Normal Topic stoners vs. alchies (Read 6360 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sapper420
New User

stoners vs. alchies
Feb 23rd, 2005 at 9:00am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I smoke weed.  Why?  Because it dosen't turn me into an ass like beer does.  So am I SOL?  Can I pass my poly or should I throw in the towel?  Kinda erks me that alcoholics can get in but I have to lie.  But anywho... Tips, tricks, and smart ass remarks are all welcome.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anxietyguy
Very Senior User

Re: stoners vs. alchies
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2005 at 4:44pm
You don't belong in LE if you are still smoking weed. Sorry but in our culture "weed" is taboo. Yes you can make the argument that alcohol is more dangerous, fact is that marijuana is illegal and you must respect that in LE even if you disagree with it. Even if you do pass the poly, how you going to pass the urine test?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 40smith
New User

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2005 at 5:44pm
I am going to have to agree with Anxietyguy.
No way.
Throw in the towel.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2005 at 6:22pm
Hmmm... so because I smoke weed you all think I'm unfit for LE duty?  That's odd how society can define moral boundaries even when common sence would lead us in a different direction.  And who in society has such a problem with marijuana that they would stigmatize an individual for his recreational use of marijuana?  It just never ceases to amaze me how many people endanger themselfs and other with alcohol and society just smiles and says, "Ohh, he was just drunk."  Personally, I would ten times over rather have a stoner riding shotgun than an alchy.  And if the local PD dosen't want me then I can always go back to shooting bad guys overseas like I use to.  And anxiety, as for your question on the UA, I can pass that no problem.  In the physical condition that I am in if I stop for a week and run a few miles a day I'll be good as new mate.  Now, while I may not agree with anxiety and 40 I do aprreciate their responce and postition.  However, I will still apply to the local PD.  I prefer to be judged on past perfomance and expected potential not on personal choices.  Discriminating against marijuana users to me is hypocritical.  But that's just my opinion.  Lol, and now it's time for all the rebutals.  This could be fun...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box BlackJhack
User

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2005 at 11:32pm
It isn't because you smoke weed that you are unfit to be an LE officer, it is because you break the law. Why do you think they have such an extensive process to become an LE officer? They want people that are trustworthy and honest, people that they feel are mature and will uphold all laws, no matter how minor the general public may think they are. That is what seperates you from an LE officer. I admit that bad cops always slip through the process, but LE agencies try to combat that with thorough backgrounds, psychs, etc. I don't think you are ready to be in LE, because you disagree with some of our most basic laws, and you don't even understand why. 
Maybe instead of trying to get a job in LE you can apply to be security at Bob Marley concerts, I'm sure they would be more than happy to have you. Wink

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 1:54am
BlackJhack wrote on Feb 23rd, 2005 at 11:32pm:
I don't think you are ready to be in LE, because you disagree with some of our most basic laws, and you don't even understand why. 
Maybe instead of trying to get a job in LE you can apply to be security at Bob Marley concerts, I'm sure they would be more than happy to have you. Wink

So tell me dear BlackJhack, what other laws do I disagree with?  Lol, Bob Marley huh?  That's funny.  But isn't he dead?  And aside from that I think I'm a little over qualified to be a security gaurd but thanks for the chuckle.  So let's go gents, either help me out by giving me tips or try and talk me out of it.  But the one thing I can assure you of is this, when the proverbial shit hits the fan any officer would love to have me as his partner. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 7:29am
sapper420 wrote on Feb 24th, 2005 at 1:54am:

So tell me dear BlackJhack, what other laws do I disagree with?  Lol, Bob Marley huh?  That's funny.  But isn't he dead?  And aside from that I think I'm a little over qualified to be a security gaurd but thanks for the chuckle.  So let's go gents, either help me out by giving me tips or try and talk me out of it.  But the one thing I can assure you of is this, when the proverbial shit hits the fan any officer would love to have me as his partner. Wink

While we could argue the marijuana vs alcohol issue all day, the fact of the matter is that you continue to break the law by purchasing marijuana.  It is that simple, you are a liability and the fact that you don't recognize this fact is most bothersome.   

How exactly are you going to effect an arrest on a drug dealer who in the past has actually sold you drugs?  Now that is hypocritical!  Worst yet it can compromise your integrity and ability to properly do your job.

