Normal Topic DOD polygraph (Read 7645 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box patrioteagle
New User

DOD polygraph
Mar 23rd, 2005 at 4:44pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have a background investigation (sound scope) currently being conducted on me for one of the DOD intelligence agencies.  They tell me they will have to do a polygraph.   

What type of polygraph does DOD do?  Are they as ruthless as the CIA with their questions?  Do they do the psych exams that I've heard the CIA does?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ruckover
User

Re: DOD polygraph
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2005 at 5:57pm
patrioteagle wrote on Mar 23rd, 2005 at 4:44pm:
I have a background investigation (sound scope) currently being conducted on me for one of the DOD intelligence agencies.  They tell me they will have to do a polygraph.  

What type of polygraph does DOD do?  Are they as ruthless as the CIA with their questions?  Do they do the psych exams that I've heard the CIA does?

First of all, I wouldn't say Charlie was all that ruthless.  My experience was very professional and straightforward. 

Second, the main difference between the two is that Charlie is a full-scope poly (covering every element of your lifestyle) whereas the DoD typically only utilizes a counter-intelligence (CI) poly (are you a risk for reasons of counter-intelligence). There was not a psychological exam per se, unlike Charlie.   

IP Logged

User

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2005 at 3:51am
Quote:
One caveat:

I hear that current military (and possibly former, not sure) only need to take CI polygraph.

Thank you for the catch about the different agency requirements.  For the DoD agency I applied to (not NSA), the poly was CI only, and it was for a TS/SCI clearance.  I am neither current nor ex-military.  

IP Logged

User

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2005 at 3:53am
Quote:
The above info is partially inaccurate.
If the DoD agency you are refering to is NSA/CSS, and you are applying for a position requiring a TS  /SCI clearance, be prepared for both a CI poly and a full-scope lifestyle poly.  Unlike the CIA, which divides this polygraph over two days (one for CI, one for lifestyle), The NSA will do it in one sitting.  The exam will be divided into several sections:

1) the veracity of your security forms

2) counter-intelligence

3) drug-use

4) any other illegal activity that you have engaged in, regardless if you were caught or not.

However, for the most part the test will be conducted in a professional manner.  Prior to being hooked up, you will know ahead of time what you will be asked and you will have gone over everything with the polygrapher.

Whether or not the polygraph is accurate or a valid means of granting security clearances aside, the above  description is what you can expect.

If you are applying for secret clearance (as opposed to top secret) with another DoD agency, you will not be required to take a poly.

hope this helps

Correction: I took the CIA poly 4 months ago.  Both the CI and lifestyle portions were during the same session (morning), just like the NSA.  The questions were along the lines of the themes you list above.

IP Logged

DOD polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X