Normal Topic Internet compromising the polygraph (Read 2063 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box unknownsoldier
New User

Internet compromising the polygraph
Mar 3rd, 2005 at 5:09am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I believe that the days of the polygraph as a screening tool for applicants are numbered. The internet and the readability and the accessibility of information pertaining to the exam specifically how it works and how it is administered has severely crippled the validity of the test. The mere fact that a subject can now easily determine the difference between control, irrelevant and relevant questions skews and compromises the test. 

Subjects who know the difference between the different types of questions can lead to a large number of false positives, reacting to relevant questions simply based on the fact that they know they are indeed relevant and not reacting to control questions because they understand they are ultimately not being judged by them. This is a serious problem.

I have to believe that this is leading to a large number of failed test or inconclusive results and that it is costing agencies more and more money. Ultimately someone will realize that we are not in the 60’s anymore, that the test and how it works is no longer a secret. In fact today I am sure that more and more people who are taking the exam or have taken it are more informed and aware of the test’s structure and how it works than those who are not.

I do believe that the polygraph can be a viable test but it depends on it’s secrecy and that the subject not know how it works for it’s validity. In today’s world where information about it is can be gathered within seconds it’s results, be they good or bad,  can simply not be trusted or used with any confidence. 

They are many studies, discussions, lawsuits, senate testimony’s ect, which encompass whether the test is simply valid or not but maybe the better question is whether the test is valid and reliable against those who are informed about it. I’m sure the answer is absolutely not and unfortunately the number of people being administered the test who are informed about it is steadily growing.   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyscam
Ex Member

Re: Internet compromising the polygraph
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 6:32am
While I agree with most of what you have written. I disagree with portions.  The title, "Internet compromising the polygraph" simply is not correct.  In fact, the informaton accessible through this site shines light on the unreliability and uselessness of this type of exam.  Polygraphy is compromised because it is scientifically flawed and has no ability to detect deception.

To quote a police officer I know, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse."  Therfore it would stand to reason that ignorance is an excuse at no time.  The simple existence of CMs is proof positive that poly does not, has not, and will not ever work, let alone the employment of such measures by examinees.

Your belief is my hope.  One day, hopefully soon, we will see an end to this "artistic interpretation of the truth."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Internet compromising the polygraph
Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 9:56am
Note that polygraphy has no grounding in the scientific method to begin with, even were we to assume that an examinee is ignorant of the procedure. It is not the case that the public availability of information on polygraph procedure (and countermeasures) is compromising an otherwise valid test. But such availability certainly does make the assumptions underlying CQT polygraphy even less tenable. 

The polygraph community is clearly concerned about this. Numerous examinees have reported being quizzed by their polygraphers about whether they have researched polygraphy on the Internet. And an instructor at the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute has even gone so far as to suggest that making information about polygraph countermeasures available to the public should be criminalized.

The number of informed persons being polygraphed is undoubtedly growing. Yet the polygraph community seems to be unwilling to publicly state how polygraphers should handle examinees who are honest enough to admit that they are familiar with polygraph procedure. Rather than acknowledging that such an admission invalidates the key assumptions behind the "test" and exempting such individuals from being "tested," it appears that the standard practice is to go ahead and polygraph the individual anyway. Some who have admitted to their knowledge of polygraph procedure during the "pre-test" phase report having been rewarded with a false accusation of countermeasure use during the "post-test" phase.

By now, a large and growing number of persons subject to pre-employment, periodic, and aperiodic polygraph screening must certainly know about "the lie behind the lie detector," and the polygraph charade must ultimately come to an end. But given the well esconced vested interested supporting continued polygraph screening, I fear it may take some well-publicized catastrophic failure of the polygraph to bring policymakers to their senses.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Internet compromising the polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X