Normal Topic Oversight for Poly Examiners (Read 2094 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyscam
Ex Member

Oversight for Poly Examiners
Feb 27th, 2005 at 7:06am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have recently been made aware that Arizona has absolutely no oversight for poly examiners.  No certification, licensure, required schooling, etc.  Absolutely no regulation whatsoever.  Is this the case in any other states?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Oversight for Poly Examiners
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 12:55pm
It seems that most states have no licensing requirement for polygraph operators. Considering that polygraphic lie detection lacks any scientific basis, I think it's appropriate that there should be no licensing requirement to practice it, just as one shouldn't need state certification to offer tarot card readings.

You'll find a list of states that do have licensing requirements for polygraphers, along with contact information for their licensing boards, on the American Polygraph Association website. (I don't know whether this list is comprehensive):

http://www.polygraph.org/statelicensing.htm

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyscam
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 10:30pm
Thank you for the information.  I looked at the APA website.  They list 28 states which require polygraph examiner licensure of some type.  That is 56% of the states in the Union.  With polygaph so widely used one would think examiners should be licensed or at minimum accountable to some type of oversight.  Without licensure these folks are free to interpret and conduct exams in any way they please.  Ridiculous.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 10:43pm
You are correct, and I was mistaken. It appears that more than 50% of the states (at least 28, as you correctly counted) do indeed have a polygraph licensing requirement.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Oversight for Poly Examiners

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X