Normal Topic medical reasons (Read 7877 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box confused3
New User

medical reasons
Feb 19th, 2005 at 6:24am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
My question is are there any medical reason a person can't take the CSVA. I know that epileptics can't take a polygragh test. I was wonder whether or not if it's the same qualifications for the CSVA.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nunyun
Very Senior User

Re: medical reasons
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2005 at 9:49am
Not sure, but I would be carefull, as If you use a medical reason it could be held against you as either not wanting to take the CSVA or the fact that if you medically cannot take it you may not be able to perform the job on other functions....

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2005 at 12:50am
Well i have just learned that the CSVA is based on the autonomic nervous system when the csva reads a deception that means the nervous system has kicked in under stress.  In a person with a nervous disorder that could read a false positive or negative the test itself wouldn't be accurate.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2005 at 10:38pm
Quote:
Well i have just learned that the CSVA is based on the autonomic nervous system when the csva reads a deception that means the nervous system has kicked in under stress.

This is what the makers of the device claim. When you look for any proof or research supporting this contention, you come up empty handed pretty quickly.

Quote:
In a person with a nervous disorder that could read a false positive or negative the test itself wouldn't be accurate.

Is there any reason to believe that this test is accurate in persons free of disorders? Note that CVSA has not been shown to determine truth from deception more accurately than a coin flip in any study not financed by the manufacturer of the device.   

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2005 at 7:38pm
Is there any reason to believe that this test is accurate in persons free of disorders?

I don't believe so but this test is based on the autonomic nervous system from my understanding. I was wondering if the CSVA has the same physical qualifications as the polygraph. A person with a nerological disorder can't take a polygraph because the reading wouldn't be accurate. (not that they are anyways)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 2:29am
Quote:
I don't believe so but this test is based on the autonomic nervous system from my understanding.

I agree that this is what the maker of the device tells people. Still, I know of no peer-reviewed studies linking the voice, deception and the autonomic nervous system.

Until some are completed that show accuracy better than a coin flip, I wouldn't be confident that this "test" has anything to do with the autonomic nervous system.

In response to your original question, I know of no documented conditions for which CVSA examiners will refuse to test a person.

Like with polygraphs, the important thing here is that before we start discussing whether or not a particular technology can or cannot detect deception in people with medical conditions, it must first be shown to detect deception reliably in those with no known health issues.

With polygraphy and especially CVSA, this is not the case.

IP Logged

medical reasons

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X