Normal Topic Top Secret Clearance Advice Needed! (Read 10777 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box johndo
New User

Top Secret Clearance Advice Needed!
Mar 3rd, 2005 at 7:04pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I joined the Armed Services and will need a Top Secret clearance for my MOS(job).  I filled out the SF-86 and did not list two vacations to foreign countries(my recruiter told me not to list any travel under the age 16.)  When I was about 12 I went to Mexico. 
However, I did not list travel to the Bahamas because I thought I was 15 at the time.
I now realize that I may have been 16 at the time,and I have a couple of questions:
1. Was my recruiter correct in instructing me to omit foreign travel before age 16?
2. What should I do if I think I may have been 16 when I went to the Bahamas?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Top Secret Clearance Advice Needed!
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 8:53pm
Standard Form 86 asks about foreign travel within the past seven years, without reference to one's age at the time:

http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF86.pdf

Thus, it would seem that your recruiter was mistaken about omitting travel before the age of 16.

You can contact your security officer (S-2) to correct the record. If you have not yet entered active duty, you could contact your recruiter to inquire about how to proceed.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box applicant123
New User

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 5:01am
I believe I was supposed to go back 7 or 10 years for my SF-86, but I didn't have to go back further than age 18 unless I was 18-19.  If I had been 18, I was supposed to go back 2 years until age 16.... if 19, to age 17, and if 20 until age 18.  After age twenty and up, I just had to go back to age 18.  Basically I had to go back at least two years but never before age sixteen for the forms.  Later on though, they asked me various questions about other things that I didn't have to put down before.  I saw a counselor when younger, but that didn't come up until the security interview.  They seemed to really understand why I hadn't said I had seen a counselor so I wouldn't sweat it.  Just contact the recruiter, Smiley.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box FutureCopIhope1337
New User

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 5:20am
Ask to correct the information at hand with the recruiter, he he denies, politely ask him to and be firm.

It is completely okay to go on vacation and you don't have to fear them saying, "OH YOU BEEN TO MEXICO? OH DEAR."

People in the Navy go pretty much all over the world during their service.

Eric

IP Logged

Top Secret Clearance Advice Needed!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X