person who signed your "not within acceptable parameters" letter.  It should be mailed to the  address on your letter (this should be a Wash., DC address.) There is actually a phone number you can call at Headquarters that provides a few details about the appeal process on voice mail (at least there was when I was an applicant just a few months ago when there was a large influx of job candidates.) My appl. coord. gave it to me, but I can't seem to find it. I didn't get it until after I'd sent my appeal letter. As long as you have the person's name/title listed on the envelope, it will reach them through the FBI mail system even if the address is incorrect. The Headquarters address is : 935 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Wash., DC 20535. Be sure to send your letter by certified mail. You don't need to send a letter to the director. Save that for later on.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2005 at 4:24am
send the letter to your applicant coordinator then get prepared to wait a few months. i just went through it, even tho i just found out today officially i failed my last test. did you get my appeal letter that i have sent to a few people?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2005 at 4:06pm
FBI SA Appl:

You'll bypass some BS by sending it to the person who sent your failed poly letter. An FBI employee called me and told me specifically to send the appeal letter to that person when I received the letter (I hadn't even received my letter before I contacted the agency.)

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2005 at 5:05pm
I think I'm going to send my response of appeal to the person who sent me the letter and CC: my applicant coordinator.  That way they both have it and tracks are covered.  I also have to request my file.  Has anyone gone though that process before?

Pillpopper: I hadn't received your copy of appeal, but really would love to look at it for reference.  I'll send you my email.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2005 at 5:20pm
I'd be interested to find out some info. myself on getting the file. I requested mine, was told it didn't exist (yeah, right) and then filed an appeal for it. It has been located and I'm waiting on the FBI to send it to me.  To request your file, go online to FBI.gov and there's a section on FOIPA requests, which is what you want. Fill out the form. Faxing it will save you some time over mailing it, but it may be a better idea to send it certified mail, so there is a record of your request.  Does anyone know about how long it takes to receive the file either through a request or an appeal?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2005 at 6:10pm
i got mine in about 8 weeks, but i sent the letter thru my congressman

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yatittle
Senior User

Reply #9 - Apr 15th, 2005 at 8:52pm
Yes, a congressional inquiry is the best way to get any information pertaining to security clearances or federal employment. The FBI or whatever agency will answer congress members in a heartbeat.

Good job on getting your information!
Randy

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #10 - Apr 16th, 2005 at 7:53am
Many years ago after I served in the Navy (NSGA) I applied to the NSA & CIA, at the time I thought that its what I really wanted. After the interview processes, I passed the NSA poly, but blew the CIA poly. THe NSA didn't offer me the job because, at that time I didn't have a degree or background (except my navy training) to get hired with, and blew there written exam. At CIA I blew the polygraph, or at least they said I did, to sum it up, all these agencies use one method or another to cull applicants. I believe that you were already slotted to fail, long before you even walked into that room with the examiner. I just wish I would have known about this info on this website before I did those poly's, would have made my time in the chair much easier.  Just my opinion and don't sweat the exam failure, there is more out there than just working as a federal stooge.  good luck   EJ

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NSAreject
Senior User

Reply #11 - Apr 17th, 2005 at 5:58pm
EosJupiter,

You are absolutely correct (as an ex-NSA employee,
of 10+ years), and that is why the poly cannot be
reviewed or challenged.  They will also screw you, if you
have any issues, and you either leave the Government, 
or change companies; they simply will not transfer your
SCI access.  Sounds rather passive-aggressive...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box KSLawDog
New User

Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2005 at 8:38pm
For all who are considering an FBI polygraph appeal:

Please be advised that the FBI does conduct routine polygraphs for certain positions, such as counterterrorism and perhaps others.  This was told to me by my applicant coordinator when was a candidate going through the same process.

I would encourage all false positives to request retests as I have done so myself.  (Not with any luck I may add)

However, should you get a retest and pass; you may want to ask yourself "Do I want to work for an organization who may conduct routine polygraphs?"

Keep in mind that if you falely fail a routine polygraph years down the road you career will probably be over.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #13 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 7:30am
All Concerned,

I dredged this one up because it best fits the point of the following article. The article gives the hiring numbers to application for FBI positions. Just from the shear volume and limited positions, I now do support the position even more so that the polygraph is used by the FBI to cull out undersireables and only pass the select few that they believe they want. Using the polygraph as a way to bypass EO hiring rules. The Article Link follows:

http://www.shrm.org/hrmagazine/articles/0606/0606pomeroy.asp

Article slice:

Some Unique Challenges 

“What is different in the government,” Packham says, “is a complexity not required in the private sector.” Because of laws and because of the size of the federal government, “time and pace” are slower than in private industry, he says. 

That’s particularly evident in the hiring process. It takes the FBI an average of 240 days to hire someone, he says. Although Packham found this frustrating at first, he has come to understand the reasons for proceeding slowly. 

Unlike most other government agencies, many FBI jobs demand top secret clearance, which requires polygraph tests and extensive, time-consuming background checks conducted by special agents. 

“If we had a problem finding employees, we’d make some changes,” Packham says. However, 400,000 candidates applied last year to fill about 1,800 jobs at the FBI. 

“People are attracted to the FBI because of a sense of the purpose and mission of the organization,” Packham says, and not because of money. Since Sept. 11, 2001, the agency has hired 30 percent more special agents, bringing the total number to 12,500. 

----

400,000 applications for 1800 jobs, no wonder they can screw over anyone they want. This out of the HR head of the FBI. THe source doesn't get any better than that.

FYI  & Regards
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2006 at 8:27am by EosJupiter »  

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #14 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 2:02pm
EosJupiter wrote on Jun 3rd, 2006 at 7:30am:
All Concerned,

I dredged this one up because it best fits the point of the following article. The article gives the hiring numbers to application for FBI positions. Just from the shear volume and limited positions, I now do support the position even more so that the polygraph is used by the FBI to cull out undersireables and only pass the select few that they believe they want. Using the polygraph as a way to bypass EO hiring rules.

EosJupiter,

Thanks for the article link! With 400,000 job seekers for 1,800 positions in 2005, the FBI is certainly not wanting for applicants. But these numbers don't in and of themselves support the notion that the polygraph is systematically being used to "cull out" applicants based on bias.

Keep in mind that by the time a special agent applicant is scheduled for a polygraph, he/she has already passed Phase I and Phase II testing[/url]. The latter consists of a structured interview and written exercise. It is at this point that applicants are most readily rejected for reasons that may be less than objective.

By the time a special agent applicant reports for the polygraph, a decision has already been made that he/she seems to be suitable for FBI hire. Of course, polygrapher bias may also come into play (see pp. 71-72 of the 4th edition of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. But I don't think the HR Magazine article supports the argument that the polygraph is routinely and purposefully being used in the way that you suggest.

Polygraphy's complete lack of scientific underpinnings, inherent bias against the truthful, and repeatedly demonstrated inability to detect national security threats are reason enough for the FBI and other agencies to scrap the polygraph.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

FBI Polygraph Appeal

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X