Normal Topic Questionabout Post-conviction Poly (Read 7848 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box flaguy
New User

Questionabout Post-conviction Poly
Apr 11th, 2005 at 6:43pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have served 9 years of a 15 year probation and am in the process of filing for early termination. I was convicted of a Lewd Act in 1990, served 6 years prison then placed on probation in 1996.  I was guilty of the charge and regret what I did. The problem now is that in light of ther recent events in Florida of some high profile cases involving sex offenders my probation officer informed me that I have to submit to polygraph every 6 month. Not that I have any thing to hide but I am worried that if for some reason the examiner deems me to have failed the test it would hurt my chances for early release off probation. I have complied with everything asked of me but now this worries me because of the ability of this test to be manipulated.
My questions are: Does anyone have experience with Fla probation issues?
2nd... If I apply the techniques spoke of here ..should I just go ahead and take the test.
Thanks for youir input.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Polygone
New User

Stop the poly.The life
you save will be your
own.

Re: Questionabout Post-conviction Poly
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2005 at 2:15am
I can't speak for Fla prob. But if there is anyway to get around the poly in your probation   -do it.
You can try the test,you said you have to take multiples so if you fail,then use the info at this site,or use it right off the start if you are too worried.
As a s.offdr they will use your history to try to fail you,they will use your character(the polygrapher)to influence their personal judgement when they score your test,so even those who lie can pass IF the polygrapher believes them to be in good character with their treatment.
They will even make accusations up in earnst of their fear that you are hidding occurances because the test doesn't tell them anything.
                                                  Polygone

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2005 at 5:57am
When I had about a year and a half to go, I told my PO I was going to apply for early termination. My counselor was all for it. Two weeks later, I'm on an ankle bracelet for a petty (waived off by my therapist; he didn't think it was noteworthy) infraction. There is absolutely no way you're going to get early termination. It would set a bad precedent. No doubt there are provisions in your state's laws for the process/procedure, but you can rest assured that the "informal" policy between PO and courts is that they NEVER approve it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box HomeSteader
New User

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2005 at 3:02am
Flaguy,

This may be of interest to you:

Go the site:

http://www.polygraph.org/Browser%20Files/Florida.htm

Scroll down to Statutory Provisions section and you will find the following:

Sex offenders may be required to undergo polygraph testing by a polygraph examiner trained specifically in the use of polygraph for monitoring of sex offenders as part of treatment program.  However, results of the polygraph examination may not be used at a hearing to prove a violation of supervision.  Fla. Stat. Ann. § 947.1405 (10)(b)(1).

Something you may wish to research further...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2005 at 7:57am
In Colorado, you get an "offer" to have probation extended - voluntarily on your part, of course - if you don't have two consecutive passes when your time is up. They say the polygraph can't be used for making those decisions, but the fact of the matter is authorities do. The Court already gives tacit approval of the polygraph - you have to participate in a program, and the program requires the polygraph testing.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box kingjames
New User

Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2005 at 4:58pm
I am a registered offender in NY.  I was told last night in my therapy group that I will have to submit to polygraphs twice a year.  This is a new development in group, not something initially established when I started this program.  This has to be some violation of civil liberties, but the word for the ACLU is that they can do pretty much what they want, especially if it fall under the 'therapy' umbrella.  Oh yeah, I also have to pay for the test, $350 each time.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box gelb disliker
Senior User

Reply #6 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 9:09am
[quote author=kingjames link=board=post;num=1113234230;start=0#5 date=12/20/05 at 08:58:58]  I was told last night in my therapy group that I will have to submit to polygraphs twice a year.  This is a new development in group, not something initially established when I started this program.  This has to be some violation of civil liberties, but the word for the ACLU is that they can do pretty much what they want, especially if it fall under the 'therapy' umbrella. 

KingJames,

under your rules of parole/probation, you are to adhere to the PO's demands.  although at times may seem unreasonable, this is in lieu of finishing off your term in jail/prison.   you may feel it is a violation of your civil liberties, but look at who you have offended.  the PO's want to keep an eye out so that you don't reoffend.  i don't agree using a polygraph exam to keep you on the straight and narrow, but what course of action would you recommend?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 1:54pm
This is not a condition from my PO but rather from the therapist I am required to see.  I understand that probation is a nice alternative to jail time, but I don't see how the polygraph fits into this sentence.  The polygraph is inadmissable in court, so what point is there in using it? (other than a scare tactic.)  I really have nothing to hide, I'm not breaking any rules of probation, but I think that it is unreasonable to give me and others this test and make us pay for it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box gelb disliker
Senior User

Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 5:17pm
KingJames,

should the state be burdened with the bill on your conviction?   so you are asking that we, the taxpayers should pay for your probationary/testing costs?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #9 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 6:53pm
No one should have to pay for this testing.  I think that it is irrelevant to treatment.  If a polygraph is inadmissable in court then it cannot be used for or against me.  It seems like a waste of everyone's time and money.

If they had a foolproof test, sign me up.

IP Logged

Questionabout Post-conviction Poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X