Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 38 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) MMPI 2 First 75 Questions out of 567 Psych Exam (Read 1097549 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box psych1
Senior User

Re: MMPI 2 First 75 Questions out of 567 Psych Exam
Reply #135 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 1:00am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
[quote author=425D5203010101310 link=1109032158/131#131 date=1224376956]lol @ psych1 (btw psych i take it the one that asks if i was closer to my father than my mother isnt face value? because i sure mr. bow tie wont let me answer it like i did on here. Or do they assume that i like them even? or are they testing if you are all snap into a slim jim macho? see what i mean, how can you tell if there is 50 different ways to percieve this as a test taker unless you can explain each answer? wouldnt the candidate deserve that?

Off hand, I have no idea what scale that question is keyed on. Its just whatever clinicall criterion group endorsed it at a rate so above the norm sample that that item becomes a discriminator of the clinical population. I don't know what group endorsed that over the norm group, but that is the beauty of it.  Neither do you. It statistically empirical, and its hard to fake the test, because you don't know which way the deviant response is, or what the item even represents. 

But the validity scales are really what is used to assess for underreporting or overreporting of psychopathlogy.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box lawlizard
User

Reply #136 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 1:11am
LMAO you just proved my point, you said i dont know what is deviant? here comes a rant, and this ends my wonders of this pos test. How the hell does some douche sitting in he chair beside me know if my father or my mom beat me? or maybe i liek the equal? or maybe dad hates me and i just liked my more? or vice versa? i mean dude with that statement this test lost a lot of credit with me. They sure as hell wont ask why, so who the F are they to judge my answer to that question? now even knowing why? sure you will say all this stuff but man he truth is in the pudding homie. No data or big words needed. 

It is simply setting you up for failure basing your answers with a statistic, not treating you as an individual, just the minority or the majority. LOl this shit is too funny. On a side note my aunt replied and she has been teach psych for years.. shes said the test has to many loose ends and faults.

IP Logged

User

Reply #137 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 1:18am
a post i found interesting

Another interesting thing about the MMPI is that it was never meant to be a "Psychiatrist in a box" as it is being used in nuclear power.  It was simply a clinical assessment tool to be used by mental health professionals in assessing, and diagnosing general disorders in new patients.
Once you have taken it once, it is no longer a valuable tool for this.  It is even LESS valuable for the purpose that nukes have given it.  I even have a way to get the 567 questions done in less than 45 minutes and still not have to talk to the shrink.  You read every question, but only mark the "true" answers on the scan-tron sheet.  There are only about 50 or so of those.  If you are very careful about marking the yesses on the right number, then you can just go through and fill in the unanswered questions on the sheet by filling in the "false" oval.  When you turn in your package, you will get a lot of funny looks and comments about how you couldn't have done it right, but it works.  Just don't goof up and mark a "true" on the wrong line or accidently skip a line.  Even if you do, it is no big deal, since it is all true/false and mostly false. All that could happen is that two answers get switched.  It's not like the multiple choice where one line can screw up the rest of the test.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #138 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 1:18am
lawlizard wrote on Oct 19th, 2008 at 1:11am:
LMAO you just proved my point, you said i dont know what is deviant? here comes a rant, and this ends my wonders of this pos test. How the hell does some douche sitting in he chair beside me know if my father or my mom beat me? or maybe i liek the equal? or maybe dad hates me and i just liked my more? or vice versa? i mean dude with that statement this test lost a lot of credit with me. They sure as hell wont ask why, so who the F are they to judge my answer to that question? now even knowing why? sure you will say all this stuff but man he truth is in the pudding homie. No data or big words needed. 

It is simply setting you up for failure basing your answers with a statistic, not treating you as an individual, just the minority or the majority. LOl this shit is too funny. On a side note my aunt replied and she has been teach psych for years.. shes said the test has to many loose ends and faults.

Well, Im not here to debate. Just to inform. I understand that the methods and the stats are difficult to understand, and I prefaced all this with the notion that one needs to be well educated on the multivariate stats and taxometric approaches to psychaitric diagnosis.  Which you are obviously not, not would I expect you to be. Again, this is why the test is designed and interpreted by psychologists, not the lay public.

IP Logged

User

Reply #139 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 1:23am
lol see you had all the answers b4, but as soon as i make a valid point you toss the same answer out, my simple question is, is it possible to tell 100% shit even 50 at that what a person is thinking when they answer? no exactly.. thats why so many ppl are trying to get rid of it, again your baseline or whatever is throwing good ppl in with your majority finding over time, sure statistics and data is good, but you better be damn sure its right because they are f'in with ppls life. Again this is not a personal shot at you, but if the test was 100
% correct there wouldnt be an appeal option in almost every area due to the faults and loose ends of the test.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #140 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 1:25am
psych1 wrote on Oct 19th, 2008 at 1:18am:
lawlizard wrote on Oct 19th, 2008 at 1:11am:

Well, Im not here to debate. Just to inform. I understand that the methods and the stats are difficult to understand, and I prefaced all this with the notion that one needs to be well educated on the multivariate stats and taxometric approaches to psychaitric diagnosis.  Which you are obviously not, not would I expect you to be. Again, this is why the test is designed and interpreted by psychologists, not the lay public. 

