Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Can I Beat a Lie Detector? - MSN Slate Article (Read 19839 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box AnalSphincter
Ex Member

Re: Can I Beat a Lie Detector? - MSN Slate Article
Reply #15 - Feb 12th, 2005 at 10:55pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
All of what you wrote in your last post wasn't worth writing until you got to the last paragraph.  You needn't feel compelled to respond to every single thing I write, Jeffery.  Don't work yourself so hard.

No, you aren't a polygraphster.  Since all you have to go on is what you've read on this forum (much of which is erroneous or highly exaggerated), AND your extremely limited experience, don't be so quick to speak about polygraphsters and polygraphics ( Grin) as if you are an expert.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #16 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 1:04am
anythingformoney wrote on Feb 12th, 2005 at 10:55pm:
 Since all you have to go on is what you've read on this forum (much of which is erroneous or highly exaggerated), AND your extremely limited experience, don't be so quick to speak about polygraphsters and polygraphics ( Grin) as if you are an expert.

What part of either of the DoDPI manuals is higly erroneous? 
http://antipolygraph.org/documents/dodpi-lepet.pdf

http://antipolygraph.org/documents/dodpi-interrogation.pdf

So... you look up the word 'metrics' yet?

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #17 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 4:04am
Don't need to look up a word I already know.

And what about the DODPI manual do you find erroneous?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #18 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 6:51am
Quote:
OK, Gino.  Although this will probably just lead to both of us citing studies and articles that none of the worriers on this forum will actually read, I'll humor you . . . at least once.  We'll look like two people arguing over the true meaning of an obscure Biblical passage. 

Don’t be so quick to dismiss the intellectual capacity of the readers of this site. Besides, there are only four field studies of CQT polygraphy that have passed peer review for publication in scientific journals and are thus worth reading.

They don't prove that CQT polygraphy works reliably at better than chance levels. Check David T. Lykken's treatment of the topic in A Tremor in the Blood: Uses and Abuses of the Lie Detector (2nd edition, 1998) (pp. 133-135).

Quote:

Field Studies    There are four field studies of the CQT that have been published in scientific journals.20 Three of the four include casse where the verification of guilt and innocence was not entirely dependent on polygraph-induced confessions. Although not published in a peer-reviewed journal, the Barland and Raskin study (Barland's Ph.D. research under Raskin's direction,21 which its authors have repudiated, produced two interesting results. First, the principal scientific advocate of the CQT, Dr. Raskin, who independently scored all the charts, classified more than half of the innocent suspects as deceptive. Second, knowing that most of the suspects tested were probably guilty, Raskin scored 88% of them as deceptive. Since 78% of them were in fact guilty, if we classified 88% of the total group as deceptive and the rest as truthful entirely at random, we should achieve an average accuracy of 71%. Raskin's average accuracy, based on the polygraph charts, was also 71%.   

The studies by Horvath and by Kleinmuntz and Szucko both used confession-verified CQT charts obtained respectively from a police agency and the Reid polygraph firm in Chicago. The original examiners in these cases, all of whom used the Reid clinical lie test technique, did not rely only on the polygraph results in reaching their diagnoses but also employed the case facts and their clinical appraisal of the subjects' behavior during testing. Therefore, some suspects who failed the CQT and confessed were likely to have been judged deceptive and interrogated based primarily on the case facts and their demeanor during the polygraph examination, leaving open the possibility that their charts may or may not by themselves have indicated deception. Moreover, some other suspects were cleared by confessions of others, even though the cleared suspects, judged truthful using global criteria, colud have produced charts indicative of deception. That is, the original examiners in these cases were led to doubt these suspects' guilt in part regardless of the evidence in the charts and proceded to interrogate an alternative suspect in the same case who thereupon confessed. For these reasons, some undetermined number of the confessions that were critical in these two studies were likely to be relatively independent of the polygraph results, revealing some of the guilty suspects who "failed" it. The hit rates obtained in these studies are indicated in Table 8.2. 

In the study by Patrick and Iacono, 13 of the 20 innocent suspects were confirmed as such independently of polygraph results (e.g., the complainant later discovered the mislaid item originally thought to have been stolen). As can be seen in Table 8.2, 9, or 45% of these 20 innocent suspects were wrongly classified as deceptive by the CQT. Only one guilty suspect could be confirmed as such from file data independent of CQT-induced confessions; his charts were classified as inconclusive by the CQT. The remaining guilty suspects in the Patrick and Iacono study were all classified solely on the basis of having been scored as deceptive on the polygraph and then interrogated to produce a confession. Understandably, when examiners trained in the same method of scoring independently rescored these charts, they agreed with the original examiners in 98% of cases. 

