Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Sphincter's policy...? (Read 8821 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box applicant123
New User

Sphincter's policy...?
Feb 24th, 2005 at 4:36am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
AnalSphincter,
     I've read a good number of your posts, and you've even responded to me before.  I'm willing to believe there at least some validity to the polygraph examination.  Now, I'm asking that you give your opinion on what to do the day of the exam to prepare yourself for such an 'ordeal.'  I intend to be perfectly truthful, but if you can provide any 'tips' on how to be during the exam., I would appreciate it.  Obviously, I'm not looking for countermeasure advice, but more like the following:

Don't move (they say this, but what does 'not moving' mean..... at all, I'd hate to get yelled at for not moving enough)
Just relax (the breathing is supposed to be relaxed and normal......... should I try to control my breathing to some degree, not to beats per minute but do a soothing pace?)

To me, I can't follow instructions to relax without focusing on how I'm breathing.

I guess what I'm really asking for is what should I do and act to put myself in the right frame of mind to take the examination and show that I am truely honest.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box AnalSphincter
Ex Member

Re: Sphincter's policy...?
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 4:44pm
Applicant, I believe that if you have nothing serious to hide with regard to the "relevant" issues, there is at least a 90% probability you'll pass the polygraph outright.  The other possibility is that you may come up inconclusive, which would probably lead to a bit of additonal testing.  As I've said several times on this forum, it takes quite a bit to cross the chasm between non-deceptive to deceptive, and the overwhelming majority of people who take a polygraph pass it.

One concern I have--and I'll admit that it's more of a suspicion than something I can prove--is that when scared little boys and girls come to a site like this and receive misguided information regarding "control" questions and "relevant" questions, it may cause them a problem on the exam.  I believe that when they try to inflate the responses to "control" issues, they may actually be making the "relevant" issues more significant to themselves, thereby amplifying them.  A bit of reverse psychology, perhaps, but something that concerns me.   I've noticed, during my short time on this forum, that a number of scared little boys and girls visit this site, take George's faulty advice, and are never heard from again.  I wouldn't be surprised if they used that faulty advice and then failed the polygraph or came up inconclusive.  Perhaps that would explain why they never come back to this forum.

As for my advice to you: Try to relax.  Don't mess with your own head.  Don't read anything into any question that isn't there.  Don't try silly countermeasures because the studies I have sited say that such countermeasures do nothing for the innocent examinee, and because you don't want the polygrapher to possibly discover your countermeausure attempts.  Be honest and open about any "relevant" issue you may have.  Follow directions.  You'll do fine.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PG111
User

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 8:26am
Anal wrote : overwhelming majority of people who take a polygraph pass it. Ask that of the 50% LAPD applicants who fail.
That is not the majority, you are slipping a little.

IP Logged

User

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 8:28am
Anal are you retired, because you seem to have a lot of time to spend on this board.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 8:55am
Not slipping at all.  There's no way in hell that 50% of LAPD applicants FAIL the exam.  Inconclusive, perhaps, if they have some lousy polygraphers.  Smiley

Retired?  When I want to be.  Think I'll retire now.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 9:29am
anythingformoney wrote on Feb 26th, 2005 at 8:55am:
...There's no way in hell that 50% of LAPD applicants FAIL the exam.  Inconclusive, perhaps, if they have some lousy polygraphers....

In 2002, Chief Bernard Parks stated that 50% of applicants were being eliminated by the polygraph:

http://antipolygraph.org/news/polygraph-news-008.shtml#leovy-gold-09-02-02

The FBI also has a pre-employment polygraph failure rate on the order of 50%:

http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=Policy;action=display;num=...

The Connecticut State Police have reported employment figures indicating a 60% pre-employment polygraph failure rate:

http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=Policy;action=display;num=...

And Jack Ogilvie, a polygraph examiner with the Phoenix Police Department, has also spoken of a 50% polygraph failure rate for applicants to his department, noting that such high failure rates are not atypical:

http://www.polygraphplace.com/articles/pre_employment_polygraph_testing.htm

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 6:58pm
That's just plain silly, George.  The LAPD link leads nowhere, and the others simply lead to posts on this forum.  I can read posts on this forum without having links to them.

