Normal Topic MADE TO STOP BREATFEEDING FOR POLYGRAPH TEST (Read 10353 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box austin0326
New User

MADE TO STOP BREATFEEDING FOR POLYGRAPH TEST
Feb 8th, 2005 at 8:54am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
It's been over two years and it still bothers me.  I had been in law enforcement in Florida for 7 yrs.  I moved to Las Vegas and started my family ( 2 boys - 98 & 02).  Shortly after having my second son in 2002 I applied for a LEO position with a large agency here.  They had problems getting there academy dates together but had me scheduled for my polygraph in 07/02.  I was still breastfeeding and was asked if I had any medical conditions.  I answered no but that I was still breastfeeding.  The examiner stated that could not take the test until I discontinued breastfeeding.  He left the room and and came back a minute later and restated that I must stop breastfeeding.  He asked me how long it might take me and I stated approx. 5 weeks or so.  He set up a date approx. 6 weeks out so that I could return and take the polygraph test.  I stopped breastfeeding no even thinking of the mental consequences it might have on me or even the health of my son (who was having a major surgery later that year).  I was just scared of losing the position.  I want to do something about this because I CAN'T SLEEP AND NIGHT.  This was my last child and I cut short a special time and experience not realizing what I would do to me later.   I need help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am so very angry and ashamed that I would let this important part of my be cheated from me and my son.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Re: MADE TO STOP BREATFEEDING FOR POLYGRAPH TEST
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2005 at 12:34pm
Austin,

I'm somewhat confused as to what exactly you need help with.  Your message is somewhat ambiguous.  You tested in 2002 and stopped breast feeding, yet now in 2005 you can't sleep because of this?

I realize what I just wrote probably is not what your intended message was, however, it is what I understood.

Did you by any chance question the examiner as to why the fact that you were breast feeding would even have anything to do with the polygraph?   I would have made a big stink about it and brought up the issue with his/her supervisor and the human resources dept. of the agency with which you applied.   

If you could please clarify your message I think we could be better able to provide some insight.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2005 at 10:08pm
dimas,

If you’re a mother then you might just understand what has happened here.  If you’re not a mother then you truly don't have any idea as to what had been taken away from me.  I am looking for guidance with this incident with regards to what legal rights I had or still might have and what measures that I might take now against the LE agency.  I don't believe that the polygraphist had the right to make me stop breastfeeding.  I had know idea what the standard of practice was since I am not a polygraphist.  To answer your other question he (the polygraphist) did state that if I were to show deception that I could use the engorgement of my breasts as a medical condition.  Fact: Once a woman has established her milk supply she is no longer engorged.   Again you probably would not know unless you’re a mother.  This was also my last child hence the last chance to breastfeed.  I am not looking for sympathy but I am looking find out if this is normal practice, if this has happened to other women and if I have any recourse against the LE agency.  I don't even know if this is the correct format to ask these questions but I am and have been trying for two years to get some answers.

This is why I can't sleep.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2005 at 10:54pm
Austin

I am not a woman but, if I were in your shoes, I would have contacted a lawyer long ago. The statue of limitations may have run out by now. Check with a lawyer to find out your state's laws.

It sounds like the dude, polygrapher, is playing Doctor. Is he saying that he can't get an accurate heart beat because of breast enlargement? If he is, he's stupid. What would he tell Dolly Parton if she applied. It sounds to me like the department doesn't want to hire a woman with two little kids. If this is the case, that is against federal fair labor laws. 

My advice, even now, is talk to a lawyer.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2005 at 6:20am
I have contacted several attorneys here in LV but no one wants to take on a large metro police dept..  All of the attorneys that I have spoken with have know expertise on the polygraph front as well as never hearing of this happening to any other female in the past.  I was hoping to spark the interest of anyone that has or knows someone who is an attorney to help me take a stand on mother’s rights.  I don't know whether to go to the media with this now or not?  I thank you for your advice and am still contacting attorneys on a weekly basis.  I also have limited funds to try and pay someone to take the case.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anxietyguy
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2005 at 6:57am
You waited too long, many doubts will be raised even if it does go to court.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2005 at 12:58am
austin

If you can't find a federal atty., then try the ACLU. The federal statue of limitations may be longer in a labor violation. If this fails then, by all means, go to the media. Contact an investigative reporter of the newspaper or TV. These dudes are either the bravest or craziest people in the media.

From what I read about the LVPD, I can understand why you can't find a state atty. to take them on. Half of that force must have used countermeasures to pass the poly.

IP Logged

MADE TO STOP BREATFEEDING FOR POLYGRAPH TEST

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X