For the last post, I would simply recommend to be cautious about trusting the validity of information posted online. If people would prefer to discount the test and invalidated their profiles, that is well within their right. Although your hirer might not like it when the clinician reports this this was your preferred method.  This would be my 2 cents. 

100% sensitivity and specificity?  I am unaware of any medical test that can reach that threshold, much less a test measuring psychological constructs. This is simply not possible, so i would argue that this is unreasonable expectation when dealing with this subject matter. And lastly, I think I have made the point before that the MMPI is not meant to be a diagnostic instrument in and of itself.  Simply one piece of contributory informations for the clinical puzzle.  Nothing trumps the information you gather in the clincial interview.  The MMPI supplements and adds to this process, its does not overrule it.

IP Logged

User

Reply #141 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 1:31am
he or she wouldnt know, they could be my answeres right? and you can respond to my last statement yes? i think i have a solid arguement. you might have missed it, if so its cool. And no i thought it was a good read, i dont think i am going to base my answers on that, but i thinkk i will use that strategy when asnwering .. so all the true first, well the ones that are for sure. After all, i even did that in HS, do the easy ones first and such, so that you can concentrate on the others , or rule them out .

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #142 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 1:40am
lawlizard wrote on Oct 19th, 2008 at 1:31am:
he or she wouldnt know, they could be my answeres right? and you can respond to my last statement yes? i think i have a solid arguement. you might have missed it, if so its cool. And no i thought it was a good read, i dont think i am going to base my answers on that, but i thinkk i will use that strategy when asnwering .. so all the true first, well the ones that are for sure. After all, i even did that in HS, do the easy ones first and such, so that you can concentrate on the others , or rule them out .

I suppose that would be a good method if your department didnt want any valid information from it.  Certain validity scales would be through the roof and your profile would be invalid and it would be obvious what you are doing. The clinician will report this, but if the department doesn't care, then I suppose its all good. However, it has been my experience that hirers obviously like to have valid profiles so they can get the information they want.  If they didn't want it, they wouldn't have you take it in the first place, right? Nevertheless, if this is your preferred method, go ahead. If your really interested in the MMPI, I suppose you'll have to get a book to read about all the validity scales, cause I cant disclose or discuss them and how they work. Sorry.
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2008 at 4:09am by psych1 »  

IP Logged

User

Reply #143 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 12:47pm
well in fact it would be valid, i just said i would simply answer all my true first. Which would be the same answer even if i were to go in order...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Carl

Reply #144 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 5:01pm
The MMPI-2 includes a personality scale that measures traditional stereotypic masculine and feminine interests, but it is not used to measure psychopathology.  So if you like hunting or collecting stamps, on the MMPI-2 it has no relevance for measuring psychological disturbance.

IP Logged

User

Reply #145 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 5:30pm
ic, well i thought that questions like whats your favorite past time to watch ie baseball,football,tennis, or boxing.. you pick boxing and it shows you like and or might be violent.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jen

Reply #146 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 6:08pm
I understand that the MMPI is not available online; what I am looking for is questions similar to this test. I have to create a survey for a research class and this is the test that best covers every personality disorder in one test. Anyone have any suggestions? (I need it A.S.A.P. ~ something I can get online).

IP Logged

User

Reply #147 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 6:18pm
nothing that i know of, but i did post my scores on a previous online personality test if you want to use that site lookup the name of it. As far as online, we just have the 75 questions from the test on here, i have around 30 more i have compiled also.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #148 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 9:51pm
Quote:
I understand that the MMPI is not available online; what I am looking for is questions similar to this test. I have to create a survey for a research class and this is the test that best covers every personality disorder in one test. Anyone have any suggestions? (I need it A.S.A.P. ~ something I can get online).

Actually the MMPI does not assess personality disorders. Only major Axis I pathology. The test most frequently used for helping diagnose personality disorders is the Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory (MCMI-III).  It is not available online, because as with almost all instruments, it copyrighted. I'm not sure if you are doing this in conjunction with a professor in a psych department or as part of some formal research project.  If you are, I'm sure your adviser/professor has access to the test, or will at least can order it. However, caution is warranted in using the MCMI in non-clinical populations, as it was developed and normed on clinical pops. Therefore, it tends to overestimate pathology in normal samples.

If you would like a relatively brief descriptive measure of personality (but NOT personality pathology) apparently the NEO-PI-R is available online. I think the 16-PF is as well.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jean

Reply #149 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 3:36am
Thank you Iraqvet04, I agree with you. Others have been tough on me though

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 38
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
MMPI 2 First 75 Questions out of 567 Psych Exam

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X