If anyone is stating that 50% of all applicants are failing their department's polygraphs, it's probably administrative people calling inconclusives outright failures.  I've never heard of such a statistic except on this site.  For that to happen, either there would have to be some really off-the-wall techniques being used, or the applicant pool would have to come right out of San Quentin.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box would-becop775
New User

Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 12:25am
I do believe that they list inconclusives as failures, because any inconclusive result is enough to boot a prospective employee from the hiring process.  It's happened to me with LAPD, LA Sheriffs Dept, and Chino PD.  5 tests... 5 inconclusives... 3 jobs lost.  And other departments are hesitant to touch me because of my "failures" at other departments.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box would-becop775
New User

Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 12:28am
P.S.  Anal, having taken the aforementioned number of polys, you can be sure that I will be using the methods listed on this site, because I have nothing to lose.  I also have nothing to hide, but apparently that's not enough for the lemmings of law enforcement management who happen to think that polys are SO great.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 11:47am
anythingformoney wrote on Feb 26th, 2005 at 6:58pm:
That's just plain silly, George.  The LAPD link leads nowhere, and the others simply lead to posts on this forum.  I can read posts on this forum without having links to them.

While the Los Angeles Times article citing then LAPD chief Bernard Parks is no longer available on-line, the link I provided includes the relevant citation. There is nothing "silly" about it. The two links to posts on this forum provide information derived, respectively, from the FBI and the Connecticut State Police, acknowledging high polygraph failure rates. Your suggestion that this information should somehow be disregarded because it is cited in posts on this message board is truly bizarre. Moreover, the fourth link, indicating polygraph failure rates in the neighborhood of 50%, is an article by a polygraph examiner that is posted on a pro-polygraph website. Your glib dismissal of all this compelling evidence without due consideration boggles the mind.

Quote:
If anyone is stating that 50% of all applicants are failing their department's polygraphs, it's probably administrative people calling inconclusives outright failures.  I've never heard of such a statistic except on this site.  For that to happen, either there would have to be some really off-the-wall techniques being used, or the applicant pool would have to come right out of San Quentin.

For the applicant who is disqualified because of polygraph results, it makes little difference whether the polygraph operator scored the charts as failing outright or merely inconclusive. If you truly had not heard of 50% pre-employment polygraph failure rates in law enforcement hiring before, then you should have done some fact-checking.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 6:50pm
Well, I'm glad you said it makes "little difference" whether the polygraph result is inconclusive or outright failure, George.  That simply illustrates what I've been saying all along--it takes a lot to jump the chasm between inconclusive results and deceptive results.  I personally don't know any departments or agencies that would disqualify someone solely on the basis of an inconclusive polygraph result.  An inconclusive result means nothing to a polygrapher--it's not a yay or a nay with regard to truthfulness or deceptiveness.  In fact, many departments and agencies, when faced with an inconclusive polygraph result go to a tier 2 polygraph exam in an attempt to clear up the inconclusive, which almost always either pushes the examinee to pass the exam or simply leads to another inconclusive, after which no further testing is done.

Again, I REPEAT, it takes a lot to outright FAIL a polygraph exam.  Don't equate inconclusive results with failure on the part of the examinee.  On the contrary, I would call inconclusive results a failure on the part of the examiner to produce conclusive results.

Any department or agency that would disqualify any applicant based solely on an inconclusive polygraph exam--or EVEN A DECEPTIVE RESULT--is putting too much emphasis on the polygraph.  The polygraph is very good at what it was designed to do, regardless of what your regurgitated views are, George.  However, the polygraph should never be more than just one piece of the screening process.  Trust me when I say that I know of many, many applicants whose polygraph exams ended with inconclusive results who are on the job with their chosen departments and agencies today.

I don't know what your situation was, George.  Did you outright FAIL your exam, or was it inconclusive?  That would say a lot about your situation and possibly provide further evidence of what my suspicions are with regard to failed polygraph examinees.

IP Logged

User

Reply #11 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 7:30pm
Anal Wrote: Any department or agency that would disqualify any applicant based solely on an inconclusive polygraph exam--or EVEN A DECEPTIVE RESULT--is putting too much emphasis on the polygraph.  The polygraph is very good at what it was designed to do, regardless of what your regurgitated views are, George.  However, the polygraph should never be more than just one piece of the screening process.  Trust me when I say that I know of many, many applicants whose polygraph exams ended with inconclusive results who are on the job with their chosen departments and agencies today. 