Table 8.2. Summary of Studies of Lie Test Validity That Were Published in Scientific Journals and That Used Confessions to Establish Ground Truth

Horvath   
(1977)
Kleinmuntz   
&Szucko   
(1984)
Patrick &   
Iacono   
(1991)
Honts   
(1996)
Mean
Guilty correctly   
classified
21.6/28   
77%
38/50   
76%
48/49   
98%
7/7   
100%
114.6/134   
85.5%
Innocent correctly   
classified
14.3/28   
51%
32/50   
64%
11/20   
55%
5/5   
100%
62.3/103   
60.5%
Mean of above 64% 70% 77% 100% 73%

[table notes omitted] 

The recent study by Honts illustrates that publication in a refereed journal is no guarantee of scientific respectability. The meticulous study by Patrick and Iacono was done with the cooperation of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) in Vancouver, B.C., and showed that nealy half of the suspects later shown to be innocent were diagnosed as deceptive by the RCMP polygraphers. This prompted the Canadian Police College to contract with Honts, one of the Raskin group, to conduct another study. A polygraphy instructor at the college sent Honts charts from tests administered to seven suspects who had confessed after failing the CQT and also charts of six suspects confirmed to be innocent by these confessions of alternative suspects in the same crimes. Knowing which were which, Honts then proceeded to rescore the charts, using the same scoring rules employed by the RCMP examiners. Those original examiners had, of course, scored all seven guilty suspects as deceptive; that was why they proceeded to interrogate them and obtained the criterial confessions. Using the same scoring rules (and also knowing which suspects were in fact guilty), Honts of course managed to score all seven as deceptive also. The RCMP examiners had scored four of the six innocent suspects as truthful and two as inconclusive. We can be confident that all innocent suspects classified as deceptive were never discovered to have been innocent because, in such cases, alternative suspects would not have been tested, excluding any possibility that the truly guilty suspect might have failed, been interrogated, and confessed. Honts, using the same scoring rules and perhaps aided by his foreknowledge of which suspects were innocent, managed to improve on the original examiners, scoring five of the six as truthful and only one as inconclusive. The difference in Hons' findings from those of the other studies summarized in Table 8.2 is striking. 

Surely, no sensible reader can imagine that these alleged "findings" of the Honts study add anything at all to the sum of human knowledge about the true accuracy of the CQT. How it came about that scientific peer review managed to allow this report to be published in an archival scientific journal is a mystery. Since the author, Honts, and the editor of the journal, Garvin Chastain, are colleagues in the psychology department of Boise State University, it is a mystery they might be able to solve. 

[Notes:] 

20. F. Horvath, The effect of selected variables on interpretation of polygraph records, Journal of Applied Psychology, 1977, 62, 127-136; B. Kleinmuntz and J. Szucko, A field study of the fallibility of polygraphic lie detection, Nature, 1984, 308, 449-450; C. Patrick and W.G. Iacono, Validity of the control question polygraph test: The problem of sampling bias, Journal of Applied Psychology, 1991, 76, 229-238; C. Honts, Criterion development and validity of the CQT in field application, Journal of General Psychology, 1996, 123, 309-324. 

21. G.H. Barland and D.C. Raskin, Validity and Reliability of Polygraph Examinations of Criminal Suspects, (Report 76-1, Contract 75 NI-99-000), Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Justice, 1976. 

Quote:
This is more for you and me, Gino, just so you and I both know that I know what I'm talking about.  The difference between you and me, though, is that all you can do is counter with your own citations, while I have real-world experience and have rubbed elbows with the Top Guns of the polygraph world.

Like many of your arguments, the same claim could truthfully be made by experts in the field of astrology. 

Just because you have associated with the top experts in a fraudulent field means nothing. When it comes to ability to detect deception, the field as a whole is incompetent. Association with its luminaries therein means nothing.

Quote:
I probably won't waste so much time to counter your inane, memorized rhetoric again, so rest easy, baby! 

Too bad. I was looking forward to the intellectual challenge. I was hoping that perhaps you might even start some name calling—I sometimes feel envious that George gets all of the personal attacks thrown at him by the angry polygraphers and there are none left for me. When it comes to letting us know that what we are doing is having a profound effect on the art of polygraphy, nothing shines like a personal attack or two by an angry polygrapher. We then follow up with another rational argument instead of a personal attack. It's like putting a red cape in front of a bull.

