Normal Topic State of FBI IA Hiring (Read 10834 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rv8pilot
New User

State of FBI IA Hiring
Feb 3rd, 2005 at 9:35pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
FYI.  I have been applying to FBI IA position for two years now.  This is the latest that I know on the status of things.  The FBI has cancelled all Intelligence Analyst applications that had a closing date of Sept 27, 2004.  They plan to request new applications in the "near future".  I have been in contact with the staffing dept in DC since I started applying, and up until last week they said that my application was in the Most Qualified list and would be distributed to the offices I applied to as soon as they (staffing) were told to go.  I know people in the offices that I applied to, and they had no knowledge that this was going to happen.  Apparently, even Section Chiefs are being kept in the dark on the hiring process.  I can't understand what is taking so long in the hiring process.  Since last August I was told by staffing that they were waiting on the new budget to be approved.  It was approved in December, and for more than FBI asked for.   I have a special agent friend who is screaming for help in the analysis dept.  He says most counter-terrorism agents are swamped and are in dire need of help.  So what's the hold-up?  Anybody have any guesses?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Re: State of FBI IA Hiring
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 1:46am
No idea on why things seemed messed up.  But take this as an omen of things to come if you get the job.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 6:28pm
Dear RV8PILOT,

Please check an article dated around January 26, 2005, on GOVEXEC.COM concerning FBI Whistleblowers.  It says it all.  Past senior agents basically calling existing FBI management completely incompetent.  Promises not to retaliate against people in the organization trying to report problems not kept.

The only reason the FBI functions is due to the dedication of the line staff actually doing the job working around the poor directions and guidance from above.  The best special agents do not go into management after seeing what poor decisions that are created by management.

Your application is more the norm than the exception.  The Director is trying but there are an awful lot of old dogs who refuse to learn new tricks in the Bureau.

Regards.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 6:57pm
Fair Chance,

Do you work for the bureau?  I was talking to my special agent buddy about this issue the other day, and he said exactly what you said, almost verbatim. Very uncanny.   

He also told me that his "intelligence analysts" are mostly GS-5's or 7's that were formerly clerks.  They have no initiative to do the intelligence gathering, and tell him to go to the national processing center with his workload because it's too much for them to handle.

I can only hope that the FBI is at rock bottom will have no where to go but up from now on.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 7:33pm
Fair Chance & All,

I went to govexec.com and found that article.  It's good to know people are making waves.  I also may have found the reason for the hiring cancellation.  Another article entitled "Bush orders CIA, FBI to boost hiring" dated 11/24/2004 links to an executive order to the FBI to revamp the hiring process and report back to the president within 90 days (by February 21, 2005).  The report stipulates that (among other things) the FBI must document how they are going to recruit professionals with the needed skill areas, and how they are going to train and retain them.  In total, it's a pretty big order, so managment may be scrambling to change the hiring process to demonstrate compliance with the order.   

One can only hope.

The executive order can be found here: 

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/11/20041123-6.html

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2005 at 7:01am
Dear RV8PILOT,

I can only hope that we have found "rock bottom."   There are too many good people willing to give their lives in service in the military for our country in blind faith that we are doing our best to serve this country and the families they leave behind.  I often wonder at night that the egos and personal agendas at the FBI have overcome the sworn duty to protect the Constitution of the United States in the spirit that so many good people have hope of us doing.  Doing the right thing is far more than money or convenience.

I think of my family, neighbors, and of those who trust us to do the right thing despite any personal hardships we may be subject to because we "voice our concerns."   It is very hard some days.  There is no gratitude and those who expect such will be disappointed.  You just do it because you believe in something greater.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box kuilei
New User

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2005 at 9:16am
Hey Rv8pilot,
I'm waiting too.  I applied during an IA announcement before the one that they recently canceled and yet my application status is still "referred to hiring official".  Does that mean my application is still valid? I noticed today that they posted a new opening for IAs in DC.  Check it out.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 5:25pm
Fair Chance,

I can't agree with you more.  It's very disheartening to believe that a few management types who may have become disillussioned with their careers would now become an impediment to progress, especially where national security is at stake.  It doesn't take the most intelligent of terrorists to bomb a shopping mall or a daycare center and send this country into a panic.  The people I know in the bureau are hard working, dedicated and extremely frustrated by a "reactive"  rather than proactive mangement.  Yet everyday they continue to pursue their cases knowing that their efforts will pay off to those that they have sworn to defend (and I don't mean their bosses).  With two small children of my own I thank God that we have agents who are continnuing to be successful despite the constraints they work under.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 5:33pm
Kuilei,

I saw the posting and applied.  However, like you I am wondering about the cancellation announcement.  On my application status page some of the applications were listed as "vacancy cancelled" but some were still listed as "application received".  Does this mean that the other applications are still valid?

Also, did you notice on the new announcement that the applicant must sign a statement to the effect that they are willing to be deployed wherever the FBI needs to send them?  Could it be that the analysts will be treated like the new-hire agents in that you will be assigned to a field office of the FBI's choice upon hiring?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 8:08pm
I just got a call from my agent friend in the FBI.  He just received an email about the nationally televised ad during the superbowl that the FBI ran. It was specific to looking for Intelligence Analysts.   

