Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Countermeasures "Challenge" (Read 11451 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box AnalSphincter
Ex Member

Re: Countermeasures "Challenge"
Reply #15 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 6:55pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
You both need to read my challenge again.  It has nothing to do with setting up an exam with either of you.  I'm looking for people who actually lied to a relevant issue on a polygraph and then overcame their lies through countermeasures.  Are you both admitting that you fit that profile?  If so, 'fess up.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #16 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 7:04pm
Here I must agree with A.S. He/she is asking for those who produced a false negative result in a real world polygraph examination to post the details of such.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #17 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 7:53pm
Exactly.  How else are we to believe that countermeasures extolled on this site actually work?  Innocent examinees don't need countermeasures.  For innocent examinees to say that they passed their exam because of countermeasures is like saying that the fizz in carbonated beverages keeps you from getting cancer because the cancer cells are expelled in burps.  Silly, silly, silly.

You dispense a placebo, George, nothing more.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #18 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 8:37pm
anythingformoney wrote on Feb 27th, 2005 at 7:53pm:
Exactly.  How else are we to believe that countermeasures extolled on this site actually work?

Anecdotal evidence provided by anonymous persons in response to your challenge will not provide genuine evidence that countermeasures work, just as anecdotal claims by polygraphers to have detected countermeasures do not prove that polgyraphers are able to detect countermeasures at better-than-chance levels.

But peer-reviewed research strongly suggests  that CQT polygraphy is vulnerable to countermeasures that even experienced polygraphers are unable to reliably detect.

Quote:
Innocent examinees don't need countermeasures.

The finding of the National Acamedy of Sciences that polygraph screening is without validity does not support this assertion.

Quote:
For innocent examinees to say that they passed their exam because of countermeasures is like saying that the fizz in carbonated beverages keeps you from getting cancer because the cancer cells are expelled in burps.  Silly, silly, silly.

It is true that an innocent person who employs countermeasures and subsequently passes a polygraph examination cannot know for sure that the countermeasures were resonsible for his/her passing. But the same is also true with regard to the guilty person who employs countermeasures and passes. He/she cannot truly know whether or not he/she might have also passed absent the use of countermeasures.

Quote:
You dispense a placebo, George, nothing more.

While you assert this to be the case, you have not presented any compelling evidence or argument for such. An understanding CQT procedure, as well as peer-reviewed research, strongly suggests that augmentation of reactions to the "control" questions to increase one's chances of passing is more than just a "placebo."

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyscam
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 9:43pm
anythingformoney wrote on Feb 27th, 2005 at 6:55pm:
You both need to read my challenge again.  It has nothing to do with setting up an exam with either of you.  I'm looking for people who actually lied to a relevant issue on a polygraph and then overcame their lies through countermeasures.  Are you both admitting that you fit that profile?  If so, 'fess up.

No confessions are warranted since I was honest during all phases of my examination.  What I failed to add was perhaps your challenge needs to be modified in order for a true result to be acheived.  I have doubts regarding that many would admit directly that he/she lied outright and employed CMs as such an admission could bring about unwanted attention.  However, I have viewed posts in which the author claims to have lied and employed CMs to "pass."

I was offering to undergo an exam which has attainable ground truth and attempt the use of CMs explained on this site without detection.  I remain willing to do so.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box OfficerWannabe
New User

Reply #20 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 10:07pm
Hi,
Sorry about the misunderstanding.  Well, I can't help you then as I didn't lie on my one and only Poly.   

However, on an interesting side note I did pass a recent CVSA for a PD position.  No lies there either, but one funny bit:  this was a Directed Lie "test" and the examiner said that I kept showing signs of stress on a particular DL question, "Am I wearing a tie?"  I was to lie and say no. Apperaantly, I was having trouble with that one, heh.   

If there had been any problems, the only thing I could have done would be to stand my ground, as I don't know of any countermeasures for the CVSA.  And the CVSA is an even bigger joke than the Poly.  Big waste of time.

Cheers.

"There is truth and there is untruth"
George Orwell, novel 1984

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #21 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 8:49pm
Yes, I'd have to concur with regard to voice stress analysis.  I think if George really wanted to help society (since Lykken says no good can come to society by trying to deceive polygraphers) he'd be renaming this site AntiVoiceStress.org.  Then he'd actually be attacking something with no credibility.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #22 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 10:14pm
anythingformoney wrote on Feb 28th, 2005 at 8:49pm:
Yes, I'd have to concur with regard to voice stress analysis.  I think if George really wanted to help society (since Lykken says no good can come to society by trying to deceive polygraphers) he'd be renaming this site AntiVoiceStress.org.  Then he'd actually be attacking something with no credibility.

A.S.,

You are missing the utility factor. The CVSA, properly given, may have more utility than the polygraph. Most people automatically have higher regard for newer technology - even when unwarranted. Everybody and their grandparents has heard of the polygraph and knows it is old. Leveraging that belief in new tech, the CVSA may even have more utility in extracting confessions than polygraph. (I phrased it that way just for you George!)

Hell, two kids here in Escondido falsely confessed to murder during CVSA post test interrogation. It was a bitch when the DA had to discredit those confessions during the trial of the SOB later caught with DNA evidence.

marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #23 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 12:20pm
anythingformoney wrote on Feb 28th, 2005 at 8:49pm:
Yes, I'd have to concur with regard to voice stress analysis.  I think if George really wanted to help society (since Lykken says no good can come to society by trying to deceive polygraphers) he'd be renaming this site AntiVoiceStress.org.  Then he'd actually be attacking something with no credibility.

The comment by Professor David T. Lykken (whom I hold in the highest regard) to which you refer appears at p. 277 of the 2nd edition of A Tremor in the Blood: Uses and Abuses of the Lie Detector, which was published in 1998. Here it is in context:

Quote:
No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers. As Fay's prison example shows, the most avid students of such developments would be professional criminals rather than the innocent suspects and the truthful job applicants who now fall victim to the trust that we Americans invest in this technology. (On the other hand, if I were somehow forced to take a polygraph test in relation to some important matter, I would certainly use these proven countermeasures rather than rely on the truth and my innocence as safeguards; an innocent suspect has nearly a 50:50 chance of failing a CQT administered under adversarial circumstances, and those odds are considerably worse than those involved in Russian roulette.)

I might add that, as noted in the acknowledgments section of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, Dr. Lykken was among those who were kind enough to review and comment on our pre-publication draft, and he provided important comments on the chapter dealing with countermeasures.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box theignorantone
New User

Reply #24 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 6:45pm
Anal S,

At laest there is a cure for ignorance Angry

theignorantone

IP Logged

Countermeasures "Challenge"

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X