Normal Topic Upcoming Polygraph test (Read 5094 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box FoxxyV
New User

Upcoming Polygraph test
Apr 6th, 2005 at 1:06am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have a polygraph coming up and I wanted some advice.  I was wondering if anyone could clarify the breathing contermeasures for me.  It's a little confusing.   Kiss

IP Logged

New User

Re: Upcoming Polygraph test
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2005 at 1:44am
I re-read chapters three and four of the Lielbehind the lie detector, so I kind of get the breathing measures a little more  clearly now.  I am more inclined to use the first breathing countermeasure, is this a good idea?  Or do some of them work better than others.  ???

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2005 at 6:39am
FoxxyV,

If you have not done so you may want to review this thread:  http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=Proc;action=display;num=11....  It should help clear up your questions.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2005 at 7:03am
Note that the information presented in the message thread linked in Brandon's post above has been incorporated in the 4th edition of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, which was released on 28 March 2005. The first breathing reaction discussed in this new edition, blocking (holding one's breath for a few seconds after exhaling), might be to some extent be considered the "best" not only in that it is the easiest, but also because (and this is something we chose not get into in the book) when there are two breathing reactions (one to a relevant and one to a "control" question that are being compared) that appear to be about the same in magnitude, it is now the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute's practice to "break the tie" by giving greater weight to the respiratory reaction with the shortest line length. Because blocking flattens the line, it produces the reactions with the shortest line length. However, if one is maintaining one's baseline breathing during the asking of the relevant questions, there should be no "ties" to be broken, and respiration line length should not become a factor in scoring. For countermeasure purposes, any one of the five breathing reactions listed should do nicely.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2005 at 5:36pm
You guys are being soooo helpful in this.  I am kind of nervous about taking the test, but you all are making me feel alot better. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box infinite
New User

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 4:00am
to clarify..
you should hold your breath on the controls questions after telling a lie in the controls....

"did you ever tell a lie"...answer "NO"....hold breath for 5 sec...then exhale....repeat till next questions...

Is this the correct procedure

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 1:29pm
infinite wrote on Aug 27th, 2005 at 4:00am:
to clarify..
you should hold your breath on the controls questions after telling a lie in the controls....

"did you ever tell a lie"...answer "NO"....hold breath for 5 sec...then exhale....repeat till next questions...

Is this the correct procedure

No, you have it precisely wrong. If breath-holding is to be used as a countermeasure, one should exhale and wait for a few seconds before inhaling. This is clearly explained (illustration included) in Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (at p. 147 of the 4th edition).

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Eastwood
Senior User

Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 4:16am
Tell you what Foxy - go ahead and take the advice of these guys and when the examiner catches you, make the admission that you were deliberately manipulating your test.  They'll just love you - and you'll be out of a job. Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Johnn
Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 5:12am
Eastwood wrote on Aug 31st, 2005 at 4:16am:
Tell you what Foxy - go ahead and take the advice of these guys and when the examiner catches you, make the admission that you were deliberately manipulating your test.  They'll just love you - and you'll be out of a job. Grin

Eastwood, 
Why don't you just go troll somewhere else? Some people will be out of a job by TELLING THE TRUTH.

IP Logged

Upcoming Polygraph test

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X