I missed it.  Please reply if you saw it and fill me in on the details.

It seems odd to have run it on 2/6 when the current announcement ends on 2/11.  Why not run the ad after the commercial?

He hasn't heard anything about hiring analysts otherwise.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #10 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 11:09pm
RV8PILOT.

The ad you mentioned was only aired in the Washington, D.C. metro area on FOX WTTG newtork.  The Bureau is not willing to pay for relocation and will not consider anyone who is not already in the D.C. commuting area.  Two of five commercials recently created by the FBI are available for screening at www.fbi.gov as of Monday 2/7/05.  They will not be attached to the site for more than a month.

This is a broad recruiting advertisement.  It does not indicate that there is a shortage of applicants.  It does mean that they are trying to pump up the numbers knowing the attrition rate through the hiring process (which failing one of two applicants through the "polygraph process" does not help).

Please do not hold your breath for any job at the FBI.  A "fast" hire is considered to be around a year.  Better to live your life the way you want and be surprised if the FBI contacts you.  It is no cakewalk and the hiring process is mentally grueling.  It is a numbers game.  If you have never been in government service, it can be shocking before and after you are hired.

Regards

IP Logged

New User

Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 12:38am
Staffing people in D.C. have told me about the attrition rate, so I'm sure you're correct about pumping up the numbers.  And after visiting this site the first time I realized that the polygraph would be the linchpin to getting hired.  I am close friends with a former agent that does background investigations. He said that I don't have anything to worry about in that department.   

Iwas told by a staffing person that I was put on the most qualified list, and that my application was going to be sent to the office that I applied to as soon as they were told to release them.  I had already spoken with the section chief of the unit, and he put my name on his personal watch list.  So I was very close.   

But that being said, I still don't consider myself to be near hired, not with the polygraph looming.  Everyone I talk to that has passed a polygraph passes it off as "no problem-don't worry about it", which is at least four people, all with TS-SCI clearances.  Of course it's easy to say that after you've passed.  Obviously, it was not a problem if they didn't fail you.

I've already come to the conclusion that I should not postpone any other plans for the FBI.

I just wonder if they can really get all the talent they say they want and still systematically reject half of the applicants, which is actually half of the "most qualified" applicants.  The ones who have already been screened for education, experience, and preliminary backgrounds.

I guess they can.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #12 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 7:34am
Dear RV8PILOT,

I think the FBI is rather arrogant in the fact that they feel they will always have an excess of qualified candidates heading their way.  The baby boom is coming upon us and there is a large amount of government employees qualified to retire in the next five years.  If the economy starts taking off in the next few years, many government workers will take their retirements, security clearances, and leave for an "eight year cycle" (normal time for economic boom to bust scenerio) into the private business area taking them well into their retirement years.

There is a looming shortage of science professionals which will be coveted by both the private and public sector.  The agencies will be at that point forced to treat applicants with respect and honesty or face the consequences.

Right now, this does not help your application but I mean to emphasis that non-logical use of an unscientific intrument such as the polygraph in pre-employment screening does not impress the top tier science applicants about the ability of an agency to adhere to "object study science."  They destroy their own credibility by going against such think tanks as the NAS.  The best scientist and applicants are either going to ignore the FBI and not apply because the FBI believes in junk science or they will study and easily beat the test.

Ironic,  you want the best, they will study and beat you at your own game.  You do not like them beating you but you want to recruit them for their knowledge and resourcefulness.  Similar to an expert hacker being prosecuted and then hired as a security consultant because they have outwitted the system.

Oh, what a tangled web we weave trying to do the right thing.

Regards.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #13 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 8:54pm
Fair Chance,

I heard the same thing on the radio the other morning about the number of scienctific and technical personnel that will be needed in government service in the near term.  But like you, I am skeptical of arrogant management to change their ways and get the really most qualified applicants.  If you consider a book entitled "Intelligence Analysis: A Target Centric Approach" by Robert Clark, he details the job of the analyst (for the CIA) and discusses the technical background and analysis tools and methods required of a good analyst.  It was interesting to discover that I fit his description very well, possessing a Master's degree in electrical engineering, a bachelor's in mechanical, and a wealth of design and analysis in both.  Much of the tools and methods an engineer uses are directly applicable to the analyst position.  The point to mentioning this is that there cannot be many people like me around willing to give up private sector careers for the FBI.  If the FBI really wants the best they need to closely monitor the polygraph testing and insure that some GS-11 or -12 polygrapher is not preventing the acquistion of needed talent because that polygraher wants to insure a good performance appraisal in October.   

After speaking with the section chief of the unit that I applied to, he indicated that he would not seek an interview with me once receiving my application, he would just start processing my hiring.  He felt this way because he knew that I could hit the ground running, and bring some desired skills to his unit, something he desparately wants.

After researching the polygraph situation though, I really think that it comes down to one man, the polygrapher, and his personal feelings about me.  It's a 50-50 shot, one out of two being passed.   

I am considering using countermeasures if I get to that point because of those odds.  But as you intimated, I am intelligent enough to research, practice, and hone my skills before attempting it.  Therefore insuring that someone who is "deceptive" will be hired.  The irony defies logic, but you have to play the game.

IP Logged

State of FBI IA Hiring

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X