Normal Topic Past Depression a Disqualifier? (Read 2814 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box secret_agent
New User

Past Depression a Disqualifier?
Mar 9th, 2005 at 8:20am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Also, like some others, I had some psych counseling and took some prescribed anti-depressants in the past, for depression (last time was 2 years ago). Is this disqualifying if I am now fully recovered? 

Do they perform routine searches for all mental health records? And do they read the transcripts of the sessions or do they just ask the doctors for a prognosis? 

Also, how would they find these records if an applicant doesn't disclose that she may have had counseling in the past? ---Really want this job but don't want the stigma to unfairly affect my chances...

Please no morality speeches here, but I would greatly appreciate it if someone had the facts on the above issues. I believe that I have a lot to offer and could help our country in its fight agst terrorism but don't want to be viewed thru prism of being a former pill-popper.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Re: Past Depression a Disqualifier?
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2005 at 2:48pm
I'm not sure if former psych counseling and anti-depressants would DQ you, but lying will. Even if they don't find your med records, agents will talk w/former and present coworkers, friends and ask them if they were aware any any Rx meds you had ever taken. You might be able to get a note from your doc saying that you have recovered after treatment. Sorry, don't know much about this as I have never undergone counseling. I do know you will be asked point blank in a personnel interview if you have received counseling and again before a polygraph, so be prepared to answer. Personally, I' d be honest. Hope this helps. Good luck.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Re: Past Depression a Disqualifier?
Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2005 at 12:37am
Dear Secret_Agent,

The FBI can be very tricky on this one.  You have had to sign release forms which basically allow them legally to get into ANY of your records including medical.  The FBI can cross reference your social security number (used by many health professionals for record and billing purposes) with huge medical data files (especially ones which are in any way supported by federal taxes which include most state systems).   

They could try and do a prescription drug search (especially controlled prescription drugs which a pharmacy must account for in special logs).   

If controversy is found, they will assume you are unqualified until you prove through acceptable medical evidence or proof that the issue is no longer a problem.

If they find out that you had any type of substance counseling in the past that was not disclosed there will be a significant possiblity that your application will be terminated due to lack of candor.

The system is very unforgiving.  I wish you luck in your decision to do what you feel is correct.

IP Logged

Past Depression a Disqualifier?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X