Quote:
Oh, where, oh where has my little George gone, oh where, oh where can he be?  He'll be back, of course. This ridiculous forum is his whole life.  He's not much good for anything but entertainment, though.

Speaking of this “ridiculous” forum, you certainly seem to spend enough time here lately. And the only entertainment George provides is when a polygrapher tries to step up toe to toe with him and gets embarrassed. At least I find it entertaining…

So charge, Toro, charge!

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #19 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 3:01pm
"What the hell was that?  You've got three seconds.  Five, tops!  That's why they call it a quip, not a slooooowb!" -- Mauricio, Shallow Hal

I'm sure that took a long time to type, Gino.

As I said before, we could throw out referenced studies like two religious scholars arguing over the interpretation of an obscure Biblical passage.  Now I've thrown out a few and you've thrown out a few.  It didn't help either of us much, but hopefully it pointed the more intelligent curious examinee in the right direction for more information.  At least by reguritating some scholarly information you've redeemed yourself with this forum crowd and recovered somewhat from our previous encounter.  I will allow you that.  I really don't want you to have type so much again.

Our views differ, clearly, Gino.  I'll say it again, though: My views have actual experience to support them.  Am I the "Grand Poo-Bah" of polygraph before whom all others should bow?  No, but at least I know what I'm talking about through study AND experience.

George isn't particularly intimidating, Gino.  He is also a regurgitator of information, much of it misinformation.  He can, and surely will, speak for himself, so you don't need to come to his rescue.

Thank you for your time and your informative post.

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2005 at 4:16pm by »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 40smith
New User

Reply #20 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 6:51pm
Wow! 

George, Gino-

Perhaps you can change the name of these forums to Anal's Second Home.  I haven't seen a member post on virtually every board, that many times.  Obsess much? Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #21 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 10:01pm
Don't worry.  I won't be with you all forever.  I become easily bored with talking to people whose skullbones are thicker than their brain matter.  I am making the most of my time on this forum for as long as I am here.  When I am gone, this forum will again revert to a haven for George, Gino and others who first frighten the little boys and girls with stories of the boogeyman of polygraph, and then tuck them in with fairy tales of King Countermeasure and the knights of the poly table.

I'll be missed by someone when I'm gone.
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2005 at 11:06pm by »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anxietyguy
Very Senior User

Reply #22 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 10:58pm
Maybe it's time that you find another forum so you can respond to your own postings again Grin

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #23 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 11:02pm
Did somebody say something?  Guess it was nobody again. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #24 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 5:00am
I may often disagree with Anal (primarly because he is a polygrapher) but I do find the dialog interesting and welcome his participation.  He seems to take it as well as he dishes out, so let's not run him out of town too quickly.   

Besides, having pro-polygraphics posts on this board gives new visitors something to judge things by.  I'm sure after reading George and Gino's posts and then reading posts from Anal, they will form a better opinion on the true boogeyman of polygraphics.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

Reply #25 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 6:32am
Quote:
I may often disagree with Anal (primarily because he is a polygrapher) but I do find the dialog interesting and welcome his participation.  He seems to take it as well as he dishes out, so let's not run him out of town too quickly.

As much of a shock as this may be to some, George and I value his participation as well. He is probably the first to represent the pro-polygraph position on this forum by attempting to justify his position with facts instead of simply throwing personal attacks at George.

Open discussion should be the primary goal of any online forum, as we often learn the most from those with opinions different from our own. AntiPolygraph.org’s forum is uncensored, and is designed for the free exchange of ideas. For the first three years, registration was not required and no posts were deleted.

In the summer of 2004, a polygrapher posting under the moniker ”I-SMELL-BS” began to spam virtually ever thread in the forum with personal attacks against George and other contributors to this site.

His posts contributed nothing other than provide an example of typical polygrapher behavior to our readers that one could not otherwise comprehend before sitting in the “hot seat.”

For this reason, we have instituted a new policy where posts consisting solely of name calling and personal attacks will be moved to the AntiPolygraph.org Discarded Posts Forum

Take a look at some of the posts made by ISBS. This poster’s goal was simply to drag down the level of discussion and decrease the signal to noise ratio of the forum. For this reason, he was shown the door.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

Reply #26 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 6:58am
Quote:
George isn't particularly intimidating, Gino.  He is also a regurgitator of information, much of it misinformation.  He can, and surely will, speak for himself, so you don't need to come to his rescue.