Face it, you are not cut out to be in Law Enforcement, the simple fact that you can somehow delude yourself into thinking that it is "ok" for you to smoke marijuana and continue to break the law explains this.

For the record, past use of even current use of alcohol is accepted by law enforcement agencies because it is currently LEGAL.  But don't for a moment think that we accept alcoholics.  Most agencies actually conduct a breathalizer the day of the drug screen. (anyone dumb enough to get plastered the day of or before their medical, is more than likely dumb enough to get plastered before their shift begins).  If the background reveals that the candidate has a problem with drinking then he is NOT going to get hired.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

User

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 2:50am
Well, sapper, I just met you, but you purchase, possess, and use an illegal substance. Those are 3 basic laws that you don't uphold. If you have ever shared your drugs with a friend you are now guilty of distribution. I am glad that you are here speaking of "moral boundaries", seeing as how you are here to talk about lying to the agency you are going to test for. How can you talk about "moral boundaries" and then ask if you should lie all in the same breath? It doesn't sound like you have a whole lot of boundaries, and since you don't, I don't believe that you are cut out to be a cop.
     You also say that you are over-qualified to be security, well, you are obviously not qualified to work in LE, because if you went in and told the truth they would not hire you. I think you should re-evaluate what it is that you are trying to accomplish. I know that if I had a partner that had lied to get into the same department that I had worked my ass off to get into , I would trust him about as far as I could throw him.
     I hear Wal-mart security is looking for a few brave soldiers, son...... Wink 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box coxion
New User

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 4:36am
While I agree that anyone that continually uses marijuana past their teens should not be allowed to be an LE officer.  But on the other hand I don't think that haveing done marijuana in high school should be disqualifying.  While I know it won't always DQ you, if you did it habitually or even just frequently for a period of time it more than likely will get you DQ'd.  I say this because kids in highschool drink and smoke tobacco while being under the age habitually, thus making it an illegal act. So my question would be why is smoking marijuana so much worse.

I am against the use of drugs, but I too was young and dumb and did my fair share of marijuana as well as tried mushrooms once.  I was DQ'd from my local police department, but anyone that drank or smoked tobacco under the age is not.  This I personally don't understand.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 4:43am
Well for one, each department has its own standards as to how much of a drug one could have used and specifically how long ago this was.  To be honest I don't think it was your marijuana smoking that got you DQ'd, but the mushroom use since they are a hallucinogen.   

IF a particualr department DQ's you then look for one that will accept your drug usage and apply there.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box coxion
New User

Reply #10 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 6:55am
Dimas, 

Your probably more than right, I know I screwed myself over on that one.  But I still hear about people being DQ'd for having been a habitual smoker.

IP Logged

User

Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 7:58pm
Coxion, as dimas stated, each department has it's own set of policies. As far as I understand, some departments (LAPD, LASO) have a certain "cut off", to which they will disqualify, depending on the amount of times you have smoked marijuana. No department that I know of will release the number of times the "cut off" is, but if you go over their set number, you are DQ'd. 
More departments are "forgiving" on the "experimentation" of marijuana and some other drugs, but if you show a pattern of habitual use, the department(s) may see this as a potential problem, and we all know that all departments are trying to avoid any problems with employees, because mistakes are very costly to the city and the department.
Again, I have to agree with dimas. Some departments are more forgiving of certain "sins". Don't give up, do some research, figure out if there is another department you would like to work for, call a recruiter, explain your situation and go for it. All they can do is say "No".  Wink

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 9:00pm
coxion wrote on Feb 25th, 2005 at 6:55am:
Dimas, 

Your probably more than right, I know I screwed myself over on that one.  But I still hear about people being DQ'd for having been a habitual smoker.

If you mean habitual marijuana smoker, well that is simply a statement of a person's continued intent to disregard laws and break them.  People can indeed change, but as a department and a supervisor am I willing to bet my job on their having changed for the better?  Heck NO!  A lawsuit resulting from a bad cop can range from a minimum of 60,000 dolllars to a million dollar loss for the city, county or state department.  This money has to come from somewhere and that usually means cuts in equipment, staffing and all the necessary items to run an efficient department.   

Now if you mean a habitual smoker of tobacco, this is a recent thing I have seen come up in several departments where they will not take a candidate if he is a smoker.  I believe I have seen this more in Fire than LE departments.  I really have no idea what the pushing factor behind this is except for long term health concerns.

IP Logged

stoners vs. alchies

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X