Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) upcoming polygraph in south florida. HELP! (Read 12048 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: upcoming polygraph in south florida. HELP!
Reply #15 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 11:20am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
anythingformoney wrote on Feb 25th, 2005 at 7:00pm:
George, as one of your apparently favorite researches, Charles R. Honts, says, "Despite widespread public information about countermeasures and commentary in the popular literature indicating that polygraph tests should be easily beaten . . . there is simply no scientific evidence to support that contention."

The results of Honts et al.'s own peer-reviewed countermeasure studies support the contention that polygraph "tests" should be easily beaten, considering that some 50% of deceptive subjects passed the polygraph after receiving a maximum of 30 minutes of instruction in countermeasures.

Quote:
Rovner, Raskin and Kircher conducted studies on the use of practiced countermeasures during a two-chart mock polygraph test conducted by a confederate.  As Honts sums up the findings of those studies, "Research on spontaneous countermeasure and on information strongly suggest that they are not serious problems for polygraph validity."

The "spontaneous" countermeasures mentioned in the passage you've cited refer to untrained countermeasures, that is, things that examinees who are not familiar with CQT procedure may "spontaneously" employ in an attempt to influence the outcome of a polygraph examination. Common examples include thinking calming thoughts or focusing one's attention on a point on the wall hoping to minimize reactions to questions.

Spontaneous countermeasures are not the same as "practiced" countermeasures, such as those that an examinee who has researched polygraphy might employ. A person who has educated himself about polygraph procedure and trained himself in the application of countermeasures such as those outlined in Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector may be said to employ "practiced" countermeasures.

Quote:
Honts does claim that there are studies that both refute and support the use of practiced countermeasures as a means to affect the polygraph outcome.  Therefore, at best, George, you have questionable studies to combat questionable studies.

To my knowledge, there are no peer-reviewed studies refuting the potential for countermeasures of the kind outlined in TLBTLD to influence the outcome of a polygraphic lie test. On the other hand, we do have two peer-reviewed studies (again, by Honts and collaborators) that strongly suggest that countermeasures may be effective in influencing polygraph outcomes. As the National Academy of Sciences noted at p. 214 of its report, The Polygraph and Lie Detection, "the evidence does not provide confidence that polygraph accuracy is robust against potential countermeasures."

Quote:
My use of the "scared little boys and girls" analogy is quite effective in pointing out how I feel regarding your fearmongering, George.  On this website you dispense what might be called "Dr. Poole's Elixer for the Curing of Divers Maladies and Afflictions"--all placebo and no substance.  You remind me of the old Popeye cartoon's humorous assertion that by eating your spinach you will be as strong as ten men.  You call this site informative and yourself informed.  The only way this site is ever truly informative is when a rational opposing view like myself comes on here and presents a counter to your highly questionable information.

Opposing views are certainly welcome on this message board, though it seems to me that you often choose ad hominem rather than rational argument, as above. I also recall that you regrettably chose to forge posts (those by LoopyLuWho) to bolster your own arguments.

Quote:
While you may or may not have claimed that a person MUST use countermeasures, your downloadable reference material and many of your posts to fearful examinees sure makes it appear that you believe an examinee must MESS with the polygraph in order to pass it, which even you, despite your personal vendetta, must know is wrong.  As you recently wrote to one of the scared little boys and girls, "As your experience shows, it is possible to pass a polygraph examination without using countermeasures. But given CQT polygraphy's complete lack of validity, I would personally not leave things to chance."

Indeed, I would not leave things to chance if my future employment were riding on the results of an invalid polygraph test. Especially considering that many pre-employment polygraph programs have failure rates on the order of 50%.

Quote:
George, as I have said repeatedly, the overwhelming majority of examinees easily pass the polygraph.

The fact that you have repeatedly said so does not make it so. While some polygraph screening programs, such as the Department of Defense's counterintelligence-scope polygraph program, do indeed have very low failure rates (almost everyone ultimately passes), the same does not hold true when it comes to pre-employment polygraph testing by federal, state, and local agencies. The FBI, for instance, has a pre-employment polygraph failure rate on the order of 50%:

http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=Policy;action=display;num=...

The Connecticut State Police have reported employment figures indicating a 60% pre-employment polygraph failure rate:

http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=Policy;action=display;num=...

In 2002, Los Angeles Police Chief Bernard Parks stated that 50% of applicants were being eliminated by the polygraph:

http://antipolygraph.org/news/polygraph-news-008.shtml#leovy-gold-09-02-02

And Jack Ogilvie, a polygraph examiner with the Phoenix Police Department, has also spoken of a 50% polygraph failure rate for applicants to his department, noting that such high failure rates are not atypical:

http://www.polygraphplace.com/articles/pre_employment_polygraph_testing.htm

Quote:
Assuming you really had nothing to hide, I'm truly sorry that you didn't pass yours.  I've read your story now.  If that is the case, you are an anomaly, George.  Don't treat your anomaly as if it is the norm, because it is not.  I will address my own feelings about such an anomaly in an original post when and if I find the desire and the time.