It’s good to hear that someone in the polygraph community is not intimidated by him.

Apparently former American Polygraph Association Milton O. "Skipp" Webb, Jr. thinks that George Maschke is pretty intimidating. A few years ago, Chicago Tribune columnist Eric Zorn extended both men invitations to a moderated debate on the topic of polygraphy. George accepted the invitation. It seems that Mr. Webb was too yellow to accept the challenge.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #27 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 9:09am
I really can't comment on Webb's reasons for not going to a public debate.  Perhaps he's camera shy.  Or maybe he's just not a good debater.  When some politicians debate they look stiff and wooden.  Others, like JFK, glow with charisma.   Appearances can be very deceiving, though, and so many voters are uninformed and will look at charisma and good speaking ability and never see beyond that when they cast their vote.

More likely, though, is that Webb understands that he and the polygraph community have nothing to gain by such an event, which would probably be "decided" by who could regurgitate research studies the best.  The polygraph community is very large and well-ensconced in our society, so what would it have to gain by going to a public debate or a TV event and fielding criticism, much of it unfounded?

I do know that George is an excellent regurgitator, and he might be pretty quick on his feet.  I suppose that after failing a polygraph he really wanted to retaliate, and he has a nice little forum here to rule over and spread both good information and misinformation, and the latter serves his retaliatory purposes quite well.

I am pleased that my time on this forum is appreciated, Gino.  ( Cheesy)  I want you all  to know that you are extremely fortunate to have me here for a short time.   Most of the polygraph community considers this a totally worthless forum that is not worth responding to.  Sometimes I feel the same way.

To be completely honest, I'm quickly tiring of it all.  I have little to learn here: Actual experience teaches me more each day than all the idea swapping on this forum could ever do.  Debating on this forum is like debating topics of philosophy or religion, which I discovered in college and elsewhere is really wasted time.  What people know and what they think they know are often so inseparable in their minds that even if they have no actual experience in the subject they simply won't budge an inch.
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2005 at 9:32am by »  

IP Logged

Global Moderator

Reply #28 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 9:38am
AS, I agree with you that "I'm not going to dignify these people with a response" may very well have been Skip Webb's game plan for dealing with us.

Still, I'm not sure his plan is all that wise.

I know you feel our lack of experience as polygraphers should cause the information that we put out on polygraphy to be discounted. As I mentioned to you on another thread, I disagree (my analogy that one must not read Tarot cards to convincingly speak on Astrology being a fraud goes well here). On this point, I think that we can agree to disagree.

Still one thing that is undeniable is that there are a large number of people who see it as I do and believe that there is merit to the information put out by AntiPolygraph.org. The National Academy of Sciences was impressed enough with George to invite him to speak at one of their committee meetings on polygraphy.  Eric Zorn, a writer for one of the biggest papers in America certainly thought that he was enough of an authority on polygraphy to take on Mr. Webb. Also add Andrew Kantor of USA Today—the list goes on and on. 

The fact is this movement is gaining steam as more and more people find out about the fraud that is polygraphy. These people are telling their friends, and so on. As more people learn about polygraphy, its one and only utility—the ability of the process to make people confess to things that they otherwise would have withheld—will vanish.

Eventually, I bet there will come a point where the APA types reverse course and step away from the policy of not dignifying criticism with a response. Hopefully (at least for George and I), it will be too little, too late.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #29 - Feb 19th, 2005 at 2:11am
Actually, it's a bit surprising that there is so little opposition to the polygraph.  No polygrapher can deny that taking a polygraph is an intrusive, unpleasant experience.  I have had multiple exams myself, and none of them was a fond memory.  If members of congress had to take regular polygraphs, then you might get your wish of seeing it go away.

But I don't think the polygraph will go away unless something better replaces it.  Like it or not, Gino, the vast majority of people pass their polygraph.  Then there are a significant number whose polygraph results are inconclusive, even after a second polygraph.  Finally, there are a very, very small minority who actually fail the polygraph outright, and many of those, believe it or not, really deserved to fail.

You may liken the polygraph to tarot cards, but until you've done something and seen it work time and time again, don't be so quick to discount it when all you have to go on our a small number of lab studies that support your particular agenda.

When something better does come along, it may be awhile before it supplants the polygraph.  More likely, it will simply be used in conjunction with the polygraph to augment its accuracy even further.

IP Logged

Can I Beat a Lie Detector? - MSN Slate Article

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X