Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Forgot in Interview (Read 10844 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box spoon
New User

Forgot in Interview
Apr 14th, 2005 at 6:37am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I had my interview and they asked me ahead of time all the questions that would be asked on the polygraph and I answered them and then I signed the form that I was truthful.  I said that in a high school job I stole a pair of shorts from my employer but forgot to say that I stole a pair of shoes as well.  Can I come clean at the poly and not be disqualified?  Are they going to think that I lied and that I probably would lie again?  I just forgot and have since remembered and what do you think they will think of this.  Should I call and have the paperwork corrected or just come clean in the poly? The lady was a real jerk and will probably chew me out that I signed the form.  Can't stop thinking about it.
Thanks Senior Users for Your Guidance.   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Re: Forgot in Interview
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2005 at 6:58am
Spoon,

Most agencies require that applicants be 21 years of age or older prior to academy completion.  Is this the case for the agency where you have applied?  The reason for the question is that seldom is a graduate over 18 years of age.  This would put you at minimum three years from the theft.  You are not talking about a big ticket item either.

How far away is your poly "test?"  If you have some time (a few days) until you are interrogated you may want to contact your BI and inform him/her that you have remembered information that you would like to add to your packet.

I would not suggest waiting to make this admission until the time of your poly.  The examiner will smile (   Smiley  ) and reassure you that everything is going to be okay.  However, he/she will wallow in the victory of a futher admission (   Grin  ).  Then your integrity will be called into question which could certainly be disqualifying.

There are those members of this board that currently work in LE agencies.  Hopefully you will receive a response from one of them as well before your poly artist paints your caricature.

-Brandon

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box hwsternfan
User

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2005 at 8:57am
Spoon just remember what you stated in that pre-interview. 

Do not admit to anything you did not state in that pre interview during the actual poly exam. 

If they acuse you of lying during the exam...deny it....do not let them force you into ADMITTING anything!

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2005 at 5:51pm
You said just stick to what I said and tell them no more.  How hard is that without using countermeasures to beat the poly.  I think that I could say cold faced that I have not taken anything else but will that work. How good really is the polygraph and what do you think they would think if I called to fess up to extra info before the polygraph.  I think that it is all crappity smacked up that I feel that I have to tell the truth in the poly but if I do (I won’t be disqualified but) I am discredited. Over all I want the Job more than anything and need help.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box alice
User

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2005 at 6:26pm
My BI is super.  I just remembered a paw print taken for an internship in a lab..I just called him and he said...no problem Ms......  That part is done and it is not a problem.  Your BI needs to know you did not Intentionally omit anything...one cannot remember everything right at that moment.   

I had a week to prepare my BG packet and kept writing notes on a pad for myself...I forgot a school district that took prints so I could work as a teacher...no biggie..I remembered after I turned in sheet to HR gal and then told BI..He didn't mind..truthful omission..

just call the BI person and say..I wanted you to know that I remembered a......and wanted to be sure you knew..I had just forgotten..  No biggie..just say it straight...If the BI has a problem..he or she will tell you and if it is a big problem..will have it brought up in the poly...truly....

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box hwsternfan
User

Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2005 at 9:18am
When in doubt...DENY DENY DENY.   

NEVER ADMIT!

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2005 at 7:31am
Thanks everyone for the advise but I have come to realize that I am totally bugging out for nothing, because I know remember that I didn’t steal any shoes at all back in the day (my manager just discounted them for me legitimately).  Why does the thought of taking a polygraph sound so easy, but once it is me I get the feeling that something from my past is going to get me.  Even if it is totally innocent.  Hope my heart does not race from all the stress I am going through. “The truth will set you free” if you can remember it.  I guess I just have a problem with trusting a machine with my dreams.  Can’t wait just to get it over with.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anxietyguy
Very Senior User

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2005 at 9:47pm
I wouldn't worry about it, actually the question regarding theft from an employer is a "control question". You are expected to show a higher reaction on this question. The amount of information you give up is on you. If it were me i would not give up anything you didn't state on your B.I.. Use countermeasures and be in control of your test.

Anxiety

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Administrator
Administrator

Caveat Lector
Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2005 at 7:57am
darkcobra2005 wrote on Apr 19th, 2005 at 5:30am:
AS a polygraph examiner, I would not say that the theft from an employeer is a control question, it appears that it is a relevant question.  Might want to check with the examiner and just ask if that is a control.  I would also tell them that I had checked on this site and that is where you got the question from.  With examiners I know, the truth goes a long way. 

The above post by "darkcobra2005" originated from the same IP address as other recent disinformational posts by thevet2 and checking.

While it is refreshing that our new friend has ceased pretending not to be a polygrapher, the advice he/she proffers is intended to mislead and will likely result in adverse consequences for anyone following it. How appropriate that this polygrapher has chosen a venomous snake for his/her new user name.

AntiPolygraph.org Administrator
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Re: Caveat Lector
Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2005 at 1:25pm
DarkCobra2005 writes:

Quote:

AS a polygraph examiner, I would not say that the theft from an employeer is a control question, it appears that it is a relevant question.  Might want to check with the examiner and just ask if that is a control.  I would also tell them that I had checked on this site and that is where you got the question from.  With examiners I know, the truth goes a long way.

The “theft-from-employer” question is most definitely a control question if (1) It does not refer to the specific item(s)  stolen in a criminal specific-incident polygraph exam and/or it does not limit the theft of item(s) to some frequency of occurrence or to some minimum value ("items of value" or some minimum dollar value) in a screening application.  Again, in a general screening exam, a non-specific question (i.e., one that would include the isolated unreturned pencil, etc.) referencing theft from an employer will be a CONTROL question.