I wish my case were anomalous. Indeed, during the first four years following my polygraph experience with the FBI and LAPD, although I was aware of polygraphy's scientific shortcomings, I had supposed that my case was an anomaly. But then, in 1999, I learned that what happened to me was happening to many more FBI applicants than I had originally supposed. The FBI's polygraph failure rate at the time was "only" 20%. I found it hard to believe that so many applicants who had made it past Phase I and Phase II testing were lying with regard to the relevant questions. Since 9/11, the Bureau's polygraph failure rate has climbed to about 50%. While I am not maintaining that my case is the "norm," as you put it, it is certainly not an anomaly, either.

Quote:
As for what you know being based on more than analog studies, you apparently give much more weight to the analog studies than anything else, if in fact you've "weighed" information from other than negative sources.

If you review the bibliography of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, you'll see that we have also considered information from a wide range of pro-polygraph sources.
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2005 at 11:39am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box AnalSphincter
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 7:28pm
George, I really enjoyed the link to the thread titled "60% CT State Police Polygraph Failure Rate!"  There are a few very knowledgable "pro" polygraph people who posted on that thread.  I found especially revealing the statement that 85% of those who failed the polygraph for a particular department made disqualifying admissions AFTER failing the polygraph.

Rehashing those arguments, as well as my own, is boring me to tears.   Cry

It's tough to convert people who don't listen to countering viewpoints, but instead just sit there ready to fire out rehashed rhetoric they picked and chose out of purely self-supporting, refutable studies.  It's especially difficult to do so when those people have absolutely no experience on the other side of the polygraph table.

To make this post short, I have read many refutations and studies that refute everything you just posted.  As for the Loopy references, if you don't buy the explanation, I'm not going to try to convince you of that either.  It was humorous, to say the least!   Cheesy

Now some bad news for you, but some good news for me.  I will be leaving this forum in due time.  (Do I hear cheers from the peanut gallery?)  The Cinderella ball of the Sphincter on AntiPolygraph.Org must reach its inevitabe end.   I believe it was PG111 who recently said that I must be retired because I post on this site so much.  Actually, it takes me about two or three minutes for an average reply to a thread--it's not complicated stuff, and I type very, very fast.  But continually fielding weak pop flies on this forum is quickly losing its entertainment value, which is the only true value this website had to begin with.

Before I "retire," though, I may offer at least one parting post, purely speculative but stemming from common sense and experience, about why George and a tiny minority of examinees might actually jump the vast chasm from non-deceptive to deceptive EVEN IF WE JUMP OUR OWN CHASM AND ASSUME that they ARE being truthful to the relative issues on a polygraph exam.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nunyun
Very Senior User

Reply #17 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 11:16pm
Ghetto_Trooper wrote on Feb 24th, 2005 at 3:48am:
Fat_Moe,

Hope your poly went well.  In my opinion, biting your tongue is a cm that is easily detected.  Trained polygrapher usually are very observant of their subjects and even slight movement from around your throat area will be very noticeable (have you ever practiced this cm in from of a mirror?)  if so you will notice that even a slight movement of the tongue will show which will get you red flagged and most likely cause you to get dq'd fast!!

Not exactly accurate as most polygraphers still have you face away from them and not to mention the fact that you do not answer then bite down, you bite as you are closing your mouth from answering the question as it does not show irregular jaw movement.

Nice scare tactic though, where is a better radar gun comes out someone always comes out with a better detector Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NSAreject2
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 2:17am
The NSA has a small camera, mounted on the top of
the wall, for each interrogation room.  Biting one's
tongue probably wouldn't be recommended there, since
it can probably zoom in real close.  They used to have
one-way mirrors, facing the applicants, and I am sure
they got a few good "panty shots", and did their 
business behind the mirrors (I am sure THAT change
met with a lot of resistence !) Smiley  I haven't seen any
wires coming out of the bottom of the chairs, for an
anal pad, but who knows, what they are up to.  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nunyun
Very Senior User

Reply #19 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 5:20am
I still disagree with you, The tongue biting cannot be seen if practiced even if they are watching you.  Many will disagree but then can they say they have done it?  My polygrapher was FBI, DODPI grad but I guess everyone will say he was one of the polygraphers who was not good at his job.....

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #20 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 11:19am
anythingformoney wrote on Feb 26th, 2005 at 7:28pm:
George, I really enjoyed the link to the thread titled "60% CT State Police Polygraph Failure Rate!"  There are a few very knowledgable "pro" polygraph people who posted on that thread.  I found especially revealing the statement that 85% of those who failed the polygraph for a particular department made disqualifying admissions AFTER failing the polygraph.