I agree with most of this statement, if all departments were this way the polygraph would not have such a bad rap.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #12 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 8:17pm
anythingformoney wrote on Feb 27th, 2005 at 6:50pm:
Well, I'm glad you said it makes "little difference" whether the polygraph result is inconclusive or outright failure, George.  That simply illustrates what I've been saying all along--it takes a lot to jump the chasm between inconclusive results and deceptive results.

I don't see how my point that it makes little difference to the applicant who is disqualified based on polygraph results whether or not his/her polygraph charts were scored as "deception indicated" or "inconclusive" in any way "llustrates" your claim that it "takes a lot to jump the chasm between inconclusive results and deceptive results." Please explain.

Quote:
I personally don't know any departments or agencies that would disqualify someone solely on the basis of an inconclusive polygraph result.  An inconclusive result means nothing to a polygrapher--it's not a yay or a nay with regard to truthfulness or deceptiveness.  In fact, many departments and agencies, when faced with an inconclusive polygraph result go to a tier 2 polygraph exam in an attempt to clear up the inconclusive, which almost always either pushes the examinee to pass the exam or simply leads to another inconclusive, after which no further testing is done.

For such agencies as the FBI, passing the polygraph is a pre-requisite for employment. Failure to pass is grounds for disqualification. And again, the failure-to-pass ratio for FBI special agent applicants is presently on the order of 50%. This flies in the face of your oft-repeated assertion that "the overwhelming majority of examinees [for law enforcement hiring] easily pass the polygraph."

Quote:
Again, I REPEAT, it takes a lot to outright FAIL a polygraph exam.  Don't equate inconclusive results with failure on the part of the examinee.  On the contrary, I would call inconclusive results a failure on the part of the examiner to produce conclusive results.

I offer, as I did in another thread, that all it takes for a truthful person to wrongly "fail" is for him/her to be more concerned about the consequences of not being believed with regard to the relevant questions than he/she is with regard to the more general and less serious "control" questions.

Quote:
Any department or agency that would disqualify any applicant based solely on an inconclusive polygraph exam--or EVEN A DECEPTIVE RESULT--is putting too much emphasis on the polygraph.

I fully agree with your assessment that any department or agency that would disqualify an applicant based solely on an inconclusive or even a "deceptive" result is putting too much emphasis on the polygraph. Yet such reliance on the polygraph seems to be the rule rather than the exception amongst agencies with pre-employment polygraph programs. It is most certainly the rule with regard to such federal agencies.

Quote:
The polygraph is very good at what it was designed to do, regardless of what your regurgitated views are, George.

I could agree with you that the polygraph has utility as an interrogational prop (with examinees who don't understand that it's a fraud), but as a scientific test for deception it falls flat. On this point there is broad consensus amongst scientists.

Quote:
However, the polygraph should never be more than just one piece of the screening process.

The fact of the matter is that many applicants for federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies are being disqualified based on polygraph results alone.

Quote:
Trust me when I say that I know of many, many applicants whose polygraph exams ended with inconclusive results who are on the job with their chosen departments and agencies today.

Your history of forging posts on this message board makes it difficult to take your word at face value.

Quote:
I don't know what your situation was, George.  Did you outright FAIL your exam, or was it inconclusive? That would say a lot about your situation and possibly provide further evidence of what my suspicions are with regard to failed polygraph examinees.

As I noted in my public statement, "Too Hot of a Potato: A Citizen Soldier's Encounter With the Polygraph," my FBI HQ file states that I "failed" all of the relevant questions.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 4:30am
See my post in the "Upcoming Polygraph in South Florida" thread.  This is becoming very redundant.

Also, is the term "community computer" so foreign to you, George?  You sure stick like a leech to anything you make up your mind about, right or wrong, I'll give you that.  One thing that resulted from Loopy is that ever since then I haven't made a single post from that community computer.  I guess when you can't really penetrate my credibility through reason you must resort to pretexts.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #14 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 6:16am
anythingformoney wrote on Feb 28th, 2005 at 4:30am:
Also, is the term "community computer" so foreign to you, George?  You sure stick like a leech to anything you make up your mind about, right or wrong, I'll give you that.  One thing that resulted from Loopy is that ever since then I haven't made a single post from that community computer. I guess when you can't really penetrate my credibility through reason you must resort to pretexts.

Come now A.S., You posted a response to Loopy exactly eight minutes after "Loopy's" post. That response contained approx 200 words.

Subsequently, you posted a response to another "Loopy" post 7 minutes later. Not surprisingly, it was somewhat shorter than 200 words.

Grin

marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Sphincter's policy...?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X