Under NO (repeat…NOOOOOOO)  circumstances should you ever discuss your knowledge or guesses about polygraph question types with your polygraph examiner, nor your knowledge of polygraph countermeasures and/or your sources of information.  Simply answer his/her questions requiring a  "yes" or "no" answer with the appropriate one-word answer with no elaboration or discussion.  Your polygraph examiner is not your friend.  Repeat....your polygraph examiner is not your friend, confidant, or religous advisor.  It is interesting that our admitted polygraph examiner does not quote the more oft stated maxim of "The truth shall set you free." Clearly, many who visit this site and the hundreds who have contacted me over the years in regards to polygraph exam results will testify that this is not true for their polygraph experience. Instead he tells us that "the truth goes a long way (in a polygraph suite)."  Is this a tongue-in-cheek snake-like reference to the stretching of the truth that has been reported by some examinees in connection with a minor (or no) admission on the part of said examinee and that winds up being a significant admission (and self serving statistic for the examiner) in the examiner's report?  Hmmm.......

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2005 at 3:41pm
You talk about lying, but isn't ironic that you lie for living? You lie to the people your examining, and then you sit here and expect us to believe that "theft from an employer is not a control question." Maybe to the naive you may scare, but most who read this site already know the lie(s) behind the lie detector.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #11 - Apr 19th, 2005 at 8:28pm
Quote:
Sorry about the Sacrafice Relevant question, that was on another post and the persons responding was not Drew.  So guess I missed telling the correct person the truth 

Nope, that was me.  I have read your above post regarding the sacrifice relevant question.

Quote:
makes me one of those old persons that makes errors.  Go with that one Drew

An error including belief in the abilities of a man and machine?

Quote:
Sure you have had your difficult times and sounds like you are angry at all polygraph examiners.  Remember that is your baggage and I don't care to carry it for you

Perhaps if you were mislabeled, you would be a bit bothered.  The general "anger" is not necessarily with the examiner(s), it is the practices which they employ and their unyielding faith placed in this process.  Faith which cannot be shaken even in the face of actual scientific fact.  You may not care to carry the baggage, however you have packed the bags and served the walking papers.  Now the polygraph community is upset because many want to serve them walking papers.  That is understandable.  No one likes to accept that the very foundation on which he has placed his belief crumbles beneath his feet.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #12 - Apr 20th, 2005 at 5:57am
Why not all examiners lie. That is what your ENTIRE profession is based on. Lie to the examiners during the pre-test and then accuse them of lying during the in-test. Wow how ironic, your a jester in a joker's world.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #13 - Apr 20th, 2005 at 6:14am
Quote:
I am sure if I got called untruthful when I was in fact truthful I would be outraged at the examiner and would put my efforts into correcting the error of that examiner's problem.  I would not however strike out at the entire industry for one examiners error. 

Outraged is a spot-on description.  I have initiated an attempt to correct the error.  However, the correction is one-sided as the agency applied to does not have much interest, if any, in correcting the wrong.

It is important to remember that first impressions are lasting.  In my profession, I have the ability to cast light or darkness on my co-pros.  What I do now can make the impression for the next (be it good or bad).  My profession, for example, has a few stereotypes with which it is associated.  The examiner I was interrogated by keyed on this fact and based a few questoins on it.  The questions were both detestful and unncessary.  Examiners should not take their "profession" lightly.  They are affecting lives, casting doubt and breaking dreams with incorrect decisions/opinions.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #14 - Apr 20th, 2005 at 7:21am
darkcobra2005 wrote on Apr 19th, 2005 at 2:48pm:
Drew,

You are out of touch with the polygraph community at this time.  Maybe at some point in time you had your marbles in one basket concerning polygraph, not now.  That was a relevant question, should you use your countermeasures on that question you would not be considered truthful!!!.  Suggest you go back to Polygraph School and find out what a control is and how it is worded.

Drew is not out of touch. Rather, you are a shameless liar too clever by half. The DoDPI Law Enforcement Pre-Employment Test examiner's guide includes among the comparison ("control") questions listed in Appendix D:

"Prior to -----, did you ever cheat your employer out of anything?"

Quote:
Regarding your statement of the polygraph examiner is not your friend, you are right.  We are not your friend we are there to get you through a polygraph examination and qualified for the department you are applying for.   

If our intent was to fail all examinees, we would not have any police officers working for the department.  Our task is to get you to tell the truth and get you on the job.

But "passing" a polygraph "test" is not dependent on whether or not one has told the truth. Rather, it depends on reacting more strongly to the "control" questions than to the relevant questions.

Quote:
Misinformation is deadly.  Get the facts before you respond.

This is truly ironic coming from you, who came to this message board for the express purpose of spreading misinformation, first with your posts as thevet2/checking and now under the new handle of "darkcobra2005." Evidently, AntiPolygraph.org's public documentation of the fraud that is polygraphy is deeply troubling to you. And indeed, it should be. As you go through the monkey drill of administering your "tests" (outlined step-by-step in the DoDPI LEPET examiner's guide), you're left in doubt as to whether the examinee has also read the script and sees through the deceptions on which your "test" depends.

Look at you! You are supposed to be a member of a profession that is "Dedicated to Truth" (American Polygraph Association motto). Yet here you are playing games by attempting to anonymously spread misinformation, and in the process falsely accusing Dr. Richardson of being "out of touch." Have you no shame?

When you first trained to become a polygraph examiner, did you ever think that you would be reduced to the kind of behavior that you have exhibited here? I don't think so.

If polygraphy were the reliable technique you wish it to be, you wouldn't be reduced to playing these deceptive games here. You may wish to follow the path recently chosen by FBI Special Agent Leroy Chan, a former polygraph examiner who had the intellectual honesty and moral courage to say enough is enough.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Forgot in Interview

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X