Normal Topic Possible upcoming CIA poly (Read 5393 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box patrioteagle
New User

Possible upcoming CIA poly
Jan 26th, 2005 at 6:37pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I may be offered a job as a CIA Analyst and have some questions about the polygraph.

1) Since I visited this site and read TLBTLD and know how to employ countermeasures, and I admit to it before the poly, does that mean I automatically flunk?

2) If you disclose prior mj use (seven times several years ago) during the background forms, how much do they probe you and interrogate you about it?

3) What types of questions do they ask about prior sexual activity?  I've read the memoirs of some applicants and they said they were really embarrassed about some of the questions they were asked and some have even been turned in and accused of being pedophiles!!!  That's scary.   I'm certainly not, but this line of questioning sounds really intimidating to someone not expecting it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Possible upcoming CIA poly
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2005 at 8:37pm
patrioteagle wrote on Jan 26th, 2005 at 6:37pm:
1) Since I visited this site and read TLBTLD and know how to employ countermeasures, and I admit to it before the poly, does that mean I automatically flunk?

Neither the CIA, nor any other federal agency, has publicly articulated how it will deal with applicants or employees who are honest enough to admit to knowing about polygraph procedure and countermeasures. But the CIA's treatment of applicant Maureen Lenihan, mentioned at p. 124 of the 3rd edition of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector is instructive.

Quote:
2) If you disclose prior mj use (seven times several years ago) during the background forms, how much do they probe you and interrogate you about it?

Although I have no firsthand knowledge, I expect that you'll be questioned at length regarding all salient details of your past drug use.

Quote:
3) What types of questions do they ask about prior sexual activity?  I've read the memoirs of some applicants and they said they were really embarrassed about some of the questions they were asked and some have even been turned in and accused of being pedophiles!!!  That's scary.   I'm certainly not, but this line of questioning sounds really intimidating to someone not expecting it. 

Examples of the kinds of questions regarding sexual activity that CIA polygraphers may ask are provided in Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (beginning at p. 91 of the 3rd edition). See also the public statement of No Such Author. Whether or not you are ultimately hired by the CIA, your answers to such questions will become the property of the U.S. Government. I think it would be prudent to consider how intimate a relationship you are willing to have with our government before you proceed further.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2005 at 11:50pm
I understand your message.

Quite scary.  It would be one thing if it were one of those things like "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas", but the polygraphers turn you in.

I have nothing to hide, but just the thought of embarrassing questions and having to answer them makes me sick to my stomach.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box False +
Senior User

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2005 at 6:24am
patrioteagle,

I have first-hand experience with the question you are dealing with at the moment, as detailed ad nauseam in my personal statement on this website. I absolutely concur with George that you will be vigorously interrogated at length regarding the drug use you report.

To give you a synopsis of my experience with my CIA polygraph .. I admitted to my small use of marijuana a few months prior to my polygraph. I wound up spending something like 5 hours at the polygraph office arguing with them that my only drug use was my reported one-time marijuana experience. Further, my polygraph was a "specific-issue" polygraph about this drug use, not a "full-scope" polygraph screen. So you can imagine how in a full scope polygraph this phenomenon can snowball...

False +

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ruckover
User

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 10:14am
Prior to the poly, I was asked what research I had done on the procedure.  I acknowledged that I had done very little research and believed that it must be accurate, otherwise they wouldn't use it.  I was never asked any questions about my "research" during the actual examination, therefore I was never deceptive during the test.   

I avoided reading anything about CMs because I wanted to try to pass without them (as I intended on being completely honest).   

My exam was finished in just over 2 hours and I was informed that I had passed.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ruckover
User

Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 10:16am
patrioteagle wrote on Jan 26th, 2005 at 11:50pm:

I have nothing to hide, but just the thought of embarrassing questions and having to answer them makes me sick to my stomach.

I was not asked any question that slightly bordered on embarassing (during the poly that is - the psych exam questions were a little more personnally sensitive in nature).  It was all very business-like and relevant to the position.  I don't know if that's true for everyone, however.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anxietyguy
Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 4:23pm
Ruckover wrote on Feb 4th, 2005 at 10:16am:

I was not asked any question that slightly bordered on embarassing (during the poly that is - the psych exam questions were a little more personnally sensitive in nature).  It was all very business-like and relevant to the position.  I don't know if that's true for everyone, however.

Well I can tell you I was asked specifically about my sexual tendencies for a police officer position. Invasion of privacy at the very least. Some would argue relevant to the position,but is nothing sacred? Some polygraphers at least are not as invasive, others tend to play God.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 4:25pm
None of it matters for me since I received the rejection letter.  I guess I'm a little relieved since I believe that the process is very stressful and very rigorous.  Good luck to everyone that wants to work for the CIA.

IP Logged

Possible upcoming CIA poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X