Normal Topic Drug Policy (Read 5164 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box WhiteHemi04
New User

Drug Policy
Jan 19th, 2005 at 9:07am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Ok right now im in college getting a criminal justice degree, i plan someday to either get a federal job or fly for marines or chp, careers along that line, since ive been in college ive smoked marijuana about 6 times, i know these agencies do not condone this, but dont neccesarily disqualify me for this, what can i do to help, and what are my chances in a background investigation, i plan to be completely honest, this day is still far off but i need to plan ahead for it, anyways any advice would be appreciated

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Drug Policy
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 7:40am
For reference, here is the current FBI drug policy with regard to hiring:

Quote:
Drug Policy

The FBI is firmly committed to a drug-free society and workplace. Therefore, the unlawful use of drugs by FBI employees will not be tolerated. Furthermore, applicants for employment with the FBI who currently are using illegal drugs will be found unsuitable for employment. The FBI does not condone any prior unlawful drug use by applicants. The FBI realizes, however, some otherwise qualified applicants may have used drugs at some point in their past. The following policy sets forth the criteria for determining whether any prior drug use makes an applicant unsuitable for employment, balancing the needs of the FBI to maintain a drug-free workplace and the public integrity necessary to accomplish its law enforcement mission.

Criteria

* An applicant who has used any illegal drug while employed in any law enforcement or prosecutorial position, or while employed in a position which carries a high level of responsibility or public trust, will be found unsuitable for employment.
    * An applicant who is discovered to have misrepresented his/her drug history in completing the application will be found unsuitable for employment.
    * An applicant who has sold any illegal drug for profit at any time will be found unsuitable for employment.
    * An applicant who has used any illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991), other than marijuana, within the last ten years or more than five times in one's life will be found unsuitable for employment.
    * An applicant who has used marijuana within the past three years or more than a total of 15 times in one's life will be found unsuitable for employment. 

To determine whether you qualify under the FBI's drug policy, please answer the following questions. If you answer "YES" to any of these questions, you should NOT apply for FBI employment.:

1. Have you used marijuana at all within the last three years?
   2. Have you used marijuana more than a total of 15 times in your life?
   3. Have you used any other illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991) at all in the past 10 years?
   4. Have you used any other illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991) more than a total of five times in your life?
   5. Have you ever sold any illegal drug for profit?
   6. Have you ever used an illegal drug (no matter how many times or how long ago)while in a law enforcement or prosecutorial position, or in a position which carries with it a high level of responsibility or public trust?

I am not aware of any federal agencies with stricter drug policies than the FBI's. Thus, your use of marijuana six times (provided it's not within the past three years) should not disqualify you.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box hopeful
New User

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 6:57am
Yeah but it states in the criteria "within the last 3 years or more than 15 times."  The age limit begins with age 23 and in the past 3 years some applicants would have still been in college.  I'm not sure but I'm hoping that it's one or the other and not both.  What do you think?
Quote:
For reference, here is the current FBI drug policy with regard to hiring:

I am not aware of any federal agencies with stricter drug policies than the FBI's. Thus, your use of marijuana six times (provided it's not within the past three years) should not disqualify you.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 7:37am
hopeful,

The FBI guidelines are quite clear in stating that if a person can answer "yes" to any of the six conditions enumerated, he/she should not apply for FBI employment.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box hopeful
New User

Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 9:50pm
True the question part of the policy is clear in you should NOT apply, however the policy in itself is not...It states in the last 3 years and then italicizes the or more than 15 times.  I'm thinking it means both, however several people I've talked to states the or means make a choice b/c it could have said and or both but it stated or italicized...(:

IP Logged

Drug Policy

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X