Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Failed FBI poly, what happens next? (Read 42647 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box charlie9
New User

Re: Failed FBI poly, what happens next?
Reply #15 - May 15th, 2007 at 2:11pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
"To tell you the truth, if I got a letter saying they were withdrawing my employment offer and that I could appeal the decision and ask to be retested, I don't think it's worth going through all of that again just to work for the FBI.  I'm an honest and loyal person, and I know and others know that I'm a good person, so too heck with the FBI for putting anyone that's honest through all that again.   I think the Polygraph is a bunch of bull.  I have never believed in them, and whoever invented it needs to be spanked.  It's utterly ridiculous."

HALEY-
I WANT TO TELL YOU I AGREE WITH YOUR WORDS HERE.  LIKE MANY PEOPLE HERE, I HAVE HAD DREAMS FOR MANY YEARS TO BE A FBI SPECIAL AGENT.  I AM LAW STUDENT CURRENTLY, AND I TRIED TO GET A NON-PAID INTERNSHIP WITH THE FBI.  YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE POLYGRAPH PROCESS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE AND I EITHER FAILED THE DRUG PORTION OR IT WAS INCONCLUSIVE...I CAN'T REMEMBER WHICH.  I THINK IT WAS INCONCLUSIVE BECAUSE HE KEPT SAYING I WAS SHOWING A RESPONSE TO THOSE QUESTIONS.  REGARDLESS, THE ENTIRE PROCESS WAS A NIGHTMARE.  IT WAS INDEED MORE LIKE A CRIMINAL INTERROGATION THAN A JOB INTERVIEW.  I FELT BAD FOR AWHILE...THEN I STARTED THINKING ABOUT IT...AND HONESTLY, I WOULD RATHER NOT SPEND MY CAREER (AND MY LIFE) WORKING FOR AN AGENCY THAT TREATS PEOPLE THAT WAY.  IT MADE ME BITTER TOWARDS THE GOVERNMENT IN GENERAL, IN THAT WE HAVE AN AGENCY DESIGNED TO PROTECT AMERICANS, YET WE ALLOW THEM TO SUBMIT LOYAL US CITIZENS TO SUCH A SCREENING PROCESS.  IT IS UTTERLY RIDICULOUS IN MY OPINION.  I AM AS AMERICAN AS THEY COME, I HAVE NEVER USED DRUGS AND WOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT AND HARD-WORKING SPECIAL AGENT.  NOW, IN MY VIEWPOINT...IT IS THEIR LOSS. 

I HAVE TO SAY, THOUGH, BEING A LAW STUDENT, I REALLY FEEL LIKE FILING A LAWSUIT AGAINST THE FBI FOR VIOLATING MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO DUE PROCESS.  IN FACT...NO KIDDING...I JUST MIGHT.  THE ENTIRE PROCESS IS EGREGIOUS AND IT IMPINGES ON FUNDAMENTAL PRIVACY RIGHTS THAT SHOULD BE ENJOYED BY EVERY AMERICAN (WHILE NOTING THAT THE WORD 'PRIVACY' IS NO WHERE IN THE CONSTITUTION).

REGARDLESS, I AGREE WITH YOU AND THINK THE ENTIRE PROCESS IS A SHAM.  IN THE WORDS OF THOMAS JEFFERSON....THOSE WHO ARE WILLING TO SACRIFICE FREEDOM FOR SECURITY DESERVE NEITHER.  THE FBI SCREENING PROCESS IS AGAINST EVERYTHING I BELIEVE IN AND I WOULD RATHER BE CAUGHT DEAD THAN WORK FOR AN AGENCY THAT EMPLOYS SUCH DECEITFUL TACTICS.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box OMG!

Reply #16 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 10:44pm
G Scalabr wrote on Apr 1st, 2005 at 8:53am:
Quote:
He wanted to dictate the statement and basically wanted me to admit to using countermeasures, then he would schedule me for a retest.

From the tone of your post, it appears that you wisely did not fall for this ploy. When a polygraph operator requests that you make a written statement (especially one worded like you described), it’s not because he feels that things are inconclusive and he wants you to continue in the process with another operator. 

Instead, it is overwhelming likely that the examiner is planning to make a written report to disqualify you (for either deception or an arbitrary determination that you employed countermeasures). He is looking for a written confession to help solidify his case. You were smart not to give him one.

Nothing good that can come from making a written admission once a polygraph session has begun. NOTHING.

This is one of the most important pieces of advice that anyone facing a polygraph should know. Failing a polygraph “test” is extremely negative for one’s career potential in law enforcement. Still, having a failed polygraph on your record pales in comparison to having a folder sitting in FBI HQ file drawer with a signed statement from an FBI Special Agent stating that you admitted to him that you attempted to beat the pre-employment screening polygraph. Worse yet is when the above sheet of paper is immediately followed by a note in your handwriting admitting to the above.

It is our experience that applicants who fall for the polygrapher’s “I am here to help you get hired act—it is you and I against ‘headquarters’…” will sign almost anything after a reassuring statement informing the applicant that this is in his best interests. Regrettably, those who go along with this act are often caused irreparable damage.

This is exactly what happened to me and now I want to join the military but I don't know how it will affect me.  Please help. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Just an accountant
New User

Reply #17 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 1:32am
I wouldn't worry about it affecting your military service, if someone makes an accusation of "LIAR!" against you and it's only substantiated by some squiggles on paper and a polygrapher's "expert opinion", it's just that, an unsubstantiated accusation.  It just sounds much more freightening because it's coming from the FBI.

With that said, if you work in one of the military's intel units, it might, and I emphasize "might", be an issue.  There are units within the military, like JAG, that expressly prohibit the use of the poly against its members.  It's ultimately the Background that's the most important thing.

Besides, IMHO this polygraph fooey won't be around another 10 years from now anyway, at least as far as the Fed is concerned.  Besides being voodoo crap, some lawsuit I'm sure will be successful to knock it off.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #18 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 10:48pm
Just an accountant,

You write in part:

Quote:
...Besides, IMHO this polygraph fooey won't be around another 10 years from now anyway, at least as far as the Fed is concerned.  Besides being voodoo crap, some lawsuit I'm sure will be successful to knock it off....

Unfortunately, the fact that lie detection, as we know it, should rightfully have ended roughly a century ago as it began, is no real evidence of its likely demise in the next decade.  But I'm willing to play the role of eternal optimist with you...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #19 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 5:21pm

Dr Richardson

We don't see much information on this site about the century of scientific research into technologies to replace polygraph.  Could you enlighten us?

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Failed FBI poly, what happens next?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X