You haven't addressed the point of the links I provided, which is to show that your oft-repeated assertion that "the overwhelming majority of examinees easily pass the polygraph" is not true when it comes to pre-employment screening. Do you admit that you were mistaken?

Quote:
It's tough to convert people who don't listen to countering viewpoints, but instead just sit there ready to fire out rehashed rhetoric they picked and chose out of purely self-supporting, refutable studies.

I listened to your countering viewpoints, and provided what I hope were thoughtful and polite replies, directly addressing the points you raised. I regret that you seem to be unwilling to respond in kind.

Quote:
It's especially difficult to do so when those people have absolutely no experience on the other side of the polygraph table.

I reject the notion that one must have experience as a polygrapher (a vocation that requires less training than that of a hair stylist) in order to rationally discuss polygraph matters.

Quote:
To make this post short, I have read many refutations and studies that refute everything you just posted.

Would you be so kind as to direct me to any references that refute the citations I provided indicating that numerous law enforcement agencies have polygraph failure rates on the order of 50%?

Quote:
As for the Loopy references, if you don't buy the explanation, I'm not going to try to convince you of that either.  It was humorous, to say the least!   Cheesy

I find nothing humorous in the fact that you forged posts on this site. By doing so, you undermined your credibility and raised serious doubts about your motives for posting. Your continued flippancy after having been caught red-handed tends only to deepen such doubts.

Quote:
Before I "retire," though, I may offer at least one parting post, purely speculative but stemming from common sense and experience, about why George and a tiny minority of examinees might actually jump the vast chasm from non-deceptive to deceptive EVEN IF WE JUMP OUR OWN CHASM AND ASSUME that they ARE being truthful to the relative issues on a polygraph exam.

It is not at all hard to understand why false positives occur. All it takes is for a truthful person to be more concerned about the consequences of not being believed with regard to the relevant questions than he/she is with regard to the more general and less serious "control" questions.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #21 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 6:53pm
See my post under "Sphincter's Policy."  It's tedious and repetive to post long replies to every point you're trying to make.  It begins to feel like he who writes last is the "winner" of a meaningless exchange.  You'll have the last word, George, don't worry.  You have too much of yourself invested in the silly website, so you'll be here long after I'm gone.  That's ok with me.

Oh, and I find it equally "baffling" that you only see what you want to see, George, which is only PARTS of particular studies that seem to support your agenda.  You have no experience as anything but a failed examinee.  I can trade regurgitations with you, but to what end?  You base your "information" on only one side of the picture, and your suggestions that people actually use countermeasures to ensure that they pass an exam is at best unfounded, and at worst a disservice to honest people everywhere because it MAY assist the guilty somehow in getting through the net.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2005 at 7:56pm by »  

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #22 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 8:46pm
Please answer the following question, which you have dodged, if you wish to continue with this discussion. Do you concede that your assertion that "the overwhelming majority of examinees easily pass the polygraph" is not true when it comes to pre-employment screening? Again, if not, please explain. I shall interpret your continued failure to address this question head-on as confirmation of insincerity on your part.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2005 at 12:16am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #23 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 4:21am
Quote:
Please answer the following question, which you have dodged, if you wish to continue with this discussion. Do you concede that your assertion that "the overwhelming majority of examinees easily pass the polygraph" is not true when it comes to pre-employment screening? Again, if not, please explain. I shall interpret your continued failure to address this question head-on as confirmation of insincerity on your part.

You can interpret my response or non-response to any of your feeble points any way you want, George.   As I've said before, it is my desire to respond only to statements that are worthy of a response, and some of your statements are so outlandish that I simply laugh at them and move on.  But since it seems so important to you that I respond to that statement (I guess my opinion is very important to you) I'll answer it.   NO, I don't concede anything with regard to that statement because it is absolutely true.  As I stated before, outright failure of the polygraph is rare.  Inconclusives are more common, of course, and you keep equating inconclusives as failures.  If you actually failed ALL of the relevant questions on your exam, you are indeed an extreme anomaly.  Failing an exam is uncommon, but failing ALL of the relevant questions on one screening test is outrageous.  In fact, I find it "baffling" that you could have the nerve to claim that you were completely truthful on your failed exam.

I truly don't know of any department or Federal agency that will disqualify applicants for inconclusive results.  Perhaps that occurred way back in the analog days when you took your polygraph . . .   However, if anyone IS doing that, it would be an erroneous administrative policy, not a policy condoned by a knowledgable polygrapher.  
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2005 at 6:01am by »  

IP Logged

upcoming polygraph in south florida. HELP!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X