Normal Topic I'm a Good Guy! I promise!! (Read 4773 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box spoon
New User

I'm a Good Guy! I promise!!
Jan 30th, 2005 at 1:22am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
My goal is to become a police officer and I think that I would make an outstanding asset to any department due to that I really have a passion for LE, but I am woried about being hired.  I tried marijuana when I was about 12, when a friend offered it to me and then again about 7 months ago at a college party. STUPID I KNOW. Both time I never got high and only took one drag each time and I don't even think that I did it right, in college all I preaty much did was put the joint to my mouth and then gave it away.  Will a department higher me if I am a good guy but tried marijuana within one year. I don't plan on lying on the Poly test though, because lying is not my thing. On the test can you explain about the grounds on which you tried a drug or is it just a yes or no question? Will the recruiting officer understand my short comings.

Thanks to anyone who really knows what they are talking about.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anxietyguy
Very Senior User

Re: I'm a Good Guy! I promise!!
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2005 at 2:07am
Doesn't matter what excuses you give each department has hiring standards and has to uphold them. Most will not hire you if you just used marijuana 7 months ago.You will need at least three years between this incident.You may be an excellent canidate but you will be DQ'd if you admit to this.

Anxiety
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2005 at 4:47pm by anxietyguy »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nunyun
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2005 at 7:52am
I agree with Anxiety but some agencies it may be two years, depends on the policy....

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2005 at 4:14pm
Unfortunately, your drug use is too recent and I really doubt that any LE department would hire you regarding your use of drugs.

BTW it is not "higher" it is "HIRE", perhaps you should have been studying in college and not taking a drag off of your friends joint.   

I'm just giving you a hard time, but in all seriousness it looks like you are going to have to wait a few years.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box spoon
New User

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 8:31am
Here I am again, sorry about the spelling.  Actually the department that I want to work for has a drug policy of seven months.  By that time it would have been over a year since my pathetic run in with marijuana.  Do you think that they just say seven months and expect no less than three years of being drug free?  Do I still really have a chance?
Plus what about when you senior guys took the poly and said that you have tried marijuana, what was there reaction in the personal interview to your experience.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 3:52pm
All departments have a requirement that is VERY VAGUE, along the lines of a candidate must have good moral character or something like that.  This is actually the disqualifier that is used to disqualify candidates that we "feel" would not make a good LE officer.  In the case of it being 7 months they could techinically disqualify for the drug use based on the "good moral character" requirement.  

As far as the polygraph is concerned I came on to my department prior to their using the polygraph on all candidates.  Personally my experience with the poly has been a False positive, followed by inconclusives on the other 2( these were all done for another department).  

It's a crap shoot and unfortunately it also catches quite a few of us innocents, however, to be honest with you I am glad that our department is using it.  I say this as a supervisor that is sick and tired of corrupt officers making it into the department and the polygraph has done wonders in having unfit candidates spill their guts about their gang affiliations, crimes and drug use.  It is a necessary evil at this time for us to use the polygraph as part of the hiring process.

Personally, when interviewing candidates in the oral board all I am looking for is HONESTY.  You don't need to be perfect, but you also can't be a criminal and expect to get a job as a cop.  Candidates admitting to drug use and showing remorse or stating that they learned from it and no longer will have the temptation or curiousity to try drugs are not docked any points on my part.  This is of course only if the drug use was experimental and definitely not the type you inject into a vein.  I also think having use drugs 7 months ago is a bit too recent and I would probably fail you based on how recent it was.  3 years is more or less a good time to have not touched an illegal substance and one that most of us would probably feel comfortable with.

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2005 at 8:29am by dimas »  

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2005 at 5:20am
Good reply Dimas, right on the head.

Spoon when I took my poly I had not smoked marijuana in over 15 years (twice in college).  I joined to service to straighten myself out and build my background knowing that what Dimas just wrote, I had to work on "Integrity", "maturity" and "good moral charracter" and this took more than a couple of years to prove myself before I even felt comfortable selling myself to an agency, and being able to account for my indescretions...... Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rcop
User

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 7:45am
Spoon,

This is my department's policy, which I think is quite liberal, re: prior drug use by candidates with a non-law enforcement backround.

"The following illegal drug use will be automatically disqualifying, without exception:

1.  Any adult use of a drug classified as a hallucinogen within 7 years prior to the application for employment.

2.  Any adult use of marijuana within 1 year prior to the application for employment.

3.  Any illegal adult use of any drug not mentioned above, including cocaine, within 3 years prior to the application for employment."

However, keep in mind that although an applicant's prior drug use may not be automatically disqualifying, it will definitely be considered in the hiring decision.  Good luck.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 8:17am
wow, that is liberal.......

IP Logged

I'm a Good Guy! I